This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I spend two bloody paragraphs defining how I am using a term, and then somebody says I am using a term that is ambiguous and has lots of meanings.

NO SHIT SHERLOCK. That is why I just spent two paragraphs defining how I am using it! >_<
  • edited December 2012
    So, my brothers commissioned me to do a computer build for them. All the parts arrived a while ago, and I did the build over Thanksgiving break. The motherboard I went with was an MSI 970A-G46, which is advertised to be compatible with everything else I got, including the AMD Phenom X4. I put it together, and all I get is a flash of error codes and blinking underscore - the damn thing doesn't even POST, let alone let me into the BIOS. Clearing CMOS does nothing, I run through the steps with MSI's tech support guy, he concludes it's got an older version of the BIOS that's not compatible with the Phenom X4, so I've gotta do an RMA with them. Great.

Flash-forward to this winter break, when the motherboard finally comes back after 5 long weeks of MSI's RMA process. Put the whole thing back together, turn it on and.....same issue. Right down to the timing of the error codes. I call up MSI again, he says he'll talk with the support team and they'll get back to me in 15 minutes. A while later, I get an email saying "if the motherboard doesn't work, we'll do a 2nd RMA with you and pay for expedited shipping." It looks to me like they fucked up, big-time. I call MSI back, I want more information on whether the support team did the work or not. After some back-and-forth, he tells me straight-up that someone "dropped the ball" and they NEVER ACTUALLY UPDATED THE FUCKING BIOS. Of course I threaten to return the product to Newegg and get a replacement, turns out that stupidly long 5-week RMA had, conveniently, added just enough time since getting the parts that I couldn't return them to Newegg anymore. Bonus, I'm the only person in my family with the know-how to actually finish the process, and the earliest I'll be coming home is next summer, unless my family flies me out for a weekend.

TL;DR MSI motherboard was sent to me without update, I send it back to MSI and they take 5 weeks to not actually do the work and send it back. Now I'm not home long enough to see the project through.

I'm fucking furious.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • People are stupid.

By granting the Westboro Baptist Church tax-exempt status, we're essentially supporting their activities by reducing their tax burden.

That means we are supporting a terrorist organization!
    1) speech /= terrorism
    2) Revoking tax-exempt status from the WBC doesn't fix the numerous politically active churches across the nation. The WBC are a great reminder of the cost of freedom, and treating them any differently from any other non-violent protest group ought to be frowned upon.
  • Religious organizations shouldn't be tax exempt in the first place.
  • edited December 2012
    Religious organizations shouldn't be tax exempt in the first place.
    Agreed, but I doubt it will change anytime soon.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Religious organizations shouldn't be tax exempt in the first place.
    Automatically, at least. They should have to go through the same bullshit as every other non-profit.
  • Well, if the FFRF keeps suing the IRS over these issues, we may get somewhere.
  • We broke the iPad last night. It fell on the floor and now the screen doesn't work. Boo, looks like I'll be buying a new one.
  • edited December 2012
    I managed to get into an argument about if the US should still be on the gold standard. With someone who doesn't actually know what the terms "Gold standard" and "Fiat currency" mean. God help me.

Edit - I'm against the gold standard, for the record. It's no longer feasible for the US.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • “I pushed a Muslim off the train tracks because I hate Hindus and Muslims ever since 2001 when they put down the twin towers I’ve been beating them up.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/nyregion/woman-is-held-in-death-of-man-pushed-onto-subway-tracks-in-queens.html?_r=0
  • Someone should push her off the same tracks.
  • Someone should push her off the same tracks.
    Vengeance is pointless and only leads to more misery. One of my goals in life is to learn to love such people as much as I love anybody else.
  • Love and tolerate the shit out of everyone.
  • edited December 2012
    When I come to fully and truly understand somebody, like I understand a best friend or family member, I can't help but love them. When somebody I know that well does something terrible, and I come to understand their motivations, I can't help but love them despite the despicable things they accomplish. When a stranger does something terrible I think of them as a human, and I know that I would love them all the same if I knew them as I know myself.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • When I come to fully and truly understand somebody, like I understand a best friend or family member, I can't help but love them. When somebody I know that well does something terrible, and I come to understand their motivations, I can't help but love them despite the despicable things they accomplish. When a stranger does something terrible I think of them as a human, and I know that I would love them all the same if I knew them as I know myself.
  • edited December 2012
    When I come to fully and truly understand somebody, like I understand a best friend or family member, I can't help but love them. When somebody I know that well does something terrible, and I come to understand their motivations, I can't help but love them despite the despicable things they accomplish. When a stranger does something terrible I think of them as a human, and I know that I would love them all the same if I knew them as I know myself.
    Have you been reading Ender's Game again?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • That's just something I've decided for myself. One of my few solid beliefs, really.
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
  • Then why do you get so upset?
  • I'm still allowed to get upset at what I want to.
  • There is no emotion behind your beliefs.
  • Car accident the other day leading to car rental stupidity and uncertain future about aforementioned car.
  • Oh noes! What happened to it?
  • I've got a really bad throat and, due to jetlag and exhaustion, I'm opting out of New Years celebrations.
  • I'm doing work. Specifically, some ancient history. To quote my classicist friend, "Doing ancient history is like solving a murder mystery where the only evidence you have left to work with is a bag of marbles and some string that were found about 200 miles away."
  • Welp, looks like we're going over the fiscal cliff.
  • Upside-down'd.
    You FLIPPED your car?!
  • Welp, looks like we're going over the fiscal cliff.
    Sequestration here we come!

Honestly, it's not the budget I would have proposed, but of the ones proposed it's the closest one to good.