This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I am also simultaneously surprised at how much I remember from Catholic school.
    Indoctrination is a terrifying thing. I still remember responses to various calls.

And let's not forget this problem: "May the Force be with you." "And also with you."
    I see I'm not the only one with that problem.
  • The fact that the Catholic church does not excommunicate those who do not fully believe the tenets of, say, The Apostle's Creed (which I can recite in my sleep to this day) is an indication of an acceptance of that interpretation.
    One cannot be excommunicated except in the presence of specific cause. If accused of such, and if shown to be the case, and if brought before the Church, it is in fact possible to be excommunicated.

Politically, the Church avoids excommunication en masse for PR reasons, but that is another matter. And, currently, there is a chance it will happen over less. Benigno Aquino III is in danger of it currently for his position on birth control.
    The Pope is infallible, remember, so anything he says is the absolute word of God. If the Pope gets up and says, "Jesus was just some dude," then the church moves away from that part of the creed.
    Yeap. But he hasn't yet. Until he does, gnostic attacks on the Church are valid. The Pope could trivially avoid it by explicitly changing the doctrine.
  • edited May 2011
    The Pope is infallible, remember, so anything he says is the absolute word of God. If the Pope gets up and says, "Jesus was just some dude," then the church moves away from that part of the creed.
    Yeap. But he hasn't yet. Until he does, gnostic attacks on the Church are valid. The Pope could trivially avoid it by explicitly changing the doctrine.
    Well, I believe the Pope has said that much of the Bible is to be taken metaphorically, not literally, while cleverly not stating which parts (except for Genesis -- that part has been explicitly stated to be metaphorical). I suppose this is an attempt (and a not very successful one) of trying to have his communion wafer and eat it too.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • edited May 2011
    Politically, the Church avoids excommunication en masse for PR reasons
    And thus the reason why the Church as the de facto authority on its religion is a load of shit. This is also why I separate discussions about the Church from discussions about faith.

While bible-thumping evangelicals and born-agains are batshit crazy, I have a lot more respect for a very strong community-driven faith-based organization than I do for some monolithic entity dictating what is acceptable from on high.

If you're going to believe in crazy, you might as well make it applicable to your situation, y'know?
    Well, I believe the Pope has said that much of the Bible is to be taken metaphorically, not literally, while cleverly not stating which parts (except for Genesis -- that part has been explicitly stated to be metaphorical). I suppose this is an attempt (and a not very successful one) of trying to have his communion wafer and eat it too.
    This. It's weasly and flimsy, but that's what it is. This is also why most people I know don't really identify with a church based on their beliefs so much as they do based on the community within.

That's something I've been exposed to again as of late. We rent a lot of churches and stuff in the SCA, because they're convenient spaces and they usually have lots of resources available that make it easy to organize a community. So I've been into some Episcopal and Methodist churches again, and I sort of forgot about the community aspect that gets tied in with all of this. It's interesting to see a bunch of people coming together and giving up their time on a Saturday to fix up what is effectively their community center.

While I know that we don't need a religion in order to build a strong, active, and involved community, I'll be damned if I've seen a more effective way of doing it yet. I think that's been changing lately, but I don't think it's near the level of a church just yet.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • If you're going to believe in crazy, you might as well make it applicable to your situation, y'know?
    I'm the reincarnation of Irresponsible Captain Tylor.
  • edited May 2011
    I worship Pellon Pekko, the Finnish god who gave us fermentation. Celebrations to Pellon Pekko involve feats of strength, copious amounts of drinking, and fertility rites. And by "fertility rites," I mean "drunken orgies."
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • If you're going to believe in crazy, you might as well make it applicable to your situation, y'know?
    I'm the reincarnation of Irresponsible Captain Tylor.
    Does that make Scott Lieutenant Yamamoto?
  • I worship Pellon Pekko, the Finnish god who gave us fermentation. Celebrations to Pellon Pekko involve feats of strength, copious amounts of drinking, and fertility rites. And by "fertility rites," I mean "drunken orgies."
    That's a fine religion. Note the lack of a claim that Pellon Pekko actually exists. ;^)
  • edited May 2011
    And by "fertility rites," I mean "drunken orgies."
    Finally, a religion that I could get behind. <------ PUN
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Finally, a religion that I could get behind.
    Why the fuck did you put that in green text? You'd better be on board with drunken orgies.

I mean, shit, Keats will help a brother out in an orgy. As far as I'm concerned, that qualifies him for sainthood in the church of Pekko.
  • Finally, a religion that I could get behind.
    Why the fuck did you put that in green text? You'd better be on board with drunken orgies.
    I made it green to make sure people would pick up on the pun. I'll fix it to make it more obvious.
  • Finally, a religion that I could "get behind."
    like that?
  • Oh, you and your punnilingus.
  • I hear hes quite the cunning linguist.
  • edited May 2011
    That's an outdated idea. Nowadays, in order for the Pope to proclaim a statement infallible, he needs to do establish the following things.
    1. Sense of Faith (This means that everyone in the church will agree with it. "God is love" is a good example.) or
    2. Consensus of Faith (A majority of believers agree with it. Consensus agreed upon by survey)
    3. The statement must have proper theological evidence from the New Testament.
    4. It must concern issues of faith and morals.
    So, in this case, there is no fucking way that they could get a majority of people to agree that "Jesus was just a dude." Furthermore, theologically Jesus has to be both human and divine in order for the Bible to work.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • That's an outdated idea.
    Whoa, when did that happen? That's what I was taught in Catholic school like 15 years ago.
  • USC just emailed me and asked if I had a second choice for my major. I have a feeling that this means I won't be going there in the end.
  • You know, CSUN has a very tight relationship with Curb Records...
  • That's an outdated idea.
    Whoa, when did that happen? That's what I was taught in Catholic school like 15 years ago.
    Papal infallibility still exists, but they need to do that list of things in order actually declare something infallible. I believe that those regulations were enacted during Vatican II in the '60s.
  • edited May 2011
    Don't take this the wrong way, Sonic, but I did NOT suffer through two years of community college just to go to a college that accepted me straight out of high school.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Jeremy
    Any time you mention the name "Jeremy" in a story, I find myself thinking "No I didn't."
  • USC just emailed me and asked if I had a second choice for my major. I have a feeling that this means I won't be going there in the end.
    Declare for a different major and immediately transfer into your chosen major after admittance? It's pretty easy to game the bureaucracy at a lot of big universities.

I'm sure you can find a way to go there and do what you love, man.
  • Don't take this the wrong way, Sonic, but I did NOT suffer through two years of community college just to go to a college that accepted me straight out of high school.
    Nah, it's cool. CSUN wasn't my first choice either.
  • This thread is just going to have to end right now, because I've got a super fail. This is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.
  • I missed that whole discussion on gnostic atheism.

I would argue that gnostic atheism is an entirely reasonable position, however. What's wrong with it?
  • The biggest fail of my life: My dad is... a birther.

If you don't know what that means, a birther is one of those people that believe that President Obama is not a citizen of the United States and ask to see the birth certificate, no matter how many times he's shown it.
    That's a Shadow over Innsmouth revelation if I ever heard one.
  • It's 0500 EST and I haven't slept yet. WOOOOOOOOO!

If you don't know what that means, a birther is one of those people that believe that President Obama is not a citizen of the United States and ask to see the birth certificate, no matter how many times he's shown it.
    Solution - family vacation to hawaii, and while you're there, go and see the birth certificate in person.
  • I would argue that gnostic atheism is an entirely reasonable position, however. What's wrong with it?
    Because a god can be argued to the point that they're a philosophical construct, and thus an untestable hypothesis.