This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why can't video game films be made by gamers with actual film talent?

13»

Comments

• Ben Kingsley? I'm sold.
  • Yeah, he has been in amazing films and terrible films... yet I always enjoy his performance even when the rest of the film is schlock.
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2009
    Ben Kingsley? I'm sold.
    Gahndi ftw!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Well, I'd assume that each video-game movie would end up like the Watchmen Movie. Very faithful, yet not really that accessible to the mainstream public.
  • These came to mind when I read the subject line:
    What's in the box?

Escape From City 17 - Part One
  • My taste in both video games and movies is not the most mainstream, so I find the idea of a live action Professor Layton (already in the works apparently) or Phoenix Wright movie to be within the realm of possible goodness. I think there is a niche for puzzle-solving games that can be made into movies since the games revolve around the titular character. It is like the Hercule Poirot (Agatha Christie) movies; it would be a kind of mystery/law case of the week situation. I thoroughly enjoy the National Treasure movies as well as the Librarian movies (starring Noah Wylie), which would fit well for the Professor Layton games. Phoenix Wright could become a somewhat tongue-in-cheek law drama/comedy. I think the main stumbling block is that it IS such a niche. However, I see nothing wrong with direct-to-DVD releases, which would cut much of the overhead costs.