This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Podcasts

124»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Scott can't act. He can't script anything. He won't tell a joke he's told before even if there is zero overlap in the audience. He call me out for "re-using" jokes in front of new people. He gets visibly disturbed if he ever hears the same story twice. He hates it when fans want his picture or autograph. If we come up with a good joke ahead of a show, he refuses to tell it again and groans on-air if I do.
    Aside from additions of my list of things not to do around Scott, that's interesting, though I did figure he's not exactly an actor. To be fair to him, scripting is a part skill, part art, and if it's not something he does often, it's understandable he can't do it. The fan thing is kinda understandable too.
    I actually can't say that I wasn't a little bit the same with Max in our radio days, to be honest, but he did get a few repetitions before I got grumpy, and I didn't ever do it on air - that's bad form for the kind of show we were doing, though not so much for Geeknights.

You know, If I had to double up on stage with someone else for comedy, Even if he can't act or script, and calls you out for re-using jokes, I'd honestly appreciate having a straight-man(in the comedy sense) like Scott to work with. It'd be challenging, and forces me to keep fresh, as well as giving me another person with sufficient intelligence and quickness - or at least, I have a pretty good appreciation of his quickness, but that might just be the way he comes across on the show, correct me if I'm wrong - to be able to challenge and probably beat me into better shape.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Scott can't act. He can't script anything. He won't tell a joke he's told before even if there is zero overlap in the audience. He call me out for "re-using" jokes in front of new people. He gets visibly disturbed if he ever hears the same story twice. He hates it when fans want his picture or autograph. If we come up with a good joke ahead of a show, he refuses to tell it again and groans on-air if I do.

It's a little annoying. ;^)
    So how do you guys manage to do those panels, especially Beyond Dungeons and Dragons, over and over again?
  • So how do you guys manage to do those panels, especially Beyond Dungeons and Dragons, over and over again?
    Rym Knows more D&D; jokes than any other man alive.
  • So how do you guys manage to do those panels, especially Beyond Dungeons and Dragons, over and over again?
    I try new jokes every time. Or at least I try to tell the same joke a different way. It's the word-for-word precise repetition that bothers me. Also if you tell a story and leave out or change details, that is also bothersome. Gotta tell it right.
  • I'd honestly appreciate having a straight-man(in the comedy sense) like Scott to work with
    Oh, he's easy to work with. He just complains. ;^)
    So how do you guys manage to do those panels, especially Beyond Dungeons and Dragons, over and over again?
    He complains about the choice of panel before and afterward.
  • Also if you tell a story and leave out or change details, that is also bothersome. Gotta tell it right.
    The guy who interrupts entertaining stories over trivial and non-relevant details is bested in annoyingness only by people who interrupt their own entertaining stories over trivial and non-relevant details.

It doesn't matter if it was a telecaster or a stratocaster. What matters is whether it sings out beautifully.
  • edited March 2011
    Oh, he's easy to work with. He just complains. ;^)
    I figured if he wasn't minimum decent, you wouldn't have 5 years of podcasts, panels, and other such things behind you. I'm just saying, like a hetro lass looking for love in the castro, I could probably do with a straight man.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Generally from what I can see from the panels, is Rym does most of the red meat of the panel and Scott effectively fills in the gaps of time with additional notes and stories to let Rym get to the next point and such. (At least that's what I witnessed from Losing should be fun and Beyond Dungeons and Dragons)
  • I figured if he wasn't minimum decent, you wouldn't have 5 years of podcasts, panels, and other such things behind you.
    Oh, he's great, don't get me wrong. But woe betide I tell a joke again. I never hear the end of it.

Scott's pony name is henceforth:

Complainey Mane.
  • I figured if he wasn't minimum decent, you wouldn't have 5 years of podcasts, panels, and other such things behind you.
    Well you know I'm sure the sex is good between them :-p
  • RymRym
    edited March 2011
    Rym does most of the red meat of the panel and Scott effectively fills in the gaps of time with additional notes and stories to let Rym get to the next point and such. (At least that's what I witnessed from Losing should be fun and Beyond Dungeons and Dragons)
    That's because I wrote those two. It's the exact opposite for Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design and Beyond Candyland, where Scott does all the work and I quip.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited March 2011
    Rym does most of the red meat of the panel and Scott effectively fills in the gaps of time with additional notes and stories to let Rym get to the next point and such. (At least that's what I witnessed from Losing should be fun and Beyond Dungeons and Dragons)
    That's because I wrote those two. It's the exact opposite for Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design and Beyond Candyland, where Scott does all the work and I quip.
    Yeah, we don't write the panels cooperatively. Therefore whoever writes the panel drives the bus. You just happened to pick panels for Zenkaikon that are Rym panels. That's why triple threat was good at PAX. Rym wrote one and I wrote two. Swapping drivers.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That's why triple threat was good at PAX. Rym wrote one and I wrote two. Swapping drivers.
    We're definitely going to write some more mini panels and have a rolling stock of panel chunks.
  • Well you know I'm sure the sex is good between them :-p
    That's because they can't do it the same way twice.
    Forum post of the day, right here.
  • My UYD suggestion got buried, so here it is again:

• I am effectively boycotting all other podcasts until I have listened to every episode of Judge John Hodgman because it is so good.
    In context of the previous posts, this is most hilarious.
  • edited March 2011
    I am effectively boycotting all other podcasts until I have listened to every episode of Judge John Hodgman because it is so good.
    Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I first listened to it when Scott linked the machine gun episode in a discussion about robots, but I didn't decide to listen to all the episodes until you reminded me it was good.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • My UYD suggestion got buried, so here it is again
    I've been listening through their episodes at your suggestion. I like it! At first I had no clue what was going on, but the same was true when I first listened to Fast Karate. I actually saw Johnathan's father's show when I was in New York last weekend. I enjoyed it.
  • edited April 2011
    Started listening to the podcast Ludology. It is supposed to be all about game theory and design as pertains to board gaming. I don't know if I can keep listening. First off, at least one of the hosts has entirely suspect taste in board games. These two points have already been made halfway into the first episode:
    - One host conflated non-linear levels in board games with games being a test of skill. In his mind, games with linear levels are unskilled experiences tossing you from one cutscene to the next, so therefore the direct opposite must be true to complete his analogy. To further his point, he used World of Warcraft as an example of non-linear gameplay.
    - The other claimed that unless you are playing a defined adventure such as a dungeon crawl with a set objective, that tabletop roleplaying games are not actually games.

I feel like I am listening to the anti-GeekNights.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • - The other claimed that unless you are playing a defined adventure such as a dungeon crawl with a set objective, that tabletop roleplaying games are not actually games.
    Even as a person who plays lots of role playing games I kinda agree with that. It all comes to what definition of game one uses. I think that word game implies in it among other things clearly defined conditions for winning and losing, role playing games don't have that, thus they are not games in my opinion. I still call them role playing games and have no problem doing so. In a same vein I call video games like Sims and Dwarf fortress video games even when they don't fill my definition of a game.
  • Even as a person who plays lots of role playing games I kinda agree with that.
    Most common definitions of "game" in the industry:

1. A series of interesting/meaningful decisions.
    2. A competitive test of skill.
  • Most common definitions of "game" in the industry:
    Want to define what industry? There are quite a lot of thing that have something to do with things called games. Also is that 1 or 2 -situation or does thing have to include both to be considered a game?
  • I am effectively boycotting all other podcasts until I have listened to every episode of Judge John Hodgman because it is so good.
    Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I first listened to it when Scott linked the machine gun episode in a discussion about robots, but I didn't decide to listen to all the episodes until you reminded me it was good.
    I tried a couple but I just can't listen to them. If they were one third the duration then maybe they would pop. As is, they're too much of a chore for insufficient payoff. And I'm a fan of Hodgman.
  • I tried a couple but I just can't listen to them. If they were one third the duration then maybe they would pop. As is, they're too much of a chore for insufficient payoff. And I'm a fan of Hodgman.
    Are you kidding? They're, like, laugh-a-minute for me. Have you listened to the lifesized Ernie doll one?
  • Want to define what industry?
    Videogames and tabletop games primarily.

They're two alternate and, in my opinion, equally valid definitions of game.
    There are quite a lot of thing that have something to do with things called games.
    And almost noone would even consider for a second that anyone here was talking about them. Pattycake is a "game," yet it has only slightly more redeeming qualities from any interactive perspective than Farmville. "Games" like Farmville or Pattycake are indeed "games," but they effectively exist in an entirely different industry from anything that falls under either of the above two definitions.
  • I tried a couple but I just can't listen to them. If they were one third the duration then maybe they would pop. As is, they're too much of a chore for insufficient payoff. And I'm a fan of Hodgman.
    Are you kidding? They're, like, laugh-a-minute for me. Have you listened to the lifesized Ernie doll one?
    I listened to the first three or four before stopping. Now that I'm listening to it, Sesame Street Justice is hilarious.
  • edited August 2011
    I've been listening to some podcasts the past couple of days. I found the latest episode of Brainy Gamer to be particularly good. I also began listening to a Simply Syndicated podcast, Nerd Hurdles. I've listened to 3 episodes so far, the latest one - 124 – Going To The Movies, 115 – Oh, Kanada, and 95 – The Urine Review. All of these were very interesting. The Urine Review has some strange drunk stories. I tried listening to the video game episode, episode 103, but the opening bit made it sound like it was all about Dungeons and Dragons and other games I don't care for. The third podcast I've listened to recently is another from Simply Syndicated, Tech It Or Leave It. It's good for what it is, a podcast about the latest tech news, but I found it a little boring because I was already up on the news, and the podcasters didn't add much insight. Additionally, such a podcast makes it hard to listen to previous episodes. I guess this one's just not for me.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Finally hit inbox zero on my podcasts, but rather than diving into the backlogs of my favorites, this time I've decided to add a new gaming podcast, The D6 Generation, because one of the hosts is a fellow writer at Wired, and all of them do a killer job at covering tabletop gaming on Twitter. Will have to see how their podcast stacks up. I'm already kinda groaning though because it's one of those shows that puts out 2 hour episodes, so we'll see.