This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dr. Horrible - Joss Whedon Mini-Movie - Free Online, This Week Only

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I would almost prefer an ending where hammer becomes a villain and gets defeated by Dr.H who gets the hero's treatment.
    Yeah, but "almost" is the key word there.
    Also,
    • Bad Horse pwns
    • Penny saying "Captain Hammer will save us" was so sad
    • Red costume FTW
    • Scary fangirls are scary
    • When Dr Horrible said "Don't", did he know what would happen? It seems that way.
    Act II was the best Act though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Is it just me, or did Red Suit Dr. Horrible look a bit like Vash the Stampede?
  • Best use ever of the term "'tard" in song.
  • I loved this and would love to see more like it.
  • I'm going to buy the DVD, as long as Australia doesn't get screwed in that regard.
    Like Li_Akahi, I want to see more of this, and the only way to truly ensure that is to make it financially successful.
  • edited July 2008
    On a side note it looks like if you buy the season pass on iTunes it is $4. So it's a buy 2 get 1 free sorta thing.
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • edited July 2008
    I tried buying them on iTunes that way, and it only gave me Acts 1 and 2. I think it may just be that they didn't update the all-together price on the main Dr. Horrible page when they added Act 3. Dammit, Apple, if you're going to feature something on the front page of the iTunes store, the least you could do is make sure everything works when you update it with new content. ><

Ah yeah, just checked again now, and it's been fixed to $6 now. Either way, you don't get a discount on buying them all together.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Notably, in the master plan on the Dr. Horrible site, they will release DVDs in the near future.
  • Bad End?
    Loved it...so full of win, and evil.
    Did anyone else think the death ray gun looked just a bit too similar to the stun guns from firefly?
  • Did anyone else think the death ray gun looked just a bit too similar to the stun guns from firefly?
    A little. But hey, recyclable props, means lower budget!
  • edited July 2008
    For some reason the site isn't letting me watch any of the videos. I go to the video page, and all I get is the video window from Hulu reading "This video is not available at this site." Any suggestions?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Odd. It still works for me.
  • Did anyone else think the death ray gun looked just a bit too similar to the stun guns from firefly?
    A little. But hey, recyclable props, means lower budget!
    I think that was on purpose. You could even see him put a 'death' sticker over the the 'stun' part of 'stun gun'!
  • It was cute.
  • It was deliciously sad :D
  • Lame ending was laaaame.
  • edited July 2008
    For some reason the site isn't letting me watch any of the videos. I go to the video page, and all I get is the video window from Hulu reading "This video is not available at this site." Any suggestions?
    Where do you live?
    Post edited by Tyashki on
  • edited July 2008
    Where do you live?
    Hmm, well, even in Australia it's all good with Dr Horrible streaming.
    If you're still having trouble, linkigi, there's already web rips on torrents for .flv files.
    I downloaded those myself, but I certainly fully intend to get some money to Joss Whedon for this awesomeness, once he gives me the chance to do so.
    I want the DVD, which is unusual for me since I tend to prefer files on an HDD, but Australia may get screwed with that, and it's not on the Australian iTunes Store (though I hate DRM anyway).
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • It wasn't good in Australia originally, Hulu being US only. But they updated it to work for us. I don't know if the same happened for elsewhere in the world.
  • I live in Canada, and the Hulu versions of the videos worked for me, thankfully.
  • Ah yeah, just checked again now, and it's been fixed to $6 now. Either way, you don't get a discount on buying them all together.
    It's still shows the season pass (all 3 episodes) as $3.99 for me.
    Well, you can't always get happy endings. But imagine a world with out sadness, we could not know what happiness really is :P
  • It's still shows the season pass (all 3 episodes) as $3.99 for me.
    Freakin' US iTunes store gets all the good deals and titles... *grumblegrumble*
    Well, you can't always get happy endings. But imagine a world with out sadness, we could not know what happiness really is :P
    It has nothing to do with an ending that was happy or sad, it was Whedon resorting to a random, out of place killing of a character. Again. I liked it in Serenity because it fit and upped the tension (even though I hated losing the character).

But in the musical? Whedon was sloppy and lazy.
    It has nothing to do with an ending that was happy or sad, it was Whedon resorting to a random, out of place killing of a character. Again. I liked it in Serenity because it fit and upped the tension (even though I hated losing the character).

Oh you mean, a killing of a character that was pretty much the reason Dr. Horrible couldn't become a real villain and with her death he could truly embrace his evil side. Yea... that's random..... huh?
  • It's very reminiscent of the Rorschach origin story from Watchmen.

"It was Kovacs who whispered 'Mother' then, muffled under latex.

It was Kovacs who closed his eyes.

It was Rorschach who opened them again."
  • I actually liked the ending. I thought it would be fail for Dr. Horrible and it wasn't. I didn't expect that.
  • edited July 2008

Oh you mean, a killing of a character that was pretty much the reason Dr. Horrible couldn't become a real villain and with her death he could truly embrace his evil side. Yea... that's random..... huh?

He didn't truly embrace his evil side. Doesn't he sing that he feels nothing anymore because of her death? So, if anything he's just running on autopilot unable to move past her death at all.

And his "evil" side is only evil because it is against the "status quo." He wants to make a better world by changing the system and breaking it down.

In my opinion, a better ending, which I've seen mentioned elsewhere, would be Penny realizing what a douche Captain Hammer was (as she had begun to off and on throughout) and joining up with Dr. Horrible. That would have been fun.
    Post edited by RyienKu on

• It has nothing to do with an ending that was happy or sad, it was Whedon resorting to a random, out of place killing of a character. Again. I liked it in Serenity because it fit and upped the tension (even though I hated losing the character).

He didn't truly embrace his evil side. Doesn't he sing that he feels nothing anymore because of her death? So, if anything he's just running on autopilot unable to move past her death at all.

And his "evil" side is only evil because it is against the "status quo." He wants to make a better world by changing the system and breaking it down.

In my opinion, a better ending, which I've seen mentioned elsewhere, would be Penny realizing what a douche Captain Hammer was (as she had begun to off and on throughout) and joining up with Dr. Horrible. That would have been fun.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. The tragedy of Penny's death coupled with her dying words ("Captain Hammer will save us") makes for the sort of ironic tragedy that makes a villain both more human and more believable. If Penny had joined up with him, he wouldn't have a particular reason to be villainous; now, he's tortured and heartbroken, ripe for a life of evildoings.

Penny joining up with him would've been a cheap, sappy ending.
  • I disagree wholeheartedly. The tragedy of Penny's death coupled with her dying words ("Captain Hammer will save us") makes for the sort of ironic tragedy that makes a villain both more human and more believable. If Penny had joined up with him, he wouldn't have a particular reason to be villainous; now, he's tortured and heartbroken, ripe for a life of evildoings.

Penny joining up with him would've been a cheap, sappy ending.
    Dr. Horrible isn't so much a villainous villain though. He's a guy who wants to change the world for the better, through means others see as evil. Which is the best sort of "villain."

While I won't disagree there is some good irony there, it comes off forced and hokey.

I think killing Penny out of the blue was cheap and sappy myself. *shrug* That's not too surprising out of Whedon though.