This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Suffice to Say

13»

Comments

• Wait for new website.
    I don't want to wait two years.
  • Wait for new website.
    I don't want to wait two years forever.
  • edited November 2008
    Wait for new website.
    I don't want to wait two years forever until computers can no longer play Duke Nukem Forever.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm really not shit talking here people. I've been working on this thing for like, two weeks now. It's actually functional, it's just not complete.
  • I can't get to Suffice to Say for some reason.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm also having trouble; Firefox is reporting a redirect loop.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Scott must be messing with the server. I also can't see everyone's avatar.
  • I can only see some peoples avatars, also. (I'm sure that was the right grammar; correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Oh joy. It seems that if you have text messaging enabled, after Scott messed with the server, it sent all of the past StS's by text, all at once, even if you already got all of them at one point. This is why I have unlimited text. :P

Can anyone confirm this?
  • yes, it happened. Nothing I could do about it. I will upgrade the laconica maybe.
  • Hey, get rid of that spambot on StS.
  • Hey, get rid of that spambot on StS.
    Spam really shouldn't be a problem. Even if a million spammers sign up, you shouldn't ever see their posts unless you follow them. Since no real person will follow a spammer, it won't be a problem. There isn't any way to ban people in laconica, at least not the version I'm running. I changed the spammer's password, and erased their messages. In the future, I'm just not going to bother. If suddenly there are are million spammers eating up the system resources, I'll just close it down. If something like that ever does happen, I will make the database available, so no data is lost. Someone smart could even take the database and set up shop elsewhere. I just don't have time to deal with this right now.
  • I'm really not shit talking here people. I've been working on this thing for like, two weeks now. It's actually functional, it's just not complete.
    Release it as beta.
  • Release it as beta.
    No.
  • Even if a million spammers sign up, you shouldn't ever see their posts unless you follow them.
    Or if you don't subscribe to anyone and just read the page as is. Which I do.
  • All set up and swimming's fine. Here's hoping this takes off and goes to awesome-town.
  • I just upgraded this. I'm still going to need some time to mess with the configuration and get it working perfectly, but for now, it's all good.
  • It seems to be working fine and the linkage to Twitter is spot-on. Any chance we'll see the Jabber/XMPP support working in both directions in the near future?
  • It's spiffy.
  • It looks ugly if you ask me. But the Twitter function works again, now we just sit and wait.
  • It seems to be working fine and the linkage to Twitter is spot-on. Any chance we'll see the Jabber/XMPP support working in both directions in the near future?
    I hope so. I'm also going to try to get the e-mail/SMS going in both directions.
  • Are xmpp updates from GTalk working properly or are those still in progress? I'm receiving them with no problems but when I try to send from GTalk it tells me I'm an unknown user despite having registered my gmail address.
  • Are xmpp updates from GTalk working properly or are those still in progress? I'm receiving them with no problems but when I try to send from GTalk it tells me I'm an unknown user despite having registered my gmail address.
    Yeah, I tested it. It's off and on. Really, they designed laconica to work with a locally running jabber server. There's still work to be done for it to work with Jabber.
  • edited April 2009
    Suffice to Say has become a pain in the ass. Using it is fine, but administering it sucks balls.

I'll keep it running, as long as people are using it. However, I'm not going to use it much anymore. Twitter wins, I give up. If at some point Laconica gets their act together, and it actually becomes awesome and easy, I'll upgrade. For now, I'm just going to leave it as it is now, and not upgrade or maintain it. If it breaks itself, that's the end. It was a nice thing while it lasted, but it never really took off.

If someone else would like to run it, I will be happy to give you a copy of the database and point the domain at your server. However, I won't do that for just anybody. You have to prove you know what you are doing, can be trusted, and such.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So will you still use StS to post to Twitter or just post to Twitter directly?
  • So will you still use StS to post to Twitter or just post to Twitter directly?
    Sometimes use StS, but mostly just Twitter.
  • The server was acting up, so I killed suffice to say. I don't know if sufficetosay was the problem, but that doesn't really matter. Nobody was using it very much anymore, so there was no point in keeping it up any longer. Maybe one day laconica won't suck ass, and we can try again. All the posts and such were creative commons, so I might make the database available after I clean stuff out, like passwords and such.
  • after I clean stuff out, like passwords and such.
    Why would leaving the passwords in the database matter? It's all hashed anyway.
  • Why would leaving the passwords in the database matter? It's all hashed anyway.
    Rainbow tables.
  • Rainbow tables.
    Meh. Well, not like it's a hard task to clear out the handful of passes.