This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• What also gets me about that is hearing reporters on the radio talk about how "the media" (Themselves obviously excluded.) popularized the report. It's annoying to see the media always stepping out of the situation and not taking responsibility.
    How about that girl who got that crazy neurological disorder supposed from the swine flu vaccine. They kept calling her "one in a million." One in a million is an actual statistic! And I'm pretty sure your chances of that sort of thing happening are much smaller than that.
  • They kept calling her "one in a million." One in a million is an actual statistic! And I'm pretty sure your chances of that sort of thing happening are much smaller than that.
    Guillian-Barre is 1:250m, IIRC.
  • edited February 2010
    Also, one of mypet peeves; the interplay of science and the media reporting on it. This is almost exactly the same what happened with high voltage power lines and cancer and why we now have people who are "allergic to electricity".
    There was a case in Ireland(I think) recently, where residents were convinced the high voltage power lines were the cause of all their ills, from headaches, to rashes, etc, etc, and they started noticing it 6 months prior to the case. The case was quickly thrown out when it was discovered and proven that the lines had been completely inactive for at least eight months.
    How about that girl who got that crazy neurological disorder supposed from the swine flu vaccine. They kept calling her "one in a million." One in a million is an actual statistic! And I'm pretty sure your chances of that sort of thing happening are much smaller than that.
    If I'm estimating roughly correctly, that would mean there were at least three hundred cases of whatever happened to her in the US alone.
    Also, I'm pretty sure hearing that she didn't have a Neurological disorder according to reliable professionals, because A)the onset of symptoms was far too rapid, and for the particular disorder she was claiming, she was lacking many of the other symptoms, and B)She was later cured and is now right back to normal or very close to, and I'm pretty sure the disorder she was claiming is at this point incurable.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Jenny McCarthy is scum.
    The worst part is that she took Jim Carrey with her.
  • There was a case in Ireland(I think) recently, where residents were convinced the high voltage power lines were the cause of all their ills, from headaches, to rashes, etc, etc, and they started noticing it 6 months prior to the case. The case was quickly thrown out when it was discovered and proven that the lines had been completely inactive for at least eight months.
    I favorite are the people who are allergic to Wifi.
  • edited February 2010
    Representative Duncan Hunter (R-CA), on the proposed repeal of "don't ask, don't tell."
    BLOCK: You are not in favor of a repeal of dont ask, dont tell. Why not?

Rep. HUNTER: No, because I think that its bad for the cohesiveness and the unity of the military units, especially those that are in close combat, that are in close quarters in country right now. Its not the time to do it. I think its - the military is not civilian life. And I think the folks who have been in the military that have been in these very close situations with each other, there has to be a special bond there. And I think that bond is broken if you open up the military totransgenders, to hermaphrodites, to gays and lesbians.

BLOCK: Transgenders and hermaphrodites.

Rep. HUNTER: Yeah, thats going to be part of this whole thing. Its not just gays and lesbians.Its a whole gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual community. If you're going to let anybody no matter what preference - what sexual preference they have that means the military is going to probably let everybody in.Its going to be like civilian life and the I think that that would be detrimental for the military.
    Oh noes! The hermies are going to make the soldiers feel uncomfortable!
    Um, aren't hermaphrodites born that way? Also, what does gender identity (in the case of transgendered people) have to do with sexual preference? More to the point of his question of unity, didn't Spartan soldiers specifically take male lovers amongst their comrades in order promote unity?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • This isn't a major deal, really, but what kind of person refuses to help someone that has limited mobility to complete a quick and simple task? WTF?
    I pondered this last night, and I think you may have found the person who ratted you out the one day you wore jeans.
  • This isn't a major deal, really, but what kind of person refuses to help someone that has limited mobility to complete a quick and simple task? WTF?
    I pondered this last night, and I think you may have found the person who ratted you out the one day you wore jeans.
    Nope, that was a completely different asshole. The girl that refused to help me was the other co-worker who wore jeans that day. I work in a den that is mostly filled with assholes.
  • edited February 2010
    This isn't a major deal, really, but what kind of person refuses to help someone that has limited mobility to complete a quick and simple task? WTF?
    I was thinking the same thing. I really loathe working with people who will tattle tale on you at the drop of a hat for something you didn't do wrong, but can be perceived as wrong.

Edit: Ah, well that was still wrong of her to do what she did.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited February 2010
    Ooh, accusations with no supporting evidence! The best kind!

Though, Kate described this woman to me over AIM, and you have a decent chance of being right.
    I work in a den that is mostly filled with assholes.
    "I knew it, I'm surrounded by assholes!"
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited February 2010
    Ooh, accusations with no supporting evidence! The best kind!
    Aren't they!

EDIT: Snowpocalypse (def 3 is my fav) is coming back to DC this Friday! Don't miss it!
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Calculus II is steadily becoming a bog of incomprehensible shit. Partial fractions and trig substitution/integration, wat.
  • Welcome to serious business math...even I don't go there anymore.
  • Welcome to serious business math...even I don't go there anymore.
    Depending on the decisions I make, I might have to take Calc 3, Diff Eq, and Matrix Theory after this...

I'm also vividly aware of the fact that I haven't eaten today. I kind of just want to lie on my bed for the next 17 hours.
  • My SQL utility died right in the middle of my writing a query.
  • Calculus II is steadily becoming a bog of incomprehensible shit. Partial fractions and trig substitution/integration, wat.
    That stuff is pretty basic.
  • That stuff is pretty basic.
    I'm just behind on reading. I *know* I can do this, but it's going to take a stunning amount of effort applied immediately. Which is precisely what I'm doing right now.
  • Which is precisely what I'm doing right now.
    No you aren't, you're posting on the forum, GET BACK TO WORK SLAVE!!!!
  • GET BACK TO WORK SLAVE!!!!
    Yessir.
  • edited February 2010
    Calculus II is steadily becoming a bog of incomprehensible shit. Partial fractions and trig substitution/integration, wat.
    Aah integration by substitution; replace difficult looking part by x, x^2, sin(x), log(x), sinh(x) until the integral looks manageable. The only real difficulty is when you have to do this twice or three times, as you have to recognize the intermediate steps as valid way points. Once I figured out the general principle I used this to cheat. If the integral isn't in there then there is a typo in the exercise.

EDIT: here is a free version, although it's almost completely useless (each integral is a separate pdf file).
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • EDIT:Snowpocalypse(def 3 is my fav) is coming back to DC this Friday! Don't miss it!
    Lets hope no one brings a gun to a snowball fight again. (damn dumb detective!)
  • Another one of the pets died. This time it was the hedgehog, Henry. It's only been a little over two months since Rosie died, so this is really tough. My mom's taking it especially hard.
  • We're reached our one hundreth page of misery.
  • We're reached our one hundreth page of misery.
    Only if you have whispers. I'm still eight posts away from 4951.
  • FIVE POSTS A-WAY!
  • ;__;
    47 Posts Away.
  • I'd recommend someone logs out to check as I'm amusing we're not counting whispers. If you're into that kinda thing.
  • I'd recommend someone logs out to check as I'm amusing we're not counting whispers. If you're into that kinda thing.
    Assuming? Anyway, this is post no. 4949.