This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekRooms

Comments

• Browsing this thread for inspiration. Moved houses on Sunday and now I have an entire multi-room basement to turn into whatever sort of geek haven I want. Only thing standing in my way now is to actually unpack the rest of the house first.
    Model trains!!
    Save that until you are at least 50 yrs old.

Instead, ALL THE LEGO.

I have approximately 2 cubic meters of LEGO waiting for Otto to develop sufficient digital dexterity to separate two flat 1x1 bricks.

Some people say these are for heathens, but I say use whatever works.

• Browsing this thread for inspiration. Moved houses on Sunday and now I have an entire multi-room basement to turn into whatever sort of geek haven I want. Only thing standing in my way now is to actually unpack the rest of the house first.
    Model trains!!

Instead, ALL THE LEGO.

I'm gonna save the trains until 50, but there will be plenty of modeling. House came with a nice desk, so I decided today to take my old desk and set it up as a glue/paint workbench. Maybe I'll finally finish those last few Last Night on Earth minis now.

Also, nobody has suggested ball pit?
  • edited April 2012
    Browsing this thread for inspiration. Moved houses on Sunday and now I have an entire multi-room basement to turn into whatever sort of geek haven I want. Only thing standing in my way now is to actually unpack the rest of the house first.
    Model trains!!

Instead, ALL THE LEGO.

I'm gonna save the trains until 50, but there will be plenty of modeling. House came with a nice desk, so I decided today to take my old desk and set it up as a glue/paint workbench. Maybe I'll finally finish those last few Last Night on Earth minis now.

Also, nobody has suggested ball pit?
    Do you mean you don't have your ball pit in the living room?! Honestly...

We also incidentally bought a two room flat in the building we already live in as an office/work space/party dungeon/man cave/guest appartment. Should post pics once the shelves have been filled up with geek stuff.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • My girlfriend is probably going to go and move in in a month or so so I've been rearranging rooms. Now the living room is in the old store room where I use to park my bike (and which used to hold all the ex-girlfriend's art stuff which is now in the cellar). The bedroom is now above the living room.

There is space for a fireman's pole down from the bedroom into the middle of the living room. This is not the first time I've been in the position to position a pole, and all the other times I've done the sensible thing and settled on settling a ladder. Maybe this time I'll actually spend some brass on a brass pole.
  • Get the pole, Luke. Get The Pole.
  • That, or put in a slide.
  • After continued work with toilet rolls, I have my speakers balanced and they sound pretty good.
  • Took these to show a friend and figured I'd post them here.
  • After contemplating on whether or not I need to either get a new media tower, new TV stand, or mount my TV on the wall, I went the cheaper route.

I realized I could add another shelve to the current center and move the home theater system below and the HTPC on top. Only cost me $10 instead of $100+, which I was initially thinking of spending.

• My wall is totally cool now.

Courtesy of Ukiyo-e Heroes.
  • Just rearranged my dorm room the day after getting some antibiotics for some bronchitis. I felt so much better, and after 2 weeks of being unable to really do anything, I had a burning desire to clean and rearrange my room.

• Looks good.
  • That counts as a dorm in the Americas? A dorm room here is the size of a bed.
  • When I was at boarding school you could only get a single room in Sixth form. The rest of the time group dorms.
  • Just cleaned my apartment, so I took an iPhone panorama picture of the main room.

• And to this day, cellphone picture are still absolute garbage. Extra hilarity points for having a cellphone picture of a cleaned place though.
  • And to this day, cellphone picture are still absolute garbage. Extra hilarity points for having a cellphone picture of a cleaned place though.
    Yes, but a panorama using my real camera would have taken much more time. Precious Civ V time.
  • I've gone full CAD on my future geek room. Now that we are about halfway to closing on the new house, I'm allowing myself to dream. I've got an 8' x 11' space to do whatever I want. Gonna do up 11' of floor-to-ceiling IKEA Expedit shelving for video games, board games, and random geeky knicknacks on display.
  • Man, if only 99% of my possessions came in regularly shaped and sized rectangles like that, my living room would be that clean, too. :)
  • Man, if only 99% of my possessions came in regularly shaped and sized rectangles like that, my living room would be that clean, too. :)
    I wish they were more regularly shaped. So many weird sizes are a pain in the ass. There's a reason you don't see any Hellboy Library Editions up in that pic.
    I wish they were more regularly shaped. So many weird sizes are a pain in the ass. There's a reason you don't see any Hellboy Library Editions up in that pic.
    I have a shelf for Library Editions + Absolute Editions because their height only differs by 1cm but I have a few of each.

However all my other graphic novels and normal books do not match up between publishers so I have quite separated shelves, I think 40 cms.

It's weird however that the Marvel hard backs are the same size as my medical and surgical books.

I personally keep all my games digitally for the last few years though.
  • edited August 2013
    [IMG]
    ...Scott, do you play guitar?
    Post edited by Greg on
  • As is plane to see, comics and board games are the only things I have that are not digital.
  • Just cleaned my apartment, so I took an iPhone panorama picture of the main room.
    Nope.
    Nope.
    So why do you have that guitar next to the TV?
    Nope.
    So why do you have that guitar next to the TV?
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/16/rock-band-3-squier-stratocaster-plays-both-real-and-virtual-guit/
  • So it did not, in fact, teach you to play guitar? There goes my one compelling reason to buy Rock Band 3.
  • So it did not, in fact, teach you to play guitar? There goes my one compelling reason to buy Rock Band 3.
    I wasn't very disciplined. I'm sure it would work if I actually used it every day.
  • I really like Rocksmith for the guitar learning. My Jackson appreciates the new attention.
  • OMG I just looked up Rocksmith and I think I'm in love. I think I'm gonna tell my wife I want this and a guitar for Christmas...