This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

First GeekTalk of 2009 - Saturday, January 10th @ 7:30 EST

Comments

• what format will it have? A FNPL kinda thing, with topics? Or a more "Free form" kinda thing?
  • edited January 2009
    If someone has something to talk about, we talk, if not, we be silly. Think open forum crossed with Dave and Joel.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I personally think that recording something like this is a bit stupid. I can't imagine anyone being interested at all in listening to it.
  • I personally think that recording something like this is a bit stupid. I can't imagine anyone being interested at all in listening to it.
    No one would be, we are pretty much always talking over each other, being very silly, and there would be all kinds of outside noise interfering, sort of like the Otaku Generation podcast. (Zing!)
  • I view it more as an archive kinda thing. Years from now it may be useful historical information of Geeks talking normally without the pretense of a media production.
  • Historically, its been just as Omnutia said.

Although, Personally I rather like the idea of having it formatted as FNPL, but I'm sorta saving that for another podcast where we steal the format of another podcast for every episode. One show FNPL style, the next show MacBreak Weekly, the next Geeknights. I'm thinking of calling it Ripoff! or Remake!...I don't know, something starting with an R and ending with an !
  • I'm thinking of calling it Ripoff! or Remake!...I don't know, something starting with an R and ending with an !
    Rampantly homosexual! ? To mock the abundance of two guys, one show podcasts out there? If you wish to stick with the copying in the name, perhaps Re-re-re-recording! with as many 're's as required.
  • I might be able to join, if I can punch a hole through the Kodak proxy/firewall beforehand. They seem to be blocking normal skype ports.
  • I'll be there! I was just thinking about what happened to teh Geek Chat!
  • It looks like I have something that's going to get in the way. I probably won't make it. Have fun, the rest of you!
  • edited January 2009
    That's a shame. You probably would have had the least lag.

Okay, since there are so many of you, I have to set some rules here.

I will log onto skype a half hour before the Geekchat officially begins.
    Come 4:30 PST (see the initial post for your time zone), I will begin recording.
    Once I start recording I will allow more people for one more hour or until there are 10 participants. After that, no more. It kinda sucks, but I'd rather have less people with better quality for everyone than more people and choppiness.
    If I see that I can handle more people, I'll message anyone who is online and isn't in the chat.

Anyone who wants in needs to add me in skype before the podcast begins. The recording setup I have will record any sound my computer makes, so I don't want boops or beeps overlapping actual conversation.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Oh, hey. I can join now.
  • edited January 2009
    I'm gonna be late. I got signed on to work and don't get off till 8. TT^TT
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I'm gonna be late. I got sined on to work and don't get off till 8. TT^TT
    Just checking: The 10th is the Saturday.
  • edited January 2009
    *Actually, I probably won't be able to join. I'd like to listen to the finished product, though. :D
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • edited January 2009
    I'd join, but I don't have Skype installed. If ya need anyone, I'll be on steam-chat.

Edit: You know what? Never mind. I'll be sleeping in stead.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • Alright, it is almost time for the preroll. If you can start coming in now so I can get the audio adjusted, that would be great.
  • Oh crap I probably could have come. Oh well.
  • You can probably still jump in. We're not having any problems right now with 12.
  • Well, that was fun and definitely worth of staying up all night.
  • Yeah, definately fun. It got out of sync once or twice when my computer got unplugged, but it's not too hard to fix. It should be up on the internet archive in a day or so.
  • Should we start a new thread for a new GeekTalk, or should we rename this thread so that it's almost like a blog? Also, I'm just wondering if next time we can start a couple of hours earlier so that my European body doesn't fall asleep before the GeekTalk starts?

Actually, isn't there a blog already set up for GeekTalk?
  • There is, but I have no idea where I put it.
    Somewhere on this forum is a link.
  • There is, but I have no idea where I put it.
    Somewhere on this forum is a link.
    In the original Geektalk thread (there's only 1, right?), somewhere near the end. I'm too lazy to look for it myself, and I'm supposed to be doing work anyway.
  • Well, that was fun, even though I arrived 2 hours late, after almost everyone had left. At the very least, I found Dresden Codak, an awesome webcomic.
  • @MrRoboto Thanks.
    In retrospect, this last geektalk was probably the second most awesome one we've had. For those who weren't there, Emily was on and was awesome. Also, she got Rym to come one for a short while where he said he'd be planning on joining in a more "official capacity" due to the apparent awesomeness of these chats. *whisper* No one tell him that we just yak for a few hours.*/whisper*
  • Sorry I didn't make it on, I was watching my Ravens beat Tennessee and the game ran into the beginning of the chat. When is the next one going to be?