This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Webcomics

Comments

• Cyanide and Happiness. Sure the art sucks, but its funny.

www.explosm.net
  • Comics I read all the time:
    Leave it to Jesus
    Lesbian Pirates from Outer Space
    Applegeeks
    VG Cats
    Friendly Hostility
    Looking For Group

Comics I wanna read (but am behind on)
    SNAFU comics (all of them =<)
    Pandect
    Bob And George
    College Roomies from Hell
    Misfile

Comics I buy
    Megatokyo

Soon, I will be catching up on all my comics, and maybe even doing one of my own. My friends have several ideas they want me to do; I have an idea I want to do with my friend. =D So, eventually I'll be giving you all a link to my webcomic, when I start on it.
  • edited September 2007

Bad Wecomics BlogI love this man.
    This link was awesome, this blog is awesome and I already shared it with half my friends.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Bad Wecomics BlogI love this man.
    That guy is a troll, if nothing else.
    That guy is a troll, if nothing else.
    Are you talking about Rhinocero or the webcomic guy? I think he does a good analysis on the webcomics. So far I only read two entries and am reading another in the other tab. He doesn't just say it's bad but gives reasons why. It still makes me want to read some of the stuff he's talking about so I could come to my own opinion. Some of the webcomics mentioned I have or is in process of reading and some opinions differ from my own but that's expected.
    This link was awesome, this blog is awesome and I already shared it with half my friends.
    That blog makes me so happy inside.
    That blog makes me so happy inside.
    Honestly, I dislike him. But only because I run a kinda-competing site, and I think he's low-rent, anyway.
  • I don't mind comic review/criticizing, but the fact that he isn't attempting to be a good reviewer and merely berate these comics for no other reason then to say they are bad.

I have nothing against anyone who happens to not like something I don't, but its not really constructive at all. He is a troll who only talks about how certain comics are bad (especially the good ones) in order to draw people to his site.
  • edited October 2007

I don't mind comic review/criticizing, but the fact that he isn't attempting to be a good reviewer and merely berate these comics for no other reason then to say they are bad. I have nothing against anyone who happens to not like something I don't, but its not really constructive at all.
    That is demonstrably not true, at least when John Solomon is reviewing, and not one of his cohorts.  Most of the articles are full of concrete examples of why those strips suck. Simply reading the reviews will show you this.  There are exceptions - I think he's wrong about Shortpacked, although he does have some good points, and some of the reviews do tend a little on the ad hom side - but for many of these, he makes good cases.  He does say things in a rather harsh way, and he definitely is trying to make what he's saying funny, but that doesn't make the very legititmate criticisms he's making any less true. 
    He is a troll who only talks about how certain comics are bad (especially the good ones) in order to draw people to his site.

This seems like your real gripe: that he's criticizing things that you like (which, because you like them, must be good).  Can you at least admit that there's probably some problems with them, and he might be pointing those out?

Post edited by rhinocero on
  • Kiey, be honest with this question. Is it because they talked about Abstract Gender?
  • edited October 2007
    Kiey, be honest with this question. Is it because they talked about Abstract Gender?
    Actually no, I honestly don't care what people say about AG, since I'm not doing it anymore. Plus I had heard about him before that review happened, by about 2 weeks or so.

@rhinocero:
    I'm not saying that all webcomics are perfect, they obviously aren't, and I imagine some of his criticism is apt. My problem isn't that he says bad things about them, its that its all he says. The tag line of the site says it all "Your webcomic is bad so you should feel bad." He may give examples as to why a comic might be bad, but he's not going about it in a constructive way. He is going about it in a way to piss off webcomic makers, and their fans.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • This sounds like this guy is on the money. 99% of web-comics I've seen do suck ass, and the people who make them should feel bad. They shouldn't feel bad because their comics are bad, but they should feel bad because they are not improving. Look at early Penny Arcade and look at modern arcade. It is impossible to not see the progress. Now look at some other web-comics that have been going for as long, or even longer, than Penny Arcade. No improvement whatsoever!

It's not just web-comics. Look at GeekNights. Compare Episode 1 to the newest episode. I like to think we've come a long way. Now listen to some other podcasts. They sound the same as their first episode, and they haven't changed anything!

This discussion about people not making any progress towards bettering their work definitely needs to be discussed on a show.
  • I just found Everafter. Holy shit is that comic amazing. I love the artwork. There is also another artist as part of that group who does PPG comics and has a very stylized look. I haven't read that comic yet, but again the art is awesome.
  • I just found Everafter. Holy shit is that comic amazing. I love the artwork. There is also another artist as part of that group who does PPG comics and has a very stylized look. I haven't read that comic yet, but again the art is awesome.
    Do you mean SNAFU comics? I met one of them in person. Really nice. =D
  • Yes! SNAFU fsckin pwns.
  • =D I know. I was reading Bleedman's for a while (Powerpuff Girls, Grim Tales, and Manifest Doom I think they were) but they didn't update for so long that I stopped checking. Apparently he's back and updating consistently now though!
  • Same as Kage. Read PPGD and GRFDB, and checked them months after they stopped updating. Blech, finally deleted the links.
  • Comics I read frequently:

Penny Arcade
    Questionable Content
    PvP
    Shortpacked
    Applegeeks
    Brinkerhoff
    No Pink Ponies
    CAD
    VG Cats
    MegaTokyo
    Multiplex
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
    Dark Legacy
    Perry Bible Fellowship
    Order of the Stick (slowly going through the archives)

I also read DM of the Rings, but that ended recently. I've never roleplayed and that comic was pretty damn brilliant. Now I'm reading Darth & Droids. Very similar to DM of the Rings, but done to Star Wars. It's by a different person and not Samus, but from what I've read so far, hilarity and laughter has ensued. ^_^
  • I have started to read Least I Could Do. It is pretty funny, especially since I have a friend who is oddly similar to the main character.
  • I have started to readLeast I Could Do. It is pretty funny, especially since I have a friend who is oddly similar to the main character.
    He tries to sleep with thousands of women?
  • He would if he could, I think. I did not say that they were one and the same. It is like Rain is a caricature of him.
  • edited December 2007
    Absolutely love and read regularly:
    The Adventures of Dr. McNinja
    Cyanide and Happiness
    I Was Kidnapped By Lesbian Pirates From Outer Space
    Kawaii Not
    Ozy and Millie
    Penny Arcade
    The Perry Bible Fellowship
    Real Life
    Sabrina Online
    Shortpacked!
    VG Cats
    XKCD
    YU+ME

Like and read regularly, but wouldn't likely pick up if I discovered them more recently:
    Megatokyo
    Namir Deiter
    Toast!

Catching up on:
    Questionable Content

Would read more often if there were more frequent updates:
    I Drew This (still like the blog that it's become, but damn, I miss the comic)
    Nice Hair
    Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki

Finished comics I love and miss:
    Adventurers!
    Arcana
    The Bob Squad
    Boy Meets Boy
    Ghastly's Ghastly Comic
    Kid Radd
    RPG World

Comics I quit:
    8-Bit Theater
    Ctrl+Alt+Del
    Saturnalia

Of all these, I'd say my top faves are Ozy and Millie, VG Cats, YU+ME, and Kid Radd. Ozy and Millie because it's cute, funny, and has a Calvin-and-Hobbes-like subversiveness to it, VG Cats because I find it the funniest both material-wise and visuals-wise, YU+ME because of its characters, and Kid Radd because it's the most innovative, funny, and meaningful sprite comic I've ever read (take that, 8-Bit!) Seriously, I have no idea why no one's mentioned Kid Radd in this thread so far. It seems like a comic everyone on this forum (or at least the vidjagames-inclined) would really enjoy, especially those who have been disappointed by sprite comics in the past.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited December 2007
    Hey, I was wondering.. could you guys help me find a comic that I actually will enjoy? Here's a list of things I am currently reading (I don't enjoy them completely, but I still read them), things I read that ended, and things that I don't like at all.

What I am currently reading
    F@NB0Y$ - Which I don't really like that much anymore.
    Penny Arcade - Which is a staple of every webcomic reader's repitoire.
    Terror Island - Which nobody has heard of, it's a photocomic with some intellectual absurdist humor or at least I think that's how to describe it.
    The Insane Asylum - Which I read because a friend of mine makes it.
    Slackerz - Which might be the only one on this list that I actually legitimately enjoy and look forward to reading.
    The Perry Bible Fellowship - Which I read whenever someone links to it or when I'm bored out of my mind. I can't say I'm a big fan of the type of humor it has, even though sometimes it's legitimately funny.

What I once read that ended
    Bob and George - Which had the most anticlimatic, disappointing ending out of every thing I've ever stuck wtih until the end. Why I'm continuing to read it with the commentary that comes out daily is beyond me.
    Kid Radd - Which is the only other comic on this list besides Slackerz that I legitimately enjoyed.
    RPG World - Which is on a permanent hiatus that came at the most inopportune time.

What I once read that I quit reading
    Megatokyo - Because I do not like it when the authors manipulate their story to be exactly what they want it to be (in Piro's case, a shoujo manga full of sad girls.)
    AppleGeeks - Because it was turning into MegaTokyo, and that's the worst direction anyone can take when making a webcomic.
    El Goonish Shive - Because I realized that it was written to appease the author's transformation fetish.
    Ctrl+Alt+Del - Because the characters are all archetypes and the comic is incredibly predictable and cliche. I recall someone once referring to the comic as "Ctrl+C+Ctrl+V," which I feel is a more appropriate name.
    8-Bit Theatre - Because the plot progressed so slowly at the beginning that I never got the incentive to continue reading and I probably never will.
    Cyanide and Happiness - Technically I never actually read this, but my brother does and he often shows me comics he thinks are funny. I don't like the style of humor employed in this comic, though, so I don't find it funny at all.
    Antihero for Hire - Because I simply lost interest.
    VG Cats - Because I don't like its style of humor.
    There was another comic that I started reading because of an advertisement I saw for it on Bob and George (which made it look like a cool fantasy adventure story), but it was pretty much an El Goonish Shive with furries so I stopped reading that pretty quickly. There are also a few more but I do not remember them very well because I stopped reading them after only a couple of comics.

Hopefully that'll give you some idea of what I'm looking for in webcomics and what I'm not. If I can find some good ones that I actually enjoy, that'd be swell.
    Post edited by Diddgery on
  • Bob and George-Which had the most anticlimatic, disappointing ending out of every thing I've ever stuck wtih until the end. Why I'm continuing to read it with the commentary that comes out daily is beyond me.
    Bob and George was a horrible comic from about mid-Megaman 3 parody on.
  • I'm not going to argue with that one. The reason I stuck with it is because this was before it was easy for me to just drop a comic, and reading it became such a natural part of my daily routine that I'm still doing it.
  • I read Penny Arcade, VG Cats, Ctrl Alt Delete, Sabrina Online, and...I swear I read more, but nothing's coming to me right now. I used to read a bunch, but most of them I either couldn't make it through the archives or I just didn't care enough to keep up.
  • Good Comics:
    Sluggy Freelance
    Penny Arcade
    PvP
    Overcompensating
    Order of the Stick
    PBF
    Dr. McNinja

Good Comics that are over:
    Concerned
    Wigu turned into Overcompensating

Comics I used to read:
    Real Life
    Megatokyo
    CAD
    8bit Theatre
    VGCats
  • Honestly, not a whole lot.

Crtl+alt+del
    Penny Arcade

sometimes:
    amazing superpowers
    generic newspaper comics like zits, pearls before swine, speed bump, etc. I usually just find 'em online.

finished all the comics:
    sexy losers

used to read:
    8 bit theatre...then I stopped, then I found out that they were on comic like 400+, so I never bothered to keep going.
  • I starting reading this one and I thinks is hilarious.
    Come on, is about a pregnant nun :P
  • edited January 2009
    My friend recently recommended Pokemon X to me. I've been reading it and so far so good. The only other comics I'm reading are xkcd and Penny Arcade. Though I'm also going through the (small) backlog of Amazing Super Powers, but this isn't a regular comic for me.
    Post edited by Dkong on