This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why can't video game films be made by gamers with actual film talent?

Comments

• Peter Jackson + Halo = Awsome
    err...um.....I really don't know what to say to that. I knew about this like 2-3 years ago, and all I could think was ".......what, why?". Seriously though, I didn't think Peter Jackson had an interest in vidgeygames, so why would he do this. I'm not mad, I'm just a bit puzzled by this.
    err...um.....I really don't know what to say to that. I knew about this like 2-3 years ago, and all I could think was ".......what, why?". Seriously though, I didn't think Peter Jackson had an interest in vidgeygames, so why would he do this. I'm not mad, I'm just a bit puzzled by this.
    Because he'll get a big special effects budget, and Peter Jackson seems to really enjoy doing big, grandiose films. Besides this film probably isn't going to happen, I mean how many rewrites has the Halo script had?
    Because he'll get a big special effects budget, and Peter Jackson seems to really enjoy doing big, grandiose films. Besides this film probably isn't going to happen, I mean how many rewrites has the Halo script had?
    Exactly. But it will be interesting to see what Jackson's take on this will be. I mean he did King Kong correctly, so I don't know maybe it will work out if the slim chance of this film being made ever occurs.
  • Actually PJ is a big fan of Halo, he and the crew would play it during down time while filming LOTR.
  • edited February 2009
    He might have done King Kong correctly for you, but that was one of the most god damn tedious films I've ever watched. It was like the bit in The Return of the King after the ring has been destroyed, you know, the part that goes on and on and on and you are thinking "when the hell are we going to get to the end?" King Kong was like that from the opening frame.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • It was like the bit in The Return of the King after the ring has been destroyed, you know, the part that goes on and on and on and you are thinking "when the hell are we going to get to the end?"
    At least he cut the whole "Scouring of the Shire" part.
  • Before the LotR, Peter Jackson made silly slasher films. If there were a silly slasher video game, then he may be your man.
  • Before the LotR, Peter Jackson made silly slasher films. If there were a silly slasher video game, then he may be your man.
    Meet the Feebles wasn't silly, it was a timeless piece of cinematography.
    Meet the Feebleswasn't silly, it was a timeless piece of cinematography.
    Shouldn't that be in sarcasm green or have the sarcasm symbol after it? ^_^
    Meet the Feebleswasn't silly, it was a timeless piece of cinematography.
    Shouldn't that be in sarcasm green or have the sarcasm symbol after it? ^_^
    I think the sarcasm is obvious enough to not necessitate the green text. :P
  • I don't know, Pete. You use Ichi the Killer to court women. ^_~
  • He does?!

...Great first date movie, I assume.
  • I don't know, Pete. You use Ichi the Killer to court women. ^_~
    He just knows what he wants in a woman and cuts straight to the cake. Major thumbs up.
  • He does?!

...Great first date movie, I assume.
    That's about as bad as using Reservoir Dogs as a first date movie, unless they're into those sort of movies.
  • edited February 2009
    Ichi the Killer got me laid. That is 100% serious.

In retrospect, I'm far better off without a woman for whom Ichi the Killer is a turn-on. :P

EDIT: To elaborate further, it was the third date. I don't start off with Ichi; you gotta ease 'em into that one.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Ichi the Killer got me laid. That is 100% serious.
    The Scenario my mind constructed around this sentence amused me greatly.
  • I don't start off with Ichi; you gotta ease 'em into that one.
    If three dates is enough easing for you to be able to ease a girl into Ichi The Killer, then you are a master.
  • I don't start off with Ichi; you gotta ease 'em into that one.
    If three dates is enough easing for you to be able to ease a girl into Ichi The Killer, then you are a master.
    It helps when the girl in question is a touch crazy.
  • It helps when the girl in question is a touch crazy.
    I know I shouldn't say this, but doesn't the mere fact that the person was female indicate some insanity just as being male indicates some immaturity/idiocy?
  • It helps when the girl in question is a touch crazy.
    I know I shouldn't say this, but doesn't the mere fact that the person was female indicate some insanity just as being male indicates some immaturity/idiocy?
    Well, yes, but I mean above and beyond normal female crazy.
  • The best sex is with the crazy girls. Pity they inflict the most damaging breakups.
  • The best sex is with the crazy girls. Pity they inflict the most damaging breakups.
    Seconded, thirded, and fourthed. My scars, let me show you them.
    Not true at all. I have bedded sane and crazy women. You can get a girl that is crazy in bed, but not crazy in life.
  • I'm going with the vote of "Only in Japan" with the thinking that their repressed nature fuels their passion for the achievement of excellence. Or maybe I'm just talking bollocks - I just love Japan and believe it to be the source of many amazingly awesome things. That is, it goes without saying, with the exception of Shochi - which smells awful but still gets you drunk!

As for the crazy girls... I'm a considerably crazy girl - I can't comment on the craziness in bed (although if you held a gun to my head... well... I guess you'd have to pull the trigger because as aforementioned, I am crazy!), and I'm fairly certain that the phrase "most damaging breakups" implies that I have had more than one, which is not the case. Have I helped dispel the stereotype? I would guess "not so much".
  • Apparently a Prince of Persia movie is in the works.
  • Apparently aPrince of Persiamovie is in the works.
    Y'know, I don't actually see that being very good, even conceptually. Sands of Time was a fantastic bit of storytelling, but all the fun is in the puzzles.
  • Really? The PoP comic was pretty good (but not phenomenal.) What I read of it, if they made a movie on that level, I'd be pleased.
  • It has a pretty good cast (Ben Kingsley, Jake Gyllenhaal, Alfred Molina, and Richard Coyle).