This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Yes. Very.

I attempted to call out his apparent irrational feelings of persecution earlier. Glad someone else is coming around. ;-)

• Yeah, the event is 18+ because it is unlawful for anyone under 18 to own a long gun. That's the long and the short of it. No war on children.
  • Yeah, the event is 18+ because it is unlawful for anyone under 18 to own a long gun. That's the long and the short of it. No war on children.

It makes it a lot easier to have one though.

It makes it a lot easier to have one though.
    Ba-dum, tshhh!
  • Dromaro said:

Yes. Very.

I attempted to call out his apparent irrational feelings of persecution earlier. Glad someone else is coming around. ;-)

I never called it persecution. It's systematic discrimination, but not persecution. Persecution is when a people are subjegated to live in worse conditions, this is merely forcing me to continue wallowing in my own shit.
  • Lots of forms of systematic discrimination are perfectly reasonable and legitimate.
  • edited March 2014
    Yep, and that's an example of one that's not. So..?

Are you seriously comparing child labor laws to racial and cultural discrimination? Because that's completely ridiculous.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • There's no law stopping me. it's private corporate policy. QED the comparison to the Irish.
  • Corporate policy which is likely based on either liability law structure or possibly even safety study findings.

Requiring someone to be an adult to work for your company simply doesn't rise to the level of refusing to hire negroes, sorry.
  • Find me the liability/safety study. Then I'll hear you out.
  • Dude if it were up to the old school conservatives you could totally work while still significantly under the age of 18. You just gotta be willing to work with heavy machinery they won't stop for even armageddon and be willing to reach in to unclog it when it gets jammed.

Of course you can always move to China where they'll put you in a sweatshop for 12 hours a day or more. Seriously, companies don't hire you for your protection.
  • Seriously, companies don't hire you for your protection.

Nope, it's definitely for their protection.
  • Dave said:

Seriously, companies don't hire you for your protection.

Well in covering their asses they keep him from getting into situations he's not ready to deal with.
  • Dave said:

Seriously, companies don't hire you for your protection.

Well in covering their asses they keep him from getting into situations he's not ready to deal with.
    Do you read what you write?
  • Then again I do wonder if a lawyer would be willing to take a discrimination suit based on age.
  • As a minor, there are simply certain things you cannot do. For instance, you're not actually bound by a contract you sign (in the US anyway) if you sign it when you're a minor. It's voidable unless you affirm it after you turn 18. That's just one example.

A lawyer would take a suit base on age discrimination, but probably not one based on age discrimination that is specifically legal majority based. For instance, would the company hire a 17-year old who is emancipated? They are legally an adult. That would be interesting.
  • Yeah, I'm just kidding, as I said. I'm all for banning child labor for kids under 13. Kids over 13 at most should be somewhat limited to jobs that don't affect school hours, etc. (so summer, after school, etc., jobs are okay).

This was the policy in Rhode Island when I was 14 (not sure if it still is). Basically, you could work full-time in the summers, and half time (20 hours/week) when school is in session.

I actually worked at a hardware store when I was 14 and 15, then tried to get a similar job out in California. Apparently you have to be 18 to work at most CA hardware stores, because of the liability issues around power tools, giant blades, heavy machinery, toxic chemicals, etc. Who'd a thunk it?
  • Down here, you can start working in most jobs at 15 and nine months. But, I hope you like fast food, because that's where 90% of said fifteen year olds end up working.
  • Churba said:

Down here, you can start working in most jobs at 15 and nine months. But, I hope you like fast food, because that's where 90% of said fifteen year olds end up working.

Pretty much the same around here... Sometimes you'll find them working retail though, such as grocery stores and whatnot.
  • Got my first job at 13 to pay for high school, never looked back.
  • Daikun said:
    Why ironic? Facebook doesn't spy on you. It never has.
  • edited March 2014
    yea you give Facebook ALL of your information freely by using it.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • More like you only give Facebook the information you choose to provide while using it. If you don't post that you went out drinking, if you don't post your phone number, if you don't post your picture, Facebook doesn't have that information.

As opposed to the NSA, which collects (or wants to collect, anyway) just about ALL of your information you've exchanged via any electronic means.
  • Technically, FaceBook once worked out where I had been after making friends with a few people I met at a single event, without me specifically saying I had been to that event. It was a correct guess too.

But even if Facebook is sometimes vague on its privacy settings, it is still a user service. The NSA and the government is explicitly the opposite.
  • Technically, FaceBook once worked out where I had been after making friends with a few people I met at a single event, without me specifically saying I had been to that event. It was a correct guess too.

But even if Facebook is sometimes vague on its privacy settings, it is still a user service. The NSA and the government is explicitly the opposite.

True, data mining of your connections can often allow Facebook, etc., to figure out things about you that you never told it. However, yes, at least you can still choose not to use Facebook in a worst-case scenario. You can't choose to not be snooped on by the NSA, unless you forgo all electronic communications.
  • I am officially too old to eat pizza after 9 PM. :<
  • That doesn't happen until well into your 30s...
  • Tell that to my Domino's heartburn.