This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good books

Comments

• Hyperion was brilliant. There's really no other way to describe it. I've got The Fall of Hyperion sitting on my desk though, and for some reason or another, I don't particularly want to read it.

As an aside, they should print it with a non-trashy-pulp-sci-fi cover... it really deserves more.
  • My next book is The Judging Eye. Very excited as The Prince of Nothing is by far the best trilogy I've read (thanks to Rym and Scott!). I just need to finish my current book, which I'm not doing a very good job of. It generally takes me half a year or so to read one book.
  • I liked all the stories in Hyperion, except for the "actually, this is story really" part of the Consul's, and small aspects of the police detective's. It's one of the best books I've read this year.

Fall of Hyperion was everything I hated about the end of Hyperion, dragged out for another 400 pages. Skip it! Seriously! If you want to know the rest of the story, and what's REALLY going on, read the wikipedia page.

Listen to my full reviews here.
  • I've got The Fall of Hyperion sitting on my desk though, and for some reason or another, I don't particularly want to read it.
    I've encountered this phenomenon as well. Even if I loved the preceding book(s), if there is too long of a gap between finishing one and starting the next I can't seem to get motivated to read it. The second I get into it though, I'm hooked. Incidentally, I am currently recovering from a case of Spock's Apathy, and my next book is
    The Judging Eye.
    I started on it today, and I already remember what was great about the Prince of Nothing. I feel like I've forgotten a lot though. Moreso names and who was from where than events.
    Blah blah blah blah shill.
    I already listened to your one on Hyperion. ^_~
  • The short story "Bicycle Repairman" by Bruce Sterling.
  • I'm not yet finished with it, but I'm really enjoying Hesse's "Siddhartha" right now, especially as someone who spent some time studying Hinduism, Buddhism, and other philosophies. I'm about a third of the way through, so I don't know where the character will wind up, but I like his statements on attaining enlightenment through experience and the importance he should place on his own self along his way.
  • I'm not yet finished with it, but I'm really enjoying Hesse's "Siddhartha" right now, especially as someone who spent some time studying Hinduism, Buddhism, and other philosophies. I'm about a third of the way through, so I don't know where the character will wind up, but I like his statements on attaining enlightenment through experience and the importance he should place on his own self along his way.
    Back in my University days I took an elective called "World Relgions" and it was an extremely interesting course, especially the Hinduism and Buddism stuff. I might have to check out Siddhartha.
  • Back in my University days I took an elective called "World Relgions" and it was an extremely interesting course, especially the Hinduism and Buddism stuff. I might have to check out Siddhartha.
    Mine was called "Asian Thought" and focused primairly on Hinduism and Buddhism, less on Daoism, even less still on Confucianism, with a small nod at Shinto. Despite focusing on only two philosophies for most of the class, I still greatly enjoyed it. The character in this book has reached the same disagreement with Hinduism, and to an extent Buddhism, that I had myself.
  • I have finished reading The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah and have found it surprisingly short compared to the other books, but the tension is just building up towards the final book. I liked it, but it's shortness kind of surprised me. I cannot wait until I start The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower.
  • I have finished reading The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah and have found it surprisingly short compared to the other books, but the tension is just building up towards the final book. I liked it, but it's shortness kind of surprised me. I cannot wait until I start The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower.
    From what I've heard, you shouldn't set your hopes too high :(
  • I am reading the Hick hikers' Guide to the Galaxy. It is very entertaining and hilarious :D
    From what I've heard, you shouldn't set your hopes too high :(
    I don't care what other people say about books, because I like to go into them fresh with no awareness of the public opinion.
  • I don't care what other people say about books, because I like to go into them fresh with no awareness of the public opinion.
    That sounds like a great way to read a lot of shitty books. :)
  • Just finished reading the Necronomicon collection of HP Lovecraft stories. Quite good, especially the later stories.
  • Now that I have all six books (so far) in the series, I'm going to re-read the John Rain books by Barry Eisler. One of my favorite lines from the series being: "Look, it's not that I don't want to sit around figuring out how to kill a sumo wrestler..."
  • edited November 2009
    White Noise by Don DeLillo
    Finished it a while ago. One of the best books I've ever read. What else is good by DeLillo, Andrew? I think I'm picking up Underworld soon.

Also finished Siddhartha recently. Great stuff. Read it right after finishing White Noise; they seem to be saying exactly opposite things about life and death. Where White Noise is propelled by the characters' fear of death, in Siddhartha characters seek to kill their egos to create a more meaningful life. Glad I read Siddhartha second. White Noise made me pretty distressed by the end. It is very convincing in its discussion of the meaninglessness of modern life, living in a consumerist society, how mass media impacts our discourse, etc. Siddhartha was quite an uplifting experience.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I picked up CD Payne's Youth in Revolt, warily aware of its upcoming film adaptation with Michael Cera as the lead, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the story and writing. It was a rather hilarious picaresque tale that reminded me of a sort of modern Huck Finn, albeit loads more vulgar and riotous. I recommend it highly.
  • White Noise by Don DeLillo
    Finished it a while ago. One of the best books I've ever read. What else is good by DeLillo, Andrew? I think I'm picking up Underworld soon.

Also finished Siddhartha recently. Great stuff. Read it right after finishing White Noise; they seem to be saying exactly opposite things about life and death. Where White Noise is propelled by the characters' fear of death, in Siddhartha characters seek to kill their egos to create a more meaningful life. Glad I read Siddhartha second. White Noise made me pretty distressed by the end. It is very convincing in its discussion of the meaninglessness of modern life, living in a consumerist society, how mass media impacts our discourse, etc. Siddhartha was quite an uplifting experience.
    If you don't mind manga then you will like Buddha.
  • I just finished And Another Thing, the new Hitchhiker's Guide book. In my personal opinion, it's certainly worthy of the series. Eoin Colfer (the new author) certainly got Douglass Adam's style down, which was impressive, nailing the offbeat humor. He managed to (by and large) dabble in and expand upon the existing universe, and pulled it off mostly really well. There were some moments, particularly in the feel of some of the characters, that felt a bit off, but nothing unforgivable. Worth a read if you liked the others, for sure.
  • I just finished the book "Wolf Totem" by Jiang Rong, and it left me thoroughly depressed. The ending was inevitable (it focusing on China and their handling of the environment), but just about as downer as downer endings can go.

Still, I'm glad that I read it. I feel that I've learned something new about my favorite animal from a man who had first-hand experience living both in competition and in kinship with them. I've also learned a little about nomadic Mongolian culture, and the way they lived with their environment in a Dersu Uzala sorta way. If their reverence for wolves was as deep as the book makes it out to be, then I'm pretty amazed.

Second to the reverence for Mongols and wolves, the book is a harsh criticism of the Chinese, their overpopulation, the way they achieve "progress", etc., and a cry for attention to the cultures and places that have been destroyed by them. The guy who wrote it went to jail in the 90's for his views and had to publish under a pseudonym to get this book out. I'm really amazed at what a record seller it was.

All in all, I still feel very sad. :( The book described numerous very cruel deaths of some animals, and nearly every named animal in the protagonist's life had a bad end. It was still a really great read with a new perspective on things that I liked, or with lots of information on things that I hardly knew anything about. But I think I might go read some Yotsuba or something now...
  • I'm reading The Odyssey and loving it. Telemakhos is my man, Athena is awesome (and kinda sexy), and Odysseus' prideful assholery is surpassed only by what a clever badass he is. I was expecting a much more difficult read when I picked the book up, but so far it's been fun, interesting, and sometimes profound, with a lot of cool stories and interesting characters.
  • The Odyssey is awesome. The Iliad, however...
  • The Iliad, however...
    As my world history teacher once described it, "Lo, he went here and killed him."
  • The Odyssey is awesome. The Iliad, however...
    Yeeeah. I didn't hate the Iliad, but...
  • I'm finally finishing Dune by Frank Herbert. I've just gotten into literary SF. Does anyone have any reccomendations?
    P.S. I love Brave New World and 1984. That's how I got into SF.
  • I'm finally finishing Dune by Frank Herbert. I've just gotten into literary SF. Does anyone have any reccomendations?
    Well if your going to go further into the DUNE set of books only go about two more in, then they go batshit crazy and while I got some enjoyment out fo them the last book actually written by him is HORRRIBLE. (everything after he died is medicore but it makes that last book at least worth reading).
  • edited January 2010
    Literary SF, you say? Here's a list.

-Hyperion series by Dan Simmons
    -The Sprawl Trilogy by William Gibson
    -Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
    -Everything Cordwainer Smith ever wrote.
    -Everything Harlan Ellison ever wrote.
    -Everything Douglas Adams ever wrote.
    -Everything Arthur C. Clarke ever wrote.
    -Everything Larry Niven ever wrote.

There's more, but that'll do ya for now.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    At the risk of sounding like a fan boy I really have to recommend The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, which you can probably find as two volumes in Shadow & Claw and Sword & Citadel. I know I called it fantasy earlier in the thread, but it's really a hodgepodge of scifi and fantasy.
  • edited January 2010
    At the risk of sounding like a fan boy I really have to recommend The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe, which you can probably find as two volumes in Shadow & Claw and Sword & Citadel. I know I called it fantasy earlier in the thread, but it's really a hodgepodge of scifi and fantasy.
    This, this, a million times this.

Also, fun fact: Gene Wolfe helped invent the machine used to manufacture Pringles.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I got Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys yesterday. I read it in about six hours. Amazing Gaiman awesomeness, as usual.

Everything that man produces amounts to why I'm going to major in creative writing.