This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ska bands

13»

Comments

• Start a band.
  • I'm just starting to get into it, after years of people saying that it's "up my alley." I had never thought to actively pursue it, until about a week ago.

Gotdamn is this shit up my alley. Holycrap. Also, Spanish ska is perhaps even more awesome than English, but I shall reserve judgment until I am no longer a ska-padawan.
  • Spanish ska
    Voodoo Glow Skulls.
  • edited November 2009
    Spanish ska
    Voodoo Glow Skulls.
    Look up Cellphish, they're like ten times better.

I saw VGS at a show with Mighty Mighty Bosstones this summer, and man I just can not get into them. The whole vibe they put out on stage is kind of douchebaggy and obnoxious, which is not the sort of attitude I look for in any band, but is especially off-putting in a ska band. Supposedly they're extremely nice guys in person, but the whole "we're really badass" persona just ruins everything about their music for me.

But good to hear you're getting into ska, Yosho.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • News to me: Ska-jazz exists, and it is awesome.

• Gosh darnit, this split is so awesome. Everyone should get it.

• I have given Ska more than its fair share of tries, but sorry guys, I dislike it, the genre just annoys me. Maybe it's just what I've heard (which includes part of each of the videos posted here.) But if that's an indicative of the genre as a whole, then it's not my thing.
  • I have given Ska more than its fair share of tries, but sorry guys, I dislike it, the genre just annoys me. Maybe it's just what I've heard (which includes part of each of the videos posted here.) But if that's an indicative of the genre as a whole, then it's not my thing.
    How about this?
  • The only thing I really miss about Gainesville is the local ska scene. The only real problem is that the one bar that has all the ska shows (1982) is one of the only all-ages venues in town so I feel like an old man whenever I go to a show and I'm only 20. Really bummed that I probably won't be able to make it back up for The Know How's reunion show. They're one of the 2 local bands that have made it that I haven't seen live (Tom Petty's the other).

Angry Banana is an awesome band. Might be a little hard to get a hold of though.
    The Cat Empire are amazing, but they almost never come to the South-East. I'd be willing to drive to see them if they came within 3 states or so.
    cumshot (disregard the name) sound a lot like Streetlight, but with more Russian.
    Death March Kantai/Hyakki no Gyoretsu/Asakusa Jinta are a little out there, but there's solid brass and upright-bass action.
    Surprised nobody's mentioned Fishbone. Their live shows are made of infectious energy.
    Kemuri's another one of those J-Ska bands that're very much worth a listen.
    Pain! They did the Jabberjaw song that used to play on Cartoon Network in the '90s.
    Pistol Valve's CD "Stick 'em Up!"
    Russkaja
    Ska-P! They epitomize the Spanish awesomeness that YoshoKatana was talking about.
    Talco is one of my favorites right now. They play pretty much exactly what I want ska to be, even if it is Italian.
    Ленинград (Leningrad) are also quite good. So good that they were banned from playing in Moscow.
  • The song was good, the mix needed some work, it could have been the video though.
  • edited June 2010
    The first Bosstones album mixes heavy metal and hardcore punk with short outbursts of ska. It seems a little weird at first, but it could be more your thing.

Or you might just not like ska. That's fine too.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2010
    The Cat Empire are amazing, but they almost never come to the South-East. I'd be willing to drive to see them if they came within 3 states or so.
    They also Just released a new album, or are releasing it in the next week or two, called "Cinema". But seriously, man, their live shows are ace, and Felix is one of the nicest dudes ever - I've already put in for my ticket to the Cinema Launch party, fingers crossed I'll get it.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • @Sail: ...eh, thanks, but no. That song did provide some mild lulz though.
  • I know. I've been listening to TripleJ since local radio kinda blows and they've been playing the first single and it's kinda meh which is really disappointing.
  • edited June 2010
    I know. I've been listening to TripleJ since local radio kinda blows and they've been playing the first single and it's kinda meh which is really disappointing.
    Wait, where are you located, roughly? If you live in the states like I kinda assumed, then you're officially the first American I've discovered who listens to Triple J(well, except for inside Australia, but that's understandably different).
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'm in Orlando, so good guess. I got their live recording of The Cat Empire at Burnie and figured if they played that kind of stuff regularly they couldn't be that bad a station. So far they have yet to disappoint. Quite the opposite really, I'm liking what I hear.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm in Orlando, so good guess. I got their live recording of The Cat Empire at Burnie and figured if they played that kind of stuff regularly they couldn't be that bad a station. So far they have yet to disappoint. Quite the opposite really, I'm liking what I hear.
    They're always good, but they're really at their peak on the 26th of January(Australian time, obviously) for the Triple J hottest 100, on Australia day. It's always brilliant - and They're pretty much the only national station that isn't a pure corporate enterprise - Most cities, you have Triple J, Triple M, ABC, NOVA, ABC local, and a Few city specific ones - for example, as a brisbane boy, my local city station is B105 - But JJJ and ABC are government owned and run, and usually far more free with the way they behave, as they don't have to worry about advertisers or any of that, thanks to the government bucks backing them up.

Also, they do a lot of Unplugged and new music searching, bringing up local bands, rather than playing the latest top 40 from the US and UK all the time - which is frankly, awesome, because Australia is like a black hole, for most music - it comes in, but getting out, not so much.

I'd encourage you to check out the triple J wikipedia page, and the wiki page for the hottest 100. Suprisingly interesting, especially the effect they've had on other stations and local record labels.

Edit - And it was an average guess at best - if you were Australian, it'd be no problem, since the Cat empire are from the South-east and tour regularly, not to mention, back home, "Three states around" in the south east is more than half the country. Though, to be fair, you can fly between the major cities for a pittance, most of the time, so it's less of an issue.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've been looking at those Top 100 lists and I can't argue with much of it. The Impossible Music Festival they're doing soon sounds really neat. It's cool that they record all these live shows for things like this. The Like A Version thing they have going on is cool in theory, but really hit or miss. The only comparable radio station in Florida (100.5 The Buzz in Gainesville) stopped playing good music about 3 years ago because they weren't making any money and got the format changed to generic shitty rock. They're where I first heard a lot of music I listen to now (the Empire included).
  • I've been looking at those Top 100 lists and I can't argue with much of it.
    That's pretty much the way - nobody likes ALL the songs in the hottest 100, but the majority are normally awesome.
    . The Like A Version thing they have going on is cool in theory, but really hit or miss.
    I agree - it's a good idea, but it's a real "Love the song or hate it" thing, they're either awesome, or terrible, it seems, with no middle ground.
    The only comparable radio station in Florida(100.5 The Buzz in Gainesville)stopped playing good music about 3 years ago because they weren't making any money and got the format changed to generic shitty rock. They're where I first heard a lot of music I listen to now (the Empire included).
    Aw, man, that sucks - I remember the Buzz, from a fair while ago, and it sucks that they went downhill like that.