This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• People in the US don't usually get 25 paid self-allocatable days
    I get 20 vacation days, unlimited personal days, and unlimited sick days, plus 9 holidays. That's low-to-typical of higher level jobs in the financial sector. Of course, our European brethren get substantially more, especially the UK employees with their funny bank holidays.

I'm trying to get more vacation days instead of a raise for next year.
  • I get 10 hours of PTO that accrues monthly. I can have up to 160 hours at one time. I consider this pretty good by US standards.
  • edited October 2009
    If I was salary at my company I would have the exact same set up as Rym. (but paid a lot less)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I get 10 hours of PTO that accrues monthly. I can have up to 160 hours at one time.
    How much do they let you roll over from year to year? The company I work for has a similar plan (10.something hours of PTO per month) plus anywhere from 2-3 "floating holidays" that are basically time off that you have to use in 8 hour blocks. The downside is they don't care how much PTO you rack up during the year but you can't roll over more than 40 hours at the end of the fiscal year. Sadly, this results in much suckage when people have to use available time off or lose it. We almost end up running on a skeleton staff from January to April as people are trying to burn it down to the 40-hour limit.
  • People in the US don't usually get 25 paid self-allocatable days
    I get 20 vacation days, unlimited personal days, and unlimited sick days, plus 9 holidays. That's low-to-typical of higher level jobs in the financial sector. Of course, our European brethren get substantially more, especially the UK employees with their funny bank holidays.

I'm trying to get more vacation days instead of a raise for next year.
    Unlimited personal days? How does that work exactly? Do you just ask for a day off and your boss gives the OK or not?

We accrue leave time in the course of work, at the rate of 1 day of vacation and 1 day of sick leave per month (13 days per year). The maximum accrual is 40 (work) days of vacation and infinite sick accrual. We also get 11 public holidays a year, 5 personal days per year, and 2 or 3 floating holidays that we have to work but may take as leave at some other point.

After 7 years of employment, you start accruing 1.5 vacation days per month (20 per year).
  • I get 10 hours of PTO that accrues monthly. I can have up to 160 hours at one time.
    How much do they let you roll over from year to year? The company I work for has a similar plan (10.something hours of PTO per month) plus anywhere from 2-3 "floating holidays" that are basically time off that you have to use in 8 hour blocks. The downside is they don't care how much PTO you rack up during the year but you can't roll over more than 40 hours at the end of the fiscal year. Sadly, this results in much suckage when people have to use available time off or lose it. We almost end up running on a skeleton staff from January to April as people are trying to burn it down to the 40-hour limit.
    As I said, I can have up 160 hours at a time. After that it's use it or lose it.
  • Unlimited personal days? How does that work exactly? Do you just ask for a day off and your boss gives the OK or not?
    The same as sick days. I can't use them for, say, a vacation, but I can use them to handle any personal emergency the same as I would a sick day. In jail? Personal day. House burned down? Personal day. Have the flu? Sick day. Taking care of someone else with the flu? Personal day.
  • I think I'm going to beef stroganoff tonight now.
    Can we have a DC FRCF dinner meetup the next time I'm in DC?
    Yes! Oh mans I know a huge array of great restaurants. Depends if you fine dining or dive dining. Either way you can't go wrong on taste.
  • Unlimited personal days? How does that work exactly? Do you just ask for a day off and your boss gives the OK or not?
    The same as sick days. I can't use them for, say, a vacation, but I can use them to handle any personal emergency the same as I would a sick day. In jail? Personal day. House burned down? Personal day. Have the flu? Sick day. Taking care of someone else with the flu? Personal day.
    It is called being salaried. If you aren't salaried (which not everyone is) than time like that is incredibly unusual.
  • edited October 2009
    Emily: Beef stroganoff was delicious...well maybe it needed a little salt but otherwise great.

DC FRCF: I know a great place that no one will want to go to because it's waaay out in VA.

As for today, I just made a bowl of hash browns for breakfast. Felt like I was eating many cereal.
    It is called being salaried. If you aren't salaried (which not everyone is) than time like that is incredibly unusual.
    I'm like a weird hybrid of salary. I have to keep a timesheet because I have to bill for 40 hours a week on average.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • AHHHHHH!!!

They just tested the fire alarm system, holy fuck is that loud!
  • So I'm on the T-Mode Advisory Committee for events and they really liked one of my ideas. So now were all working out the kinks and going to make it happen! Woo!
  • At generous places I have worked I've received 5 vacation days, 3 days of personal days, and 3 sick days per year which totals 11 self allocatable days
    Wait... what? THAT'S GENEROUS?! When do you unwind completely? How do you go on vacation?
    I get 10 hours of PTO that accrues monthly. I can have up to 160 hours at one time. I consider this pretty good by US standards.
    This sounds a lot more reasonable, 160 hours being 20 days, that's normal.
  • At generous places I have worked I've received 5 vacation days, 3 days of personal days, and 3 sick days per year which totals 11 self allocatable days
    Wait... what? THAT'S GENEROUS?! When do you unwind completely? How do you go on vacation?
    Kate is correct in her assessment. How do you imagine we get the number of days you said at first? I have a deal similar to Pete's, meaning I accrue a half day of vacation and a half day of sick time every pay period for thirteen days a year, and no, you can't count sick days as vacation days because if you take more than one at a time, you have to show some proof that you were sick. Those vacation days are even difficult to take consecutively. My long vacation this year was one week. One.

As for holidays, we get Christmas, New Years, MLK, President's Day, Labor and Memorial Day, Independence Day, Columbus Day, and Thanksgiving. That's not many holidays, and it's more than most people get.

In answer to your question about how do we get to rest, I'd ask - how do you ever get anything done?
    The five days are my vacation. If I need more beyond that, the time is unpaid. If I were to take too many unpaid days, I will not get a bonus, not get a raise, and may even be fired.
  • edited October 2009
    My boo yah is that the week before last I won a three day long jury trial, I survived the last round of layoffs, and I even received a bonus. I haves a happy.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited October 2009
    I get only 14 days to use for vacation/sick/personal days, and thus I use up a bunch of them if I get the flu and subsequently can't go on a decent vacation. Actually, I think I use up most of my vacation tagging along to cons with Scrym, which I would rather not do sometimes, because then I can't go home to see my mom and dad. In addition to that we have 6 days that are national holidays which we are granted leave. Here. I am all out of vacation days. Here is how I used them, with • equaling days. (And that is because I worked from home when I had the swine flu.)

I think this is typical American Vacation Time.

New Years [•]
    Sick Days so far this year [••••] - A couple of head colds (I took a day off last week) and an upset stomach one day. I try not to go into work sick because then others get sick.
    Costa Rica [•••••] - This was my main vacation this year. I took a week to go visit my great Aunt.
    Margy Graduation[•]
    Otakon[••]
    Pax[••]
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I think it's funny looking back on it now, realizing that my current job (which is my sixth official job) is the first one where I've gotten any sick or vacation time. I guess part-time jobs don't even consider giving those out.

Anyway, I currently get one sick day per month (accrued up to 10 day, at which point I stop getting them), and two weeks of vacation time per year, accrued over time. Plus, we get 11 days of mandatory holiday time off. So that all totals up to 35 per year for a new hire, and if I don't use vacation time, it continues to build up. Needless to say, my company is way above the curve for a US company.
  • Oops. We get 10 scheduled holidays and 2 floating holidays every year. I have to justify sick leave used for more than 2 consecutive sick days, and we have to fill out a vacation request form if we're going to use 3 or more consecutive days of vacation.
  • Seriously though, I think we should actually make this FRCF dinner possibility a reality because a good time will be had by all who come. Where and when should we go?
  • edited October 2009
    Heading out to Knotts' Halloween Haunt. See you later, suckers!
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Heading out toKnotts' Halloween Haunt.Later, suckers!
    Jealous. I miss going to Knott's Scary Farm. I used to go when my family lived in Arizona. We would take a road trip to see family in SoCal. Have fun!
  • @Kate: I was salaried at my last job and did not get unlimited personal days. I got two, but our days were 9 hours, so technically I got 18 personal hours. I got 5 sick days. So basically, between dentist appointments, doctors appointments, being sick, and other stuff I had to take care of, I ended up working late a bunch to make up the hours I missed (or having to take it out of my vacation time).
  • I ended up working late a bunch to make up the hours I missed (or having to take it out of my vacation time).
    This is also what I do unless it's just too much of a hassle to make up the hours.
  • edited October 2009
    @Kate: I was salaried at my last job and did not get unlimited personal days. I got two, but our days were 9 hours, so technically I got 18 personal hours. I got 5 sick days. So basically, between dentist appointments, doctors appointments, being sick, and other stuff I had to take care of, I ended up working late a bunch to make up the hours I missed (or having to take it out of my vacation time).
    I wasn't meaning to imply that everyone salaried has unlimited personal days, but I see now that I did. Salaried positions often have a greater flexibility of schedule and usually have more vacation time. That was the point I was (rather poorly) making.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Oh yeah, that's true...when I was in my job interview, I straight-up told them I needed the ability to take a day off and then work a Saturday or something to make up the hours, since I had so few vacation days and I go to cons. It was a condition of my taking the job. I had no problem doing the work, but the flexibility of schedule was a necessity. I could also come in at any time in the morning (usually between 8 and 10) and stay as long as I needed to. There were, of course, times that we were crunched and I worked extra-long days, but I got to take short days later. We pretty much moved time around on our time sheets to fill in the space we needed...as long as we had 45 hours a week each month, they didn't care what day we put it down for.

Between that and the fact that there was nobody at my workplace that I disliked, my last job was pretty awesome. The only drawbacks were that it got monotonous and didn't pay as much as I'd like.
  • edited October 2009
    After a year trying to get my computer business rolling, I have spent almost the whole week fixing peoples computers and getting monies for it! Finally, self-employment is beginning to pay well.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • After a year trying to get my computer business rolling, I have spent almost the whole week fixing peoples computers and getting monies for it! Finally, self-employment is beginning to pay well.
    Good on you!
  • After a year trying to get my computer business rolling, I have spent almost the whole week fixing peoples computers and getting monies for it! Finally, self-employment is beginning to pay well.
    Sweet, congratulations!
    Yay! Hope you get more business!