This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Official Friday Night Party Line Thread.

Comments

• edited January 2009
    I had a lot of fun last night with this show. It was a close call that I got in at all though. I'd fallen asleep, but I'd presumed thaed calling would wake me up. It turned out it didn't. So I woke up ten minutes after we were meant to be recording, connected as quick as possible, and joined in literally as Thaed was introducing the third of forth person. He simply slipped in "and Luke" at the end and didn't even mention it. Very professional! That was why I was very quite for the first ten minutes, I was trying to sort out a microphone.

I'm off to listen to the first twenty seconds to see hat I missed!

EDIT: Wow, good edit at the start. I guess I'm quiet later on...
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Yay, Ray is back. ^____^
  • Those .38 Signo pens are amazing. I bought a bunch before I left Kyoto. They don't last very long, unfortunately. But it's much easier to write with a slightly smaller pen size... especially kanji...
  • edited January 2009
    Hey all (this is the Jason from the show),

Here is a link to the Underworld Hockey Club website: http://www.underworldhockeyclub.com/

If you register and post in the "BETA Testers Needed" thread with your computer specs, you'll get access to the download page.

P.S. If anyone has a Geeknights logo, I'm still looking for logos and ads to run along the rink boards (you can see what I'm talking about in the youtube on the site).
    Post edited by DigitalGhost on
  • Ah, that's why I couldn't find it. I kept looking for underGROUND hockey instead of underworld.

Also, have you see this game? It's seems to be a multiplayer hockey game in Korea. However, it seems to have that typical Korean Gunbound business model where they charge you money for things to trick out your character, and boost your stats.
  • Hey all (this is the Jason from the show),
    That Jason is not me, FYI.
  • For the junk problem, have any of you ever tried a "Sold It on Ebay" store? I've never personally had to look into it, but from what I've heard, it sounds like an ideal solution to the junk problem. Anyone know what the catch is?
  • Interesting to see Lisa Bettany, FNPL alumni, on TWiT today. Unfortunately, the poor girl had to deal with a bunch of lecherous 12 year-olds in the Stickam chat room, but she and Leo gave them a tongue lashing after the recording.
  • For the junk problem, have any of you ever tried a "Sold It on Ebay" store? I've never personally had to look into it, but from what I've heard, it sounds like an ideal solution to the junk problem. Anyone know what the catch is?
    The one catch is that you don't get much money. The other catch is that the nearest one of these stores is far away. It's really no different than a pawn shop. They don't have to accept everything you want to give them.
  • It's really no different than a pawn shop.
    Well, nominally, you expect to get whatever you gave to a pawn shop back. The things you give to a pawn shop are collateral for a loan. It just so happens that few people ever have the money to pay the loan back.
  • Well, nominally, you expect to get whatever you gave to a pawn shop back. The things you give to a pawn shop are collateral for a loan. It just so happens that few people ever have the money to pay the loan back.
    This is the traditional use of a pawn shop. However, using it as a place to sell off objects is a nice side effect.
  • Ah, that's why I couldn't find it. I kept looking for underGROUND hockey instead of underworld.

Also, have you see this game? It's seems to be a multiplayer hockey game in Korea. However, it seems to have that typical Korean Gunbound business model where they charge you money for things to trick out your character, and boost your stats.
    Wow the graphics are sweet. Love the vid.

Yeah, it's Underworld Hockey Club. I should probably add more underworld theme. If you get the beta, throw me an email and let me know what you think.
  • Sadly from my experience with those type of games is very poor quality when it comes to hosting of them within the US. Usually the servers are very buggy and lag to the point where it makes playing them not worth it. Some of them are very good its just that the Korean small gaming companies can't get the bigger companies to host their games and hopefully they do a good job with this game because it looks promising.
  • Sadly from my experience with those type of games is very poor quality when it comes to hosting of them within the US. Usually the servers are very buggy and lag to the point where it makes playing them not worth it. Some of them are very good its just that the Korean small gaming companies can't get the bigger companies to host their games and hopefully they do a good job with this game because it looks promising.
    Well that sucks =(.

That's good news for me though, it means once I polish up Underworld Hockey Club, there will be people interested in playing some 5v5 hockey on the net, which is why I need beta testers to play it and tell me what's broken (shameless plug).
  • Episode 39 is up.

Kelly rejoins the cast including Scott, Rym, Luke and Thaed. Here are the topics:

--"I let it run overnight" is a fun google search. What things things
    do you like to let run overnight and with what results? What would
    you like to be able to let run overnight?

--What about a computer game for misers and jerks? It would allow you
    to amass huge amounts of wealth, palaces and AI bots to order around.
    You start out by being born into royalty and deal with the intrigue of
    Louis the XIV. Or something. Or just a sandbox where you can horde,
    order and abuse at will. AI slaves! Millions of them. That's it.
    If we can't have robot slaves, we can have AI slaves. Would it sell?

--In a cage match between Naomi Klein and Ann Coulter, who would win?

--How the economic crisis is affecting podcasting.
  • I don't envy you the editing job on this one!
  • Hooray! It might sound corny, but it really does make my day every time an episode of this is released.
  • Hooray! It might sound corny, but it really does make my day every time an episode of this is released.
    That's not corny at all and I certainly appreciate your saying it.
    Dittos, this is easily my favourite podcast.
    Agreed. This definitely ties Geeknights for "Best Podcast". Most other podcasts don't even come close.
  • Fourth'd. I think it has to do with the fact that the cast usually consists of people I want to grow up to be on some small level.
  • Fifth'd. I always become all joyful when I see "fnpl_xx_final" pop up in Bashpodder.
  • Sixth...d, I love podcasts that entertain me or make me think. This does both so it pleases my brain.
  • It's a toss up between Fast Karate and FNPL but that's like comparing chalk and cheese.
  • Can I skip back a show and ask a question?
    What's so bad about gel pens?
  • edited February 2009

That's good news for me though, it means once I polish up Underworld Hockey Club, there will be people interested in playing some 5v5 hockey on the net, which is why I need beta testers to play it and tell me what's broken (shameless plug).
    The good thing is if your in the the US at least and not playing people overseas you should be fine. The only concern I would have is how the game handles NAT connections which seem to me the most trouble in the Korean games at least. Most of the time though it is due to the players themselves being connected to each other in a case of a FPS. The only information that goes back to the server is if the player is dead or not so it may show them as being alive on their screen when it show them as being dead on yours. So even after they die on your screen they can still shoot you depending on connection speed, NAT, and distance from the servers/clients. For the hockey game I'm not sure how this would translate to it but worth looking into if your going to be playing it online with that type of system.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited February 2009
    @Neito: Gel pens are fine for decorative things but a ballpoint is much more practical for day to day writing needs. This is my experience, at least.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2009
    (deleted post about "you're" vs "your")
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on

• The good thing is if your in the the US at least and not playing people overseas you should be fine. The only concern I would have is how the game handles NAT connections which seem to me the most trouble in the Korean games at least. Most of the time though it is due to the players themselves being connected to each other in a case of a FPS. The only information that goes back to the server is if the player is dead or not so it may show them as being alive on their screen when it show them as being dead on yours. So even after they die on your screen they can still shoot you depending on connection speed, NAT, and distance from the servers/clients. For the hockey game I'm not sure how this would translate to it but worth looking into if your going to be playing it online with that type of system.
    Right now the networking code uses a strict client-server architecture, there's no peer-to-peer or anything like that. So, the only NAT issue is the server must have the correct port open so the clients can see it & connect to it. Right now the networking has some syncing issues in the beginning (for the first few seconds when you join a game, everything goes wacky, then it settles down), so I want to address those before I invest any time in trying to do NAT punchthrough.

There's a dedicated UHC server that you can join, let me know if your NAT gives you any issues on that server.
  • (deleted post about "you're" vs "your")
    You still cleverly made your point :D