This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Inauguration 2009 Who's going?

edited November 2008 in Everything Else
I think Laura and I will try and get out to D.C for the inauguration, anyone else thinking of being there?

Comments

• I would love to go, but I don't know if I will be able to get away from classes to do it.
  • edited November 2008
    We're taking the day before and the day after as vacation days. We're going to have some friends coming in from other states to attend. We're trying to get into at least one of the many parties held around that time (we might be able to swing it, because we actually know one of the newly elected Senators!). It's going to be a big deal for us.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Why not! I live in the city so it would be a waste not to go. ^_^
  • Emily and I are very likely attending.
  • I propose we all meet at the Capitol Brewing Company (right across the street from the Spy Museum) or maybe The Dubliner (near Union Station), get hammered, and then write some legislation.
  • I'd love to, but I am both 7 hours away and have class.
  • edited November 2008
    My wife, son, and I are likely to go down.

Does anyone have previous inauguration experience? I plan to drive to the Greenbelt Metro and ride in; how early in the day should we do that?

EDIT: I like Joe's beer idea, though I bet any place in DC will be packed.
    Post edited by Hank on
  • You know, now that I'm on the east coast, I think I might just go. I'm under 21, but I'd like to meet up with some forumites. Where's a good place to crash (cheapish hotel, etc)?
  • edited November 2008
    You know, now that I'm on the east coast, I think I might just go. I'm under 21, but I'd like to meet up with some forumites. Where's a good place to crash (cheapish hotel, etc)?
    There's a youth hostel right across the street from the Pratt Library in Baltimore. It doesn't look very nice, though. You might be kidnapped by some crazy torture dudes.
    I plan to drive to the Greenbelt Metro and ride in; how early in the day should we do that?
    You need tickets from a Senator/Representative to actually go to the ceremony. They're not hard to get because they're free and each Senator/Representative has stacks and stacks of them to give out. Usually, the tickets aren't all given out. This time, there might be a problem. I would suggest you call your Senator/Representative for tickets soon.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Thanks Joe, I would call him/her as soon as possible :D
  • Probably not me. 8 hour drive + few vacation days left is no t a recipe for success. :(
  • edited November 2008
    Probably not me. 8 hour drive + few vacation days left is no t a recipe for success. :(
    How many do you have in a year. Inauguration day is the beginning of next year so you will get a bunch of new ones next year, right? But yeah the 8 hour drive sucks :(
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited November 2008
    I plan to drive to the Greenbelt Metro and ride in; how early in the day should we do that?
    You need tickets from a Senator/Representative to actually go to the ceremony.They're not hard to get because they're free and each Senator/Representative has stacks and stacks of them to give out. Usually, the tickets aren't all given out. This time, there might be a problem. I would suggest you call your Senator/Representative for tickets soon.I already signed up with Cardin (5 Nov.) and Mikulski (6 Nov.) on their websites. Cummings (is that also your guy in the House, Joe?) must have a less technically literate staff: his site wants me to call the office, so I guess I'll do that. Between the three of them, maybe I'll get lucky.
    Post edited by Hank on
  • I propose we all meet at the Capitol Brewing Company (right across the street from the Spy Museum) or maybe The Dubliner (near Union Station), get hammered, and then write some legislation.
    I love the way you think.

I'm sure that any drunken legislation we produced would be better than the past 8 years, that's for sure.
  • Wish I could. It's two days before my birthday. What a present that would be.
  • Drive really far. Be harrassed by security. Stand in a crowd, not being able to move, for hours on end. Be so far away as to not even see or hear anything. Unless of course, you camp out days, or even weeks, in advance.

This one's going to be better on TV unless you are a VIP.
  • I may or may not be able to come depending on my class schedule and the availability of transportation from the triangle area in NC. Last I recall there were a few people from NC on the forums...anyone interested in possibly arranging a group rideshare of some kind?
  • edited November 2008
    I may or may not be able to come depending on my class schedule and the availability of transportation from the triangle area in NC. Last I recall there were a few people from NC on the forums...anyone interested in possibly arranging a group rideshare of some kind?
    If someone were to drive, I would be interested. I don't actually have my car down here and I probably won't have it next semester either, but I would definitely help pay for gas.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Drive really far. Be harrassed by security. Stand in a crowd, not being able to move, for hours on end. Be so far away as to not even see or hear anything. Unless of course, you camp out days, or even weeks, in advance.

I don't know, just to say I was there and feel the mood of the crowd might be worth it. I tear up just seeing people around the country and world celebrating. (Waited many hours just to hear Morgan Freeman read the Declaration of independence on a forth of July once) So for me I think it will be worth it even if I can't actually see it from where I am standing.
  • Probably not me. 8 hour drive + few vacation days left is not a recipe for success. :(
    How many do you have in a year. Inauguration day is the beginning of next year so you will get a bunch of new ones next year, right? But yeah the 8 hour drive sucks :(

a) Already have to take time off at the beginning of the year to go search for living space for law school, so I will be using much of my time for that.
    b) Everything Scott just said. Not worth taking the vacation when I could watch it on TV at a friend's house here.
    c) I supposedly get 3 weeks next year, but I'm not working a full year, so I'm not sure how that affects my vacation time. Starting school in August.
  • This one's going to be better on TV unless you are a VIP.
    I think you're 100% correct, but it sure as hell isn't going to stop me from going. :)
  • edited November 2008
    I don't know, just to say I was there and feel the mood of the crowd might be worth it. I tear up just seeing people around the country and world celebrating. So for me I think it will be worth it even if I can't actually see it from where I am standing.
    I think you're 100% correct, but it sure as hell isn't going to stop me from going. :)
    I do agree with Apreche's point, however Cremlian brings up a good point of just being there along with the crowd, sharing an overall similar feeling of awesomeness would be unforgettable.

I think being able to say that you were there listening and seeing him speak as our President can be compared to when you here people say they've marched with Martin Luther King, Jr. or was present at his "I Have A Dream" speech.

EDIT: Once again, something awesome on the east coast that this west coaster can't easily attend.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm going partly as an excuse to hang out with the DC crew. ^_^
  • I'd like to, since I love around here, but I'll be in Los Angeles.
  • Already have to take time off at the beginning of the year to go search for living space for law school, so I will be using much of my time for that
    Did you actually get in? You can come live in Beacon with us!
  • Already have to take time off at the beginning of the year to go search for living space for law school, so I will be using much of my time for that
    Did you actually get in? You can come live in Beacon with us!
    I won't know until mid-December. And Beacon is on a different train line, so I'd have to look at the feasibility of driving to school if I was gonna do that. :) Still, I'll be nearby.

I'm setting up a sort-of local interview with an alumnus...but I kinda expect to get in, given that my scores are better than their 75% numbers.

In other news, Harvard and Notre Dame tried to get me to apply. LOL.
  • You know, now that I'm on the east coast, I think I might just go. I'm under 21, but I'd like to meet up with some forumites. Where's a good place to crash (cheapish hotel, etc)?
    There's a youth hostel right across the street from the Pratt Library in Baltimore. It doesn't look very nice, though. You might be kidnapped by some crazy torture dudes.
    There's probably one in DC. Google that!
    Drive really far. Be harrassed by security. Stand in a crowd, not being able to move, for hours on end. Be so far away as to not even see or hear anything. Unless of course, you camp out days, or even weeks, in advance.

Good points but saying you were there and being there. Total worth it experiences!
    I propose we all meet at the Capitol Brewing Company (right across the street from the Spy Museum) or maybe The Dubliner (near Union Station), get hammered, and then write some legislation.
    This will proved interesting to see!
  • I may or may not be able to come depending on my class schedule and the availability of transportation from the triangle area in NC. Last I recall there were a few people from NC on the forums...anyone interested in possibly arranging a group rideshare of some kind?
    If I was just a bit older I'd be all over this, but at this point skipping schoolwork and going on a road trip with a bunch of people on an internet forum might not be the best idea. :P
  • Good points but saying you were there and being there. Total worth it experiences
    What's the significance of standing in one geographic location during a scheduled event and standing in another geographic location? What's to be proud of about that?

Even worse, this is a planned public event. With tickets no less. We're not talking about some Boston Tea Party here. Getting tickets and going to see something doesn't make you special. People trying to get tickets to see you, now that's something to be proud of.
  • I live in LA, so probably not going.