This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Important: Ignore the troll

Comments

• (sigh)

If you want me to be banned then I shall ban myself, but by my terms. In a couple days or so, I will make a thread with numerous riddles. If anyone (or group effort) can solve all of my riddles, I will banish myself from posting on this site ever again. (Exception: I will make one more post sometime around November.)

Let see how smart everyone is. Also, I will not allow a few people to partake in this challenge.

Those Banned From 'Ban Jen 4 EVA' Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------

One Sin - You're out. You're a killjoy, sorry.

Mrs. MacRoss – You're out. But, Mr.MacRoss is in. I fear Mr. MacRoss is a beaten man. So I will try to bring some joy to his life in the quest of banning me. Mr.MacRoss please seekhelp.

Myself - You're out. I can't allow a suspected mouth-breather to partake in this challenge.

Omnutia - You're out. Wait. You're In. The fact that I like bunnies and you have a nice bunny avatar keeps you in this contest.

HungryJoe - You're out. Wait. I don't care what Rym and Scott say behind your back, you're in.

Rym and Scott - Out. They say mean things about HungryJoe. And, they haven't reviewd Gurren Lagann yet.

Q!!! We don't have time for your games!
    edited August 2008
    However, I used to like to think that this board had higher standards. Maybe not.
    "Intelligent discussion in our forums", was that not something similar to what Scrym used to advertise the forums on the show?
    Plenty of people have contributed a lot less,
    People can contribute less than nothing?

EDIT:
    Myself - You're out. I can't allow a suspected mouth-breather to partake in this challenge.
    That makes no sense, what is the joke supposed to be? Either way, how would you ban me? You have no banning rights on this forum whatsoever, only Rym and Scott have those as far as is known.
    Post edited by ... on
  • (sigh)

If you want me to be banned then I shall ban myself, but by my terms. In a couple days or so, I will make a thread with numerous riddles. If anyone (or group effort) can solve all of my riddles, I will banish myself from posting on this site ever again. (Exception: I will make one more post sometime around November.)

Let see how smart everyone is. Also, I will not allow a few people to partake in this challenge.

Mrs. MacRoss – You're out. But, Mr.MacRoss is in. I fear Mr. MacRoss is a beaten man. So I will try to bring some joy to his life in the quest of banning me. Mr.MacRoss please seekhelp.

Omnutia - You're out. Wait. You're In. The fact that I like bunnies and you have a nice bunny avatar keeps you in this contest.

HungryJoe - You're out. Wait. I don't care what Rym and Scott say behind your back, you're in.

Rym and Scott - Out. They say mean things about HungryJoe. And, they haven't reviewd Gurren Lagann yet.

Edit: edifolco25 is out. This is no game. Actually it is a game, but I'm serious about banning myself.
  • edited August 2008
    We're not going to get all big brother in these forums. We want open discussion, even if annoying and offensive.
    So what's with closing the religious debate threads?
    I'm not censoring anything by closing a thread. I'm simply preventing repetition, aka, SPAM. If someone had something new to say, I would not close the thread.

It's all about equal protection. The same rules apply to all people here equally. If you want to ban Jen, tell me what rule did Jen break to justify the banning? If the rule doesn't exist, make one up. I'll then apply that rule equally to all members of the forum. I see a lot of other names on those pyramid threads up there, so be careful what you wish for. I also see a lot of you feeding the troll. If you want a troll to go away, but you also feed it, you have only yourself to blame if it sticks around. If you want it to die, starve it to death.
    She's spamming nonsense. If you close religious threads because it's a repetition of the same thing, then you should close all threads that discuss the same topics. Let's close the Top 500 Albums thread, because it's just a subjective discussion about artistic taste like a discussion about literature. Jen posts nonsense; the specific wording happens to be different each time, but it's still nonsense. The religious debates have different specific wording every time, but still wind up being fundamentally the same thing.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the inconsistency there, but you at least need to be honest about it. Right now, you're applying your reasoning in an obviously inconsistent - dare I say irrational - fashion. If we can ignore the troll, you can ignore the religious discussions. If we can ignore the troll, you can ignore spam.

And actively stopping discussion about a particular topic is PRECISELY censorship.

EDIT: Also, if we are the forum, and the forum wants someone banned, then you should do it, no?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Jen hasn't broken any rules moreso than anyone else. In the interest of fairness, if we ban Jen, there has to be some rule that she violates. Also, we can't just go creating rules post-hoc to ban people. We need to create the rule, then see if it is broken afterwards. The rule must apply equally to all people in the forum. We can't ban people on the basis that other people don't like them. How would you feel if you were banned because the other people decided they didn't like you? It's absolutely not fair.

I have always been a man of principle. GeekNights has no advertisements. We don't lie to you. We accept all comers. The only things that will get you banned from the forums are bad spelling/grammar with unwillingness to improve, and spam. If you want to ban Jen on the basis of spam, citing the pyramids, I will gladly ban everyone who created a pyramid.
  • Jen hasn't broken any rules moreso than anyone else. In the interest of fairness, if we ban Jen, there has to be some rule that she violates. Also, we can't just go creating rules post-hoc to ban people. We need to create the rule, then see if it is broken afterwards. The rule must apply equally to all people in the forum. We can't ban people on the basis that other people don't like them. How would you feel if you were banned because the other people decided they didn't like you? It's absolutely not fair.

I have always been a man of principle. GeekNights has no advertisements. We don't lie to you. We accept all comers. The only things that will get you banned from the forums are bad spelling/grammar with unwillingness to improve, and spam. If you want to ban Jen on the basis of spam, citing the pyramids, I will gladly ban everyone who created a pyramid.
    Then why are you closing religious debate threads? If those are spamming, then what Jen is doing is spamming too.
  • We're going to PAX now. Bye.

Respond directly to Pete's post please, point by point.
  • edited August 2008
    In Scott's defense, closing a thread is much less draconian than banning a person.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited August 2008
    Yea, I also get annoyed by closed religious discussion threads. Unless your going to sticky one thread on religion and make the the religion debate thread, just let them peter out on their own. Especially when a thread I start get's closed..... When I still want to comment in it.

I'm in favor of keeping religion threads and keeping Jen around :-p I gotta be a minority.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • (sigh)

Edit: edifolco25 is out. This is no game. Actually it is a game, but I'm serious about banning myself.
    Tsk, if you're going to no sell my ST:TNG joke, then I don't want to play anyway.
  • Guys, ladies, misc.. Jen is just some loser kid. It's not that big a problem. The stuff it posts is just stupid kids stuff. If we keep it around long enough and become more mature and in time be a member of the forum.
  • edited August 2008
    We're going to PAX now. Bye.
    OK, fine. You can explain your irrationality when you get back.

In the meanwhile, everyone should just try their best to ignore the troll.

An "Ignore Poster" feature would be wonderful.
    Yea, I also get annoyed by closed religious discussion threads. Unless your going to sticky one thread on religion and make the the religion debate thread, just let them peter out on their own. Especially when a thread I start get's closed..... When I still want to comment in it.

I'm in favor of keeping religion threads and keeping Jen around :-p I gotta be a minority.
    Aye, I concur. If we have one, we should have both. Hell, I'm sure Jen would be a lively addition to the religious debate threads.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • HungryJoe - You're out. Wait. I don't care what Rym and Scott say behind your back, you're in.

Rym and Scott - Out. They say mean things about HungryJoe.
    That really hurts my feelings, Jen. I don't know if I'll be able to make it home today for all the tears I'll cry.
  • TheWhaleShark, you getting very close to getting banned from my riddles game.

I will self-ban myself, if you guys can answer all my riddles. "Problem" gone. The riddles won't be terribly hard, but I'm not going to make them that simple. If everyone on this forum is as smart as they proclaim then a battle of wits shouldn't be a problem. I came up with this solution to ease all the fragile minds on this forum while stroking your frail egos in solving my puzzles. I look forward to the challenge!
  • Sorry, no dice.

I will self-ban myself, if you guys can answer all my riddles. "Problem" gone. The riddles won't be terribly hard, but I'm not going to make them that simple. If everyone on this forum is as smart as they proclaim then a battle of wits shouldn't be a problem. I came up with this solution to ease all the fragile minds on this forum while stroking your frail egos in solving my puzzles. I look forward to the challenge!
    I'm actually a bit curious as to what you'd offer as riddles. Think you can keep it all in one thread? No sense in cluttering up multiple threads with it, no?

Riddle me this Batman, "The maker doesn't want it, the buyer doesn't use it, and the user never knows they're even using it. What is it?" (a very old riddle, but one of my favorites)

• Tsk, if you're going to no sell my ST:TNG joke, then I don't want to play anyway.
    After talking with the Continuum, and with grave consideration, Edifolco25 has been reinstated in the game.
  • Coffin?
    Yep! That was quick! Nice job.
  • edited August 2008
    "We eight march forward, never back, to protect the king from the foes attack." Easy but I could come up with at such short notice.
    Post edited by Omnutia on

I'm actually a bit curious as to what you'd offer as riddles. Think you can keep it all in one thread? No sense in cluttering up multiple threads with it, no?
    It will be one thread only. I will post my riddles with a list of individuals who cannot participate. If a banned user participates, the contest is null and void. Although some of riddles could possibly have more than one answer, if it looks good, I will accept it as 'Solved'.
  • "We eight march forward, never back, to protect the king from the foes attack." Easy but I could come up with at such short notice.
    Pawns on a Chess Board
  • edited August 2008
    "We eight march forward, never back, to protect the king from the foes attack." Easy but I could come up with at such short notice.
    That's a chess pawn, right?

EDIT: Aw, I was beaten by 10 seconds.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • edited August 2008
    Ok, here's another one of my favorites growing up:

You're Robin Hood and you've been caught by the Sheriff and you stand in court in front of the masses. The King to the crowd, "What shall we do with him?"

Those with royal blood cries out, "Cut off his head!"

The rich cry out, "Hang him!"

The commoners, to whom you are a hero, cry out, "Set him free!"

The King is stuck with a problem. He wants you to be executed, but he doesn't wish to upset his people. So he has a fiendish plan. He says, "This is how we shall decide your fate. You will tell me a statement. I will decide if that statement is true or false. If I decide it is true, I will behead you. If I decide it is false, I will have you hanged. If, however, I cannot decide, I will set you free."

You realize that this is a tough spot you're in. Even if you try to say something that the king doesn't know about, he'll still just claim it to be true or false in spite of his ignorance of the topic. However, you realize that there IS something you could say that the king will have to set you free no matter what! What can you say to gain your freedom?
    Post edited by edifolco25 on

• Tsk, if you're going to no sell my ST:TNG joke, then I don't want to play anyway.
    After talking with the Continuum, and with grave consideration, Edifolco25 has been reinstated in the game.
    Both Edward Nygma and Frank Gorshin have told me that as long as the game is fun, then I should play along.
    Go ahead and run, Scott. Tell yourself that all's right with the world and that you're a man of integrity. Run from all your problems. Obviously, everything will be fine if you ignore us long enough.
    Go ahead and run, Scott. Tell yourself that all's right with the world and that you're a man of integrity. Run from all your problems. Obviously, everything will be fine if you ignore us long enough.
    By which he means, "Have a safe flight."
  • edited August 2008
    What can you say to gain your freedom?
    "I will be hanged."
    Post edited by Anastius on