This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• That's why, it's a survivor from when Toyota built cars properly.
    Hear that - My grandmother's 1994 Camry is more reliable, and has spent less time in the shop, than her 2003 Camry.
  • More Fail...my car has so much snow around it that I can't even get it loose. Snow is off the car, sure, but I think other drives near me AND plows moved a bunch of snow behind it. So even after trying to dig and drive through it for about an hour...no progress. And what's worse is that none of my roommates have a shovel or rock salt. I only had a bucket.

And 5 girls with shovels were shoveling their cars a few meters away.

3:
  • And 5 girls with shovels were shoveling their cars a few meters away.
    Why are you shovelling your car? Get over there and hitch a lift.
  • Basically the worst candidate won the national elections.
  • I've got a case of the cold, when I'm supposed to be helping out in the musical; the release date of which is approx. 2 weeks from now.
  • Basically the worst candidate won the national elections.
    Oh? Is she the Sarah Palin of Costa Rica?
  • edited February 2010
    Kill wolves because they are mean and bigger than you (warning for graphic pictures) I just.... I... I don't know.

It is so full of lies and exaggeration and imposing human morality on animals as justification for wiping them out. This makes me so angry. GAAH. Why do people like this always wind up winning in the end??
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited February 2010
    Basically the worst candidate won the national elections.
    Oh? Is she the Sarah Palin of Costa Rica?
    Well, she is just a front face for the party she represents, and in the last elections they were blocked by having a minority on your equivalent to congress I guess. But this time around they have the majority on our "house of representatives" so that means bad news to the medium class and below, it's also bad news for all the environment groups as the party tends to favor private companies and privatization of services and government owned land. Just to put an example, they changed the "Natural reserve" status of a water spring that fed several communities, to sell it to private hands, they built a hotel and used the water springs to irrigate their golf courses and pool areas as well as water for the hotel, cutting off the communities and leaving them helpless as it was legally done (under the table as we say here in CR).
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • So my cousin, who is one of two decision-making parties in my grandmother's will (the other being my uncle), does not want to sell the shared property that we've inherited. She'd rather keep it and use it for 2 or 3 weeks out of the year, because having a playpen on Lake George is apparently more valuable than investing over $100k into her future. Nobody else in the family has the desire or the means to use the property.

So, using a simple compound interest calculator, I've crunched some numbers and discovered that the two years we've spent assisting her with the taxes on the house has cost me $70,000 out of my retirement. Additionally, her not selling the property at all causes her to miss out on roughly $3 million in retirement funds.

That's one very expensive toy.
  • Where is this lake of me? Can we go this weekend?
    has cost me $70,000
    This sounds like a simple enough problem to fix, deal yourself out. Ask for your share of whatever it is to be bought out and step away from the deal.
  • This sounds like a simple enough problem to fix, deal yourself out. Ask for your share of whatever it is to be bought out and step away from the deal.
    Yea, even offer a discounted rate to sweeten the deal.
  • edited February 2010
    This sounds like a simple enough problem to fix, deal yourself out. Ask for your share of whatever it is to be bought out and step away from the deal.
    Well, we don't have to contribute to the taxes at all. I got a copy of the will 2 weeks ago. They're the only ones who have any financial obligation to the house. Basically, our side of the family gave them a gift. We were under the impression that we had to split the financial obligations for the house, but we don't.

The issue is, of course, that they can't afford the taxes on it. So if we don't help, the taxes go unpaid, the county gets it, and everybody loses.

I was under the impression that she was on board with selling. That's not the case, apparently, and if my number crunching doesn't get her on board, I'm out.
    Where is this lake of me? Can we go this weekend?
    It's really not in good shape. Nobody has kept it up. Also, it's 2 hours north of Albany.

EDIT: They don't have to buy us out. They never have to sell if they don't want to. The decision is only theirs, as per the will.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Well, we don't have to contribute to the taxes at all. I got a copy of the will 2 weeks ago. They're the only ones who have any financial obligation to the house. Basically, our side of the family gave them a gift. We were under the impression that we had to split the financial obligations for the house, but we don't.

The issue is, of course, that they can't afford the taxes on it. So if we don't help, the taxes go unpaid, the county gets it, and everybody loses.

I was under the impression that she was on board with selling. That's not the case, apparently, and if my number crunching doesn't get her on board, I'm out.
    This is just retarded. Stupid family obligations. How much are the taxes?
  • This is just retarded. Stupid family obligations. How much are the taxes?
    Around $6k per year. We split that in half and shared it among 3 of us last year. Hence, I gave them a gift of $1000 while under the impression that it would return. Now, she's disinclined to sell, so I'm disinclined to keep helping her out. Pretty simple. Since I have no actual financial obligations towards the house, I can just stop. If she won't listen to reason, that's exactly what I'm doing.
  • Verizon is explicitly blocking 4chan.This should be hilarious.
    I really would have thought that 4Chan's Twitter feed would be a lot funnier.
  • Around $6k per year.
    !!! She can't afford $6K? Oh my, this will be an epic disaster even if she sells it.
  • Around $6k per year.
    !!! She can't afford $6K? Oh my, this will be an epic disaster even if she sells it.
    Hey, it's about as much as the payments on a nice car would be. That's a lot of money for a lot of people. If they only use the property occasionally, it would be cheaper to sell it, spend up to $6000/year on hotels/vacations, and put the rest into an investment account.
  • The problem is she thought she could afford it, but can't even afford the taxes. How will she pay for the upkeep or utilities? And then the issue gets deeper if she sells it because people who don't have a lot of money who suddenly come into a large sum of it often squander it.
  • The problem is she thought she could afford it, but can't even afford the taxes. How will she pay for the upkeep or utilities? And then the issue gets deeper if she sells it because people who don't have a lot of money who suddenly come into a large sum of it often squander it.
    Especially when they have the maturity of a 12-year-old. I'm well aware of these issues. I'm not the one who decided to give an immature brat 50% of the authority when deciding the fate of a parcel of land.
    $500/month is a fair amount of money when you have an entire separate set of expenses in Brooklyn. She was also unemployed for a while, and has only recently found a job as an Apprentice in the carpenter's union.

She's said that she'll eventually be able to afford the taxes without issue, since her job can eventually pay as much as $30 - $40/hr. I just question whether or not she's really thought this through.
    If they only use the property occasionally, it would be cheaper to sell it, spend up to $6000/year on hotels/vacations, and put the rest into an investment account.
    It's not even a "they" situation. She's literally the only person in the family who wants to use it, and she only uses it for about 3 weeks out of the year. I took the liberty of doing some calculations; if you invest the $6k a year you would spend on taxes, you can make out like a goddamn bandit. Add to that the large chunk of money you would get from the sale, and I can't possibly see how anyone could think that keeping it is a good idea.
  • Can she rent it out?
    In any case, you should definitely cease your payments, unless you can get a contract with her that promises you a return on your investment.
  • edited February 2010
    Can she rent it out?
    Could she? Sure. She doesn't want to, it wouldn't fetch that much, and nobody else wants to bother with that. The house itself is next to worthless; the land is really the only valuable part, as it's lakefront property on Lake George.

I'm going to make a couple more good faith contributions - I can deduct them as gifts anyhow - until I get a very definitive answer as to her plans. If she wants to hold onto it for a year and then sell, I'm going to either get it in writing or on an audio recording, just in case she pulls any crap.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • If you can get legal advice without too much expense, you should consider it.
  • If you can get legal advice without too much expense, you should consider it.
    I can get free legal consultation for certain things through my union, and that's my plan.
  • Somehow, Windows 7 sound configuration is.. worse than Ubuntu 9.10.. That shouldn't be possible.
  • How is it worse? I mean mine is working and that's a vast improvement. :P

My net connection is buggered and dropping packets. Not enough to fail entirely, but just enough to be really annoying.
  • edited February 2010
    Just found out the Maruchan ramen noodles I bought today have this in them. I don't know how I feel about that, especially because they taste pretty good drained with a bit of sriracha and Parmesan, or after cracking an egg in it. Also, I'm a college student without a kitchen. Not many options outside of the shitty cafeteria food other than ramen egg drop soup/Ramen Pad Thai/Ramen Curry/Ramen yakisoba and the like.

EDIT: Also, I spent 7 hours working on physics homework, I'll probably lose 10 out of fifteen points on this partial fractions quiz tomorrow morning as a result, and I have that feeling in my throat that always comes right before the onset of a particularly wicked strep. I am overwhelmed with stress and self-loathing to the point where I am fighting the urge to scream until my voice fails.

The worst part is that I don't even need to be taking this physics class. I could have gone all of undergrad without taking this particular course, and still gotten my degree. I'm going to accept my overwhelming failure at whatever the fuck I seem to be doing with my life and get some sleep now.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I just got a call from Adam stating that the vet says the dogs shouldn't get all of their shots today and that we should schedule another visit a few weeks from now to get their remaining shots. This means we will have to pay another visit fee (albeit a tech visit fee which will be half the cost of seeing a vet). I have to go by what the vet recommends in case this is a genuine medical concern, but I wonder if this isn't just a bit of a rip off. They are also recommending a combination Lyme and Heartworm test (rather than the just the Heartworm test) which is $50.00 per dog. Again, my rip off bell is going off, but again, I will default to the vet's recommendation for the time being.
  • Hunkering down for Snowpocalypse 3.