This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Clear Benefits of Urban Living

RymRym
edited August 2008 in Flamewars
This ought to be a good one.

While there are most certainly individual exceptions, all of the demographic, electoral, and polling data suggests that the vast majority of people living outside of the orbits of major urban centers in the United States share certain characteristics and tend to act politically in a semi-unified manner:
  1. They vote Republican.
  2. They are very socially conservative.
  3. They are anti-gay.
  4. They are pro-war.
  5. They are xenophobic and/or racist.
While in the case of the first point it is debatable (barely), the rest of these are clearly undesirable and counter-productive traits. There is clearly something about rural living that engenders myopic and dangerous worldviews.

Rural culture is thus, in aggregate, dangerous to America. Discuss.

Comments

• I think you have it backwards. I think that being socially conservative, anti-gay, pro-war and racist are more of the default world views. In hunter gatherer tribes and early civilizations these things were normal and excepted, and maybe even benificial for the continuing survival of your clan.

Living in a city with many people of different types and skin colours and world views means that other behavior is acceptable and even required for smooth living and the continual survival of your city. Rural living doesn't engender myopic and dangerous worldviews, urban living engenders progressive and enlightened world views.
  • Rural living doesn't engender myopic and dangerous worldviews, urban living engenders progressive and enlightened world views.
    The net result is the same, however.
  • Unless you find a way to replace the agricultural output of said rural areas, there isn't much you can do about the population density of middle America.
  • Rural living doesn't engender myopic and dangerous worldviews, urban living engenders progressive and enlightened world views.
    The net result is the same, however.
    Sure, if you want.
    Rural culture is thus, in aggregate, dangerous to America. Discuss.
    Yes, discuss.
  • I remember watching The 'Burbs with my cousins. The opening scene had an aerial shot of the nice suburban cul-de-sac where the action was to take place. One of my cousins said to the other, "You know, people actually live like that up north." I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "Look at how they're all boxed in together."

The people in the cul-de-sac had LOADS of space. My cousin was just insane. Since then, he's built himself a house on a piece of land where he, in his words, "can't see the lights from any other human habitation". Nice.

BTW, he fits all five of Rym's enumerated characteristics.
  • I live in a small city that has the distinction of being one of the most conservative places in the state. It's the sort of place where the tallest buildings in town are still the church steeples, and it's possible to drive 5-10 miles in any cardinal direction and see farm fields to the horizon.

It's tough--damn tough--to be an Obama supporter in an area where you feel like you're surrounded by fat, indignant, ignorant corn-fed hicks. There's usually a combination of at least two to three if not all five of Rym's points visible or audible from most people I see in that area on a daily basis.
  • Can you source the data that says people in red states are xenophobic, racist homophobes?
  • Can you source the data that says people in red states are xenophobic, racist homophobes?
    Well...the states are red. So...there you go.
  • edited August 2008
    Well...the states are red. So...there you go.
    That's circular reasoning.

I don't disagree with the statement, but a hallmark of this forum is rigorous sourcing. I saw Rym and Scott ask several times yesterday for sources, and I think they need to provide them also when making broad statements about the content of polls. If you cite data, link to it.

I'll help them out, because my curiosity forced me to go looking for independent verification of the remark. Pew Research has an excellent breakdown of partisan stances on issues (with two spelling errors in the questions, which annoyed me). Here is the PDF -- simply scroll down to the appropriate area and feast your eyes on the numbers. It compares Republican (in red) responses with Democratic (in blue) responses and cross-references for a bipartisan total.

Pew, by the way, is pretty much the best.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    1. They vote Republican.
    2. They are very socially conservative.
    3. They are anti-gay.
    4. They are pro-war.
    5. They are xenophobic and/or racist.
    Didn't most of the major race riots happen in cities? I'm not sure I've ever seen a Little Italy or a Chinatown in a rural area... Wouldn't non-integration be an example of socially conservative, xenophobic behavior?
  • Didn't most of the major race riots happen in cities?
    When was the last time there was a race riot in a city? It's been decades.
  • When was the last time there was a race riot in a city? It's been decades.
    The last race riot in a city was Aug. 11, 2008, in Montreal.
  • If the gays didn't spread the AIDs everywhere, people wouldn't be so anti-gay.
  • The last race riot in a city was Aug. 11, 2008, in Montreal.
    ast majority of people living outside of the orbits of major urban centers in the United States
    I refer only to the US. ^_~
  • Even without any data on hand, I feel comfortable stating that the driving force behind homophobia and racism in rural areas is an inherent inflexibility that comes with living an extremely predictable and structured routine. I visit my girlfriend on a regular basis at her home in the farmland, and while (thankfully) she is the polar opposite of ignorant, the same can not be said for the general population. These people are absolutely terrified of change. A good example would be farm equipment - many farmers still refuse to use any equipment beyond a basic pull-tractor. Combines and multipurpose harvesters are alien devices invented by the devil to cheapen the work of farmers. I wish I were kidding, but for every wheat farm with a combine, there are two more that rely on cheap labor and even what is by all rights indentured servitude.

This behaviour, while completely irrational to people who have experienced a more liberal education, is understandable when you've been plowing the same fields for the past forty years, on land that your great grandfather clear-cut by hand. These people have known no different, and until a more effective educational system is implemented in rural areas, it's the way it's going to stay.
  • If the gays didn't spread the AIDs love and joy everywhere, people wouldn't be so anti-gay.
    FIFY
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    Didn't most of the major race riots happen in cities?
    When was the last time there was a race riot in a city? It's been decades.
    There was one in Cincinnati in 2001, which is less than a decade ago. There were a decent number of big ones in the 90s (Los Angeles, St. Petersburg FL, Crown Heights in Brooklyn), which would be only a single decade ago.
    *Edit: Jason beat me to it. :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • All right, I'll drop the "racist" and "xenophobic" points for the time being. Socially conservative, Republican, pro-war, and anti-gay still stand.

• The San Bernadino Punk Riot. In the US.
    Holy shit, I hadn't heard about that. I guess I've been out of the scene too long. I got teargassed at the same venue myself in the late 90s! It brings a tear to my eye... Also, that really doesn't count as a race riot. That's a punks/skinheads fight that turned into a riot. That stuff happens all the time.
    That's circular reasoning.
    It was a joke.
  • It really comes down to this. Urban people are social, rural people are anti-social. Thus, urban people promote a world view that people should be together, get along, advance society. Rural people want to keep people apart, have less society. Nobody wants to change.

Advancing society has become the reality of our world. People teaming up, getting along, working together, and depending on each other, has become the way the world works, and there is no going back. Through technology and economics, all human societies around the world have become interdependent and interconnected. The world view promoted by the anti-social rural folk is one that can only cause harm to the society as it is. The world view promoted by the city folk is one that promotes and advances the society as it is.

Much like many of the confederate flag wavers amongst their ranks, these rural folk are acting as if they've won a battle that they have lost long ago. The policies they are promoting are designed for a world where people live in small disconnected communities. It's already too late for that to happen. Human society went a different way, and it can't be undone. Urban people are promoting policies that advance human society as it is.

Do you want to bring people together or rip people apart? Do you want to advance the existing society, or dismantle everything we have built because you don't like how it turned out?

This will all be solved when we have robot farmers. We will build them in factories in the city, then they will drive themselves out to the land, farm it, and come back with food.
  • I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    It really comes down to this. Urban people are social, rural people are anti-social.
    Are you sure you didn't mix the two up? Rural people are often social to the point of being nosily intrusive. Urban people seem to make a virtue of ignoring one another.
  • This will all be solved when we have robot farmers. We will build them in factories in the city, then they will drive themselves out to the land, farm it, and come back with Tiberium.
  • Urban people seem to make a virtue of ignoring one another.
    We ignore the people we pass by on the street because we're on our way to meet other people and accomplish things. ^_~ Cutting the non-communicative chit-chat goes a long way toward productivity.
  • What about poverty?

Pew question: I often do not have enought money to
    make ends meet

Percent of Republicans who agree: 27
    Percent of Democrats who agree: 45

Urban areas, more densely populated by Democrats, are poorer. That's a negative aspect of living in an urban center.
  • Urban areas, more densely populated by Democrats, are poorer. That's a negative aspect of living in an urban center.
    Poorer, yes, but richer culturally and with more opportunities for advancement.
  • Urban areas, more densely populated by Democrats, are poorer. That's a negative aspect of living in an urban center.
    Poorer, yes, but richer culturally and with more opportunities for advancement.
    Tell that to the people who couldn't afford to leave New Orleans to avoid the floods.
  • I don't think social or anti-social have anything to do with it, at least not as those terms are usually meant. Or are you actually asserting a correlation between people who prefer a solitary life with social conservatives? In that case, source?

It seems to me that small communities discourage social change, because they can isolate themselves from outside ideas. This is the case whether or not the community exists in an urban area - immigrant communities, for example, have historically often been extremely insular and dedicated to maintaining their traditional ways. Within an urban center, however, community information barriers cannot be absolute, and the cross-fertilization of ideas that creates social change happens regardless. The more people there are to generate ideas, the more ideas penetrate that tradition barrier, and the more rapidly the culture as a whole changes.

It's interesting that that change has by and large been positive; I can't think of a reason off the top of my head why that should necessarily be so, but it does fit with my experience. Now if only we could fix the air quality, lack of color, and smell issues.
    Rural people are often social to the point of being nosily intrusive. Urban people seem to make a virtue of ignoring one another.
    There's a limited number of individuals I can mentally account for at any given time. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and people I pass randomly on the street are the first to go.
  • For the sake of fairness, and to stop someone talking about a point that has been cleared up: Could you strikethrough the last two points in your original post or add an edit.

I personally think you're making an A to B connection when E & D are causing A and C & D are causing B (or something like that). Urban areas can go either in the direction of an integrated community where people of different lifestyles merge and form an informed and understanding community or form isolated cultures adjacent to each other and cause major cultural friction.
  • For the sake of fairness, and to stop someone talking about a point that has been cleared up: Could you strikethrough the last two points in your original post or add an edit.
    I plan to re-open them once I have time at home to cite statistics. I've found several papers outlining racism trends in rural America. ^_~