This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Official Friday Night Party Line Thread.

Comments

• When's the next geekchat?
  • Also known as, the Geekchat where Nine almost died, twice, due to severe laughing/lack of oxygen. Up there for best Geekchat ever.
    Got-damn, I nearly killed a man. I'm in for the next one.
  • I might try to get in on one. My current semester of university is pretty much over.
  • Well it's Thursday today so how about this coming Saturday? I recommend we start at 2300 GMT.
  • No! Saturday is bad for me. Visigoths are coming!
    Friday might work, though.
  • Ok, Sonic has been retained as editor of the hot mess that will be known as FNPL #41. Linton is also willing to hire on to do some editing as well. This bodes well for the future of the show as the editing was getting to be impossible. I'll post #41 after Sonic finishes.
  • Sonic edited the show quite well and at the speed of sound. I just posted it.
  • edited June 2009
    Thank you for the compliment, Thaed, but three hours is hardly the speed of sound. ^_^J
    In any case, I'm glad you found the quality of my work satisfactory. It was fun work. ^_^
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Thank you for the compliment, Thaed, but three hours is hardly the speed of sound.
    For how many total raw minutes? A full edit job (as opposed to a marked partial) takes at minimum 1.5x the total run time, usually more like 2x. Three hours is pretty damn good, if I recall correctly how long we were on.
  • The raw was about an hour. So my time to completion was roughly 3x.
  • I've been podcasting for what 3 years or so now? I still have a 3-1 ratio of editing time to recording time. Being able to offload that editing makes FNPL fun for Thaed again.
  • It's good to see there's another installment of FNPL. I'm hoping that Ray is back on. He's very soothing, someone you'd be OK with informing you about your new STD or that your cat was murdered.

FNPL actually took my podcast virginity. Back then I was young and naive; I thought that podcasts were for Apple users, but Thaed and his crew were sweet and gentle with me. In fact, I'm addicted now and hook up with all kinds all the time.
  • I just listened to it...

...wow...

... I am at a loss of how to put this gently, regarding the section on neutrinos:

Great episode though!
  • Steampunk music: Vernian Process.

Behold the Machine (Demo Version) is their best track.
  • edited June 2009
    That guy cannot sing. Behold the Machine's vocals are hard to listen to.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • The actual song has better vocals. That was just a demo.
  • I just listened to it...

...wow...

... I am at a loss of how to put this gently, regarding the section on neutrinos:

Great episode though!
    Did I get anything right about distribution of elements across the solar system, or did I completely miss-remember reading that?
  • Did I get anything right about distribution of elements across the solar system, or did I completely miss-remember reading that?
    You basically remembered chemical differentiation as it happens in massive bodies like the earth, where iron has sunk to the core in the center leaving silicates to float on top. However, this does not apply to all elements, since chemical affinities can change the situation, e.g. Uranium is found as a trace element in the silica rich crust and mantle because it binds to it instead of residing in the core as a pure element.

I don't quite know how well this process works on the scale of the solar system during planetary formation, so you may be entirely correct. The main reason, though, why you have dense, rocky planets near the sun is simply that it is too hot for ice to accumulate here, so the planetoids that formed stayed relatively small and couldn't start accumulating any of the Helium and Hydrogen floating around. At about 5AU (where Jupiter is) ice stays frozen so the protoplanets that formed out of the heavy stuff could grow much larger until they started accumulating gases from whence on the sky is the limit as far as size goes.

Finally, it should be noted that the differences in abundances of radioactive materials in the rocky planets may seem more significant than they are. Earth, Venus, Mars and Mercury are basically iron, nickel and silicates with tiny bits of flavor. Also, a molten core may not be that important; it is not necessarily a prerequisite for life. Life has survived lots of periods during which the magnetic field of earth was nonexistent (during the flips of north and south poles). Most importantly the heat loss from radiation is only 0.2 permille of the energy delivered onto the surface of the earth by the sun.
  • edited November 2009
    Oh My God, When will there be another FNPL? It's been nearly half a year since the last one.
    Full Disclosure: I was paid to edit the last FNPL episode. But I don't care if I get paid again or not! I just need another hit of FNPL goodness!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Dumb question perhaps but since I don't know much about classical music I got to ask it anyway. What's the name of the opening theme for FNPL?

I recently started to watch Major and I swear that in some scenes they play the exact same song as background music.
  • It's Garage Band music, I think.
  • It's Garage Band music, I think.
    I always figured it was something like that -- I've heard variations of it in several podcasts.
  • Oh My God, When will there be another FNPL? It's been nearly half a year since the last one.
    Full Disclosure: I was paid to edit the last FNPL episode. But I don't care if I get paid again or not! I just need another hit of FNPL goodness!
    yea I just listened to the geeknight eps where they interview Thaed and it made me remember there hasn't been a show in a long time, I checked the site to find that god farmers had spammed the comments lol...
  • We just wrapped the recording of Friday Night Party Line Episode #42 with Thaed, Rym, Timo, Luke (courage) Burrage, and ME! ^_^
    Tons of great discussion with wonderful guests and good times to be had by all. A no technical difficulties throughout the show either, huzzah!

It shall be up on thaed.libsyn.com this Friday, so re-subscribe if for some reason you lost your heads and unsubscribed at any point.
  • FYI, it is Wednesday night.
  • I discovered FNPL a few weeks ago, and quickly burned through all of the episodes. I'm glad to hear that it hasn't been abandoned!
  • Awesome, I powered through all the episodes over the winter and still have the feed sitting and waiting.
  • This was great fun, and I look forward to many FNPLs to come!
  • re-subscribed.
  • re-subscribed.
    I love the informal tone and the higher-function discussions. I do miss Ray. He's a very interesting bloke.