This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Podcasts

Comments

• Outside of podcasts that have already been mentioned multiple times in this thread, here's what I've been listening to:

Masters of None - I think these guys are hilarious. There really isn't anything special about it beyond that, as implied by the title. I wouldn't recommend starting with the most recent episode, though, unless you share their familiarity and burning hate for commercial radio, and their love for Groundhog Day.

Hooked: A Drugs Podcast - An informative, focused, and fascinating look at drugs from two UK drug workers.

Crimes Against Food - Silly fun and food. It might be a bit rambling for most people's taste, but I enjoy it.
  • Hooked: A Drugs Podcast - An informative, focused, and fascinating look at drugs from two UK drug workers.
    Interesting. I'll check that one out.
  • Guess I'll add some of my recent faves:

Dwarf Fortress Talk - It's all dwarves and fortresses, all the time. Except when Tarn's cat comes into the room, then it becomes an annoying-baby-talk-to-cat podcast.
    The RPS Electronic Wireless Show - The Rock Paper Shotgun guys do a podcast (occasionally). They generally talk about PC games that I care about, making it easily the best PC gaming podcast I've listened to.
    Sword and Laser - A fantasy and sci-fi book review show, hosted by Tom Merritt and Veronica Belmont. Kind of like the Geeknights Book Club shows, except that people actually read the books they suggest (ooh, burn).
    Tweet Me Harder - A rambling discussion show hosted by Messrs. Malki! and Straub. Insane.
  • I've added Remember When and Film Sack to my list.
  • then it becomes an annoying-baby-talk-to-cat podcast.
    I go "D'awwww" whenever scamps is once more destroying something or someone. Then I demand they get back to the dorfs. Also, you forgot Dorf Shorts! Why do we have zombies?!

As for podcasts, I recently picked up A Life Well Wasted. A podcast about gamers (any and all kinds) with high production values, interesting interviews, only 5 episodes and a very slow release schedule.
  • As for podcasts, I recently picked upA Life Well Wasted. A podcast about gamers (any and all kinds) with high production values, interesting interviews, only 5 episodes and a very slow release schedule.
    Not to mention awesome posters/episode art:
  • Not to mention awesome posters/episode art:
    I did say high production values. But yeah, you can buy the episode art too, which is pretty sweet.
  • I love that poster!
    Kind of like the Geeknights Book Club shows, except that people actually read the books they suggest (ooh, burn).
    I've read five or six of the suggested geeknights books.
  • edited February 2010
    Though the original intent of the book club was to get people not keen on reading to try it, it's not working so well.
    Main problem strikes me as being that: Requiring people to have read the book in order to enjoy the episode means that only people who regularly read are going to put the time in.

If you want people to do something, saying "Do this thing and then we'll talk about how great it was." isn't that encouraging.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I've read five or six of the suggested geeknights books.
    Yay
    Main problem strikes me as being that: Requiring people to have read the book in order to enjoy the episode means that only people who regularly read are going to put the time in.
    I think we might start doubling up on the book club episodes. We'll do one episode before reading, and one after reading.
  • I would probably say you should drop the after reading episode for some books. For the Hitchiker's Guide, you didn't have that much memorable to say.
  • Dave and Joel's Fast Karate(anime and video games)

The Adam Carolla Show (funiness and interviews with famous people and comedians)

The Drunk Tank (rooster teeth)

Geek Nights (all nights)

The Greatest Movie Ever (nuff said)

Imperial Holonet Radio ( a great Star Wars cast)

Kneel Before Pod (awesome cast for everything geek)

R5 Central ( anime, just started, sad it ended. Going through catalog)

Simple Tricks And Nonsense or STAN. (awesome cast by some younger people for everything geek with some movie commentary thrown in every once in a while)

Voice Of the Republic (best Star Wars podcast ever. Lots of Adult language and jokes)

Any suggestions?

What is This American Life about?
  • What is This American Life about?
    Stories about random shit. They're quite well done.
    That's the best kind of shit.
    Any suggestions?
    I notice an omission in your list: Anime World Order. Listen and Learn.
    That's the best kind of shit.
    Any suggestions?
    I notice an omission in your list: Anime World Order. Listen and Learn.
    Another omission that is strangely absent is Movies You Should See. Very well done British podcast about movies.
  • Another omission that is strangely absent is Movies You Should See. Very well done British podcast about movies.
    I constantly subscribe and unsubscribe from them. I don't know what it is about Simply Syndicated, but I just go through periods of love and hate.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2010
    Another omission that is strangely absent is Movies You Should See. Very well done British podcast about movies.
    I constantly subscribe and unsubscribe from them. I don't know what it is about Simply Syndicated, but I just go through periods of love and hate.
    That doesn't make any sense. Not inasmuch the fact that its Simply Syndicated, but that you constantly subscribe and unsubscribe to them. Why unsubscribe from anything?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • That doesn't make any sense. Not inasmuch the fact that its Simply Syndicated, but that you constantly subscribe and unsubscribe to them. Why unsubscribe from anything?
    You sound like Scott.
  • That doesn't make any sense. Not inasmuch the fact that its Simply Syndicated, but that you constantly subscribe and unsubscribe to them. Why unsubscribe from anything?
    You sound like Scott.
    If I do, then that's incidental, but the question remains: If you like something, why would you suddenly stop liking it for no apparent reason, but then go back to liking it again?
  • That doesn't make any sense. Not inasmuch the fact that its Simply Syndicatedbegin_of_the_skype_highlightingend_of_the_skype_highlighting, but that you constantly subscribe and unsubscribe to them. Why unsubscribe from anything?
    You sound like Scott.
    If I do, then that's incidental, but the question remains: If you like something, why would you suddenly stop liking it for no apparent reason, but then go back to liking it again?
    Because the nice lady came back?
  • [T]he question remains: If you like something, why would you suddenly stop liking it for no apparent reason, but then go back to liking it again?
    It's called a flight of fancy that you might (still) enjoy the podcast... till you get sick of it again.
  • Escape Pod used to be my favorite podcast. Steve Eley was a really likeable, excellent host, and he got really good stories. I've been a lot less impressed with it since Mur Lafferty took over, though. I mean, I can tell she works hard, and I'm glad there is still an Escape Pod, but it's just not the same.

Pseudopod's still good, though. And since Norm Sherman of the Drabblecast, another favorite of mine, hosts Escape Pod half the time, it's still pretty good.

I go through a lot of short fiction, actually. Escape Pod, Pseudopod, Drabblecast, the Dunesteef, Starship Sofa... they all get some pretty great stories, often by surprisingly big-name authors.
  • edited September 2010
    I just found "Down in Front". It is a cast that does movie commentaries. It is pretty good. As of this exact moment I am watching Fight Club and listening to their commentary for it.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Here's a few I've been listening to lately:

WTF with Marc Maron -- Marc Maron is a comedian, and his show is mostly him interviewing (really more like "bullshitting with") other comedians.
    RISK! -- "stories you thought you'd never tell", hosted by Kevin Allison from The State.
    Doug Loves Movies -- Comedian Doug Benson does a live show, mostly with other comedians, that's ostensibly about movies. Generally very funny.
  • Is "12 Byzantine Rulers" the same podcast as "12 Byzantine Emperors?"
  • Is "12 Byzantine Rulers" the same podcast as "12 Byzantine Emperors?"
    Yes, yes it is.
  • edited March 2011
    One of my favourite podcasts of old, both to listen to and participate in, is back, and I am very excited. Dai-Cast is a weekly show discussing Japan and Japanese popular culture from a western perspective, and sometimes goes off into other geeky tangents as well (e.g.: there was some Doctor Who news this week, and an MLP:FiM/Derpy Hooves discussion last week). The main guys who do it have great chemistry and are consistently funny, too, largely because most of them have extensive improv experience. I'm going to be on it occasionally as well when my schedule permits, so, uh, yay for that too?

If anyone's interested, you can find new episodes at http://dai-cast.tiltyhouse.com/
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I started listening to the other Scott Johnson's podcast, Film Sack. They are alright. I did get a few good laughs here and there, but honestly Paul Chapman does a better job with The Greatest Movie EVER! I think Scott has a great voice, but 4 co-hosts is too much. I can barely distinguish who is talking because they all sound the same. I find them overly critical on movies, even though Paul can be at times.

Also it's amusing to see them do similar titles to what Paul has done years ago and fun to compare. Currently I'm listening to the Red Sonja podcast, and Catherine does far better impersonations.

I've also listened to Film Sack's Running Man, Water World, and Hudson Hawk. I may listen to more to give it a fair chance, but I'm pretty sure I'd still favor The Almighty Goobezilla and his Unicorn Army.
  • I started listening to the other Scott Johnson's podcast, Film Sack. They are alright. I did get a few good laughs here and there, but honestly Paul Chapman does a better job with The Greatest Movie EVER! I think Scott has a great voice, but 4 co-hosts is too much. I can barely distinguish who is talking because they all sound the same. I find them overly critical on movies, even though Paul can be at times.
    I'm a big fan of the Instance (even though I don't play WOW anymore) and his Extra life radio before he ended that. Haven't listened to his new stuff.
  • I'm a big fan of the Instance (even though I don't play WOW anymore) and his Extra life radio before he ended that. Haven't listened to his new stuff.
    Jeremy listens to The Instance and enjoys it. I might have to give a chance just to get my WoW nostalgia fix. He seems to be very successful with his many podcasts and his co-hosts seem to do well from it as well.