This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Clear Benefits of Urban Living

Comments

• I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    It's useless to debate someone like that in a medium like an internet forum that relies so heavily on reading and writing.
    I think the best solution here might be to click on the "block user" link next to his name and allow other people to debate with him if they so choose.
    Block user doesn't do what you think it does.
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    It's useless to debate someone like that in a medium like an internet forum that relies so heavily on reading and writing.
    I think the best solution here might be to click on the "block user" link next to his name and allow other people to debate with him if they so choose.
    So it doesn't. ^^; That's annoying. Well, then I'll just suggest that he ignore Steve, as Steve himself has suggested.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • I think the best solution here might be to click on the "block user" link next to his name and allow other people to debate with him if they so choose.
    So it doesn't. ^^; That's annoying. Well, then I'll just suggest that he ignore Steve, as Steve himself has suggested.
    Deja vu, only different actors this time.
  • Everyone who hasn't seen it should watch this video. I apologize that it's a stupid MegaVideo link, but the video was removed from YouTube for whatever reason. I'd be curious to read what people have to say about this.
  • Yet another reason to wish for a rural life.
  • This video shows about a million reasons to avoid a rural life.
  • Yet another reasonto wish for a rural life.
    Every reason you have given for city life being bad is something that can be avoided by not being stupid. HIV rates being higher in a city should only scare someone who has unprotected sex with strangers on a regular basis.

Oh, never mind. I forgot who I was talking to.
  • HIV rates being higher in a city should only scare someone who has unprotected sex with strangers on a regular basis.
    I pointed it out because the guy who violently rapes you will also give you AIDS.
  • HIV rates being higher in a city should only scare someone who has unprotected sex with strangers on a regular basis.
    I pointed it out because the guy who violently rapes you will also give you AIDS.
    Most of the city is lit and populated at all hours. Unless you are stupid and go into back alleys at night, alone, you don't have much to worry about. In the sticks, you are frequently alone, and in danger, even during the middle of the day. Worse than that, there is nobody to hear you scream, and there's no phone service to call for help.
  • edited August 2008
    I wonder what the homosexual rape statistics are for little Jewish computer programmer guys. Probably pretty low.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I wonder what the homosexual rape statistics are for little Jewish computer programmer guys. Probably pretty low.
    I'm not little, I'm 5'11".
  • I don't think that will change the statistics.
  • Most of the city is lit and populated at all hours. Unless you are stupid and go into back alleys at night, alone, you don't have much to worry about. In the sticks, you are frequently alone, and in danger, even during the middle of the day. Worse than that, there is nobody to hear you scream, and there's no phone service to call for help.
    Maybe the area I live in isn't as "seedy" as other rural places, but people out here aren't the crazy motherfuckers you seem to think they are. Sure, the political and religious views of you average southern farmer might be pretty out of whack, but they're still some of the friendliest and most hospitable folks I've ever met. That's not to justify their views, or anything. Living around a bunch of hicks just isn't so bad when they're really friendly hicks.
  • Maybe the area I live in isn't as "seedy" as other rural places, but people out here aren't the crazy motherfuckers you seem to think they are. Sure, the political and religious views of you average southern farmer might be pretty out of whack, but they're still some of the friendliest and most hospitable folks I've ever met. That's not to justify their views, or anything. Living around a bunch of hicks just isn't so bad when they're really friendly hicks.
    Something I've noticed is that the hick people tend to act friendly on the surface. They have excellent manners, always smiling, acting friendly, but their outward attitude does not match their real feelings. City folk are honest. They let you know how they're feeling. Most of the time they are thinking "meh". I'd rather have people acting not so nice who are honest than people pretending.
  • Maybe the area I live in isn't as "seedy" as other rural places, but people out here aren't the crazy motherfuckers you seem to think they are. Sure, the political and religious views of you average southern farmer might be pretty out of whack, but they're still some of the friendliest and most hospitable folks I've ever met. That's not to justify their views, or anything. Living around a bunch of hicks just isn't so bad when they're really friendly hicks.
    Something I've noticed is that the hick people tend to act friendly on the surface. They have excellent manners, always smiling, acting friendly, but their outward attitude does not match their real feelings. City folk are honest. They let you know how they're feeling. Most of the time they are thinking "meh". I'd rather have people acting not so nice who are honest than people pretending.
    Fair enough, but I've never felt like I was in any danger or worried about the fact that nobody can hear me scream.
  • When a combine shreds you in the middle of a corn field, no one can hear you scream.
  • What kind of Combine are you talking about? Wouldn't it be Ant-lions that got you outside Urban areas?
  • edited August 2008
    When a pandemic hits, you'll wish you lived in the boonies. New York will be ground zero.

In the meantime, enjoy playing in one of your 38 uncleaned Superfund sites..

Heck, even Beacon has 4 sites.

Don't forget to take a deep gulp of some of the unhealtiest air in the country. Who cares about an increased risk of heart attacks, asthma, chronic lung disease, strokes, lung cancer and other health problems as long as your neighbors are liberal! Even babies in the womb get to enjoy the polluted atmosphere!

Of course you'll have plenty of time to talk about Nancy Pelosi during your longest commutes in the nation. And you'll have plenty of time to listen to NPR when you urbanites go nowhere while stuck in traffic.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • When a pandemic hits, you'll wish you lived in the boonies. New York will be ground zero.
    Speaking of which, the Ohio Department of Health has been running the following scare-ads on television, and I can't decide whether it's unethical:

What do you think?
  • Heck, even Beacon has4 sites.
    It's really easy to just not go there.

See, all the city problems you point out can be completely avoided by just not being stupid. I the country, no amount of smartness can save you.
  • edited August 2008
    How do you just "avoid" breathing some of the most polluted air in the country? Are you a superhero? Willingly accepting an increased risk of heart attacks, asthma, chronic lung disease, strokes, lung cancer so you can live with Democrats? Pure freaking genius. With all of those potential diseases, do you really want to trust a universal health care system?

You also haven't seemed to "avoid" a long commute.

In all seriousness, what annoys me the most about urban life is the traffic. I've NEVER had to alter my plans due to traffic here. I like being able to go where and when I want to go without having to waste my valuable time.
    Post edited by Kilarney on

• In all seriousness, what annoys me the most about urban life is the traffic. I've NEVER had to alter my plans due to traffic here. I like being able to go where and when I want to go without having to waste my valuable time.
    I'm close enough to everything that I can walk, or use mass transit. You have to get in your car to see any sign of civilization. Even if there's no traffic, if the grocery is many miles away, you still spend a lot of time in transit. I could avoid the commute if I chose to, I could just get an apartment closer to the city. Maybe I will sometime in the future.

Also, not everyone is a lawyer or a writer who can work anywhere. There are only tech jobs in cities. Another good point about cities by the way. If you lose your job, there are plenty more. Lose your job in the boonies, and get ready to move, because the pickings are slim for new employment.

As for air quality, it's fine. I don't smoke, I've never had a problem.
  • In all seriousness, what annoys me the most about urban life is the traffic. I've NEVER had to alter my plans due to traffic here. I like being able to go where and when I want to go without having to waste my valuable time.
    Unless you pull up behind one of them Amish buggies on a one lane road.
  • Something I've noticed is that the hick people tend to act friendly on the surface. They have excellent manners, always smiling, acting friendly, but their outward attitude does not match their real feelings.
    YES, especially if you are different in the slightest way, such as being able to read.
    Also, not everyone is a lawyer or a writer who can work anywhere. There are only tech jobs in cities.
    Both my wife and I are lawyers. We were both working in Louisville (the biggest city in KY - not exactly rural, but rural compared to the east coast cities), but we weren't making enough money. We moved here and we finally began making good monies. Problem solved.
    In all seriousness, what annoys me the most about urban life is the traffic. I've NEVER had to alter my plans due to traffic here. I like being able to go where and when I want to go without having to waste my valuable time.
    Or a combine, or a tractor, or a coal truck, or some stupid redneck hauling his boat.
    Or a combine, or a tractor, or a coal truck, or some stupid redneck hauling his boat.
    Come now, it's not hard to pass on an abandoned country road.
  • Both my wife and I are lawyers. We were both working in Louisville (the biggest city in KY - not exactly rural, but rural compared to the east coast cities), but we weren't making enough money. We moved here and we finally began making good monies. Problem solved.
    As much as I still argue for city, this doesn't hold up. While you do make more money in a city, the cost of living is higher, so you effectively make the same. You might make chump change out in the boonies, but you live in a mansion on a huge plot of land for almost nothing.
  • Both my wife and I are lawyers. We were both working in Louisville (the biggest city in KY - not exactly rural, but rural compared to the east coast cities), but we weren't making enough money. We moved here and we finally began making good monies. Problem solved.
    As much as I still argue for city, this doesn't hold up. While you do make more money in a city, the cost of living is higher, so you effectively make the same. You might make chump change out in the boonies, but you live in a mansion on a huge plot of land for almost nothing.
    On a related note, living out in the boonies makes it much easier to pursue agricultural hobbies and the like. I know that's probably not the best selling point on a forum like this. However, I can attest to the fact that having 20 dairy goats in the back yard and lots of friends in the food business leads to deliciousness with a decent price tag.
  • edited August 2008
    Both my wife and I are lawyers. We were both working in Louisville (the biggest city in KY - not exactly rural, but rural compared to the east coast cities), but we weren't making enough money. We moved here and we finally began making good monies. Problem solved.
    No. That's not how it worked for us. We were living in a crappy house in a crappy neighborhood.

Here the cost of living is higher, sure, but the money we make far, far exceeds the higher cost of living. The relation between pay and cost of living is not as linear a relationship as you seem to think. The cost of living in Louisville was much less, but we were also being paid very badly and the legal market in Louisville was completely saturated, so there were really no opportunities for advancement. Also, while the cost of groceries and rent is a little higher here, we've been able to give up one of our cars and we don't have to use the remaining one nearly as much as we would have to in KY.

This isn't some political argument that we have to argue about. I am relating our experience. In this instance, I have access to all of the facts and you have access to none of the facts. Trust me. I know what our financial situation was in KY (dire) and I know what it is in Baltimore (peachy).
    Come now, it's not hard to pass on an abandoned country road.
    How do you pass anything on a one lane road? How do you pass a slow tractor on a two lane road when you're at the end of a long line of cars behind the tractor and there is a steady stream of cars moving in the opposite direction in the opposite lane barring any opportunities to pass?

I worked as a lawyer in KY for twelve years. I often had to travel to court in little crappy podunk counties far away from Louisville. I was often caught behind those tractors. I know whereof I speak.

• How do you pass anything on a one lane road? How do you pass a slow tractor on a two lane road when you're at the end of a long line of cars behind the tractor and there is a steady stream of cars moving in the opposite direction in the opposite lane barring any opportunities to pass?

I worked as a lawyer in KY for twelve years. I know whereof I speak.
    Where you lived clearly had a greater population than where I am now. Out here, I'll see about eight cars every two miles during "rush hour". Then again, once you get to the nearest town it's terrible because their urban planning sucks, but there you go.
  • edited August 2008
    Look, Günter, I don't know how much driving you do, but imagine if you come up to a line of those eight cars you see at rush hour moving at ten miles an hour behind a tractor on a two lane road. To pass, you have to pass nine vehicles. Meanwhile, there is always traffic coming the other direction, limiting your opportunities to pass. I traveled through counties with very small population densities and often encountered this problem.