This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spring DS flashcart guide

edited February 2009 in Video Games
Here's a quick rundown of what's what in running unsolicited code on your DS, post any questions or thoughts in the comments.

NDS slot
CycloDS is still the flat out best if you don't mind paying double the price of most other cards for it. [Please note: the review is very old, the firmware is pretty much flawless now. The black version is also easy to find.]

The AceKard2 looks pretty interesting, it has the SDHC support and touch screen menus. Also runs at half about 3/4 the price of the CycloDS. Only thing that seems amiss is the sketchy cheat code support. They also make a version for the DSi (which might not be compatible with the plain/lite DS, I think.).

If you're a punk kid with little money or want something to give to family members, an R4DS (or one of it's clones) with a 2GB SD card will do you fine.

GBA Slot
If you are wanting to play GBA games as well, I would recommend the EZ 3-in-1. It integrates directly with the CycloDS out of the box or with the AceKard2 if you use a modified firmware called Akaio. For the R4DS or the stock AceKard2 firmware, you can just use a program called GBA Exploder.

Software
Don't forget to go here if you need cheat codes (particularly the one that removes the Chrono Trigger DRM). Themes can be found at NDSThemes.com

For emulators, I suggest: SNemulDS (SNES), JenesisDS (Mega Drive/Genesis), nesDS (NES), lameboy (GB/GBC)
For apps, I suggest: ComicbookDS (Comic reader), PADictDS (Japanese dictionary).

Comments

• If you're a punk kid with little money or want something to give to family members, an R4DS (or one of it's clones) with a 2GB SD card will do you fine.
    I just ordered one of the R4 clones, and I've heard about a few of them damaging the DS hardware. Am i in much danger of this?
  • edited March 2009
    What is the brand of card have you ordered?

Hmm.. after a quick search is seems R4 put out a warning against using their firmware with a clone card.
    Bricking the DS goes against what I know about it, in that: In order to rewrite the firmware (as I have done to remove the health screen) you have to short a pair of metal plates underneath the battery.
    This said, proceed with caution.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What is the brand of card have you ordered?

Hmm.. after a quick search is seems R4 put out a warning against using their firmware with a clone card.
    Bricking the DS goes against what I know about it, in that: In order to rewrite the firmware (as I have done to remove the health screen) you have to short a pair of metal plates underneath the battery.
    This said, proceed with caution.
    I don't know what brand it is but this is the one I ordered. There is a link to download a version of the firmware for this card on the order page, so I don't think that is a problem. I'm just a little paranoid that it will hurt my DS.
  • edited March 2009
    this
    Holy crap, 6.77$? I'm getting myself some.
    Also, you don't know what brand it is? There's "R4" covering half of the box.
    Post edited by Anastius on
  • There's "R4" covering half of the box.
    It's a clone of the R4. It's not the original one.
  • edited March 2009
    Please be warned, DealExtreme can take a whole long time to send stuff.

I'm pretty sure these people just worked out the R4's workings then just added the SDHC hardware and modify the official R4 firmware as it's released. You should be ok as long as you go to this website and NOT this one (Yes, they even counterfeited the website.).
  • Ah, so it seems. Sorry. R4-SDHC, then.
  • You should be ok as long as you go tothis websiteandNOTthis one
    Shouldn't I just go to the website DealExtreme linked to on their page, if I want to download the firmware?
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the Deal Extreme page, someone started a thread to ask about which flashcart this actually is.
  • Vaguely related: I have a CycloDS Evolution, and the hinge of my DS Lite is busted, and will cost $60-$75 to fix. I would almost rather just wait till April to get the DSi. Is the Cyclo tested as working on the DSi, or should I skip it and shell out to get my Lite fixed?
  • Vaguely related: I have a CycloDS Evolution, and the hinge of my DS Lite is busted, and will cost $60-$75 to fix. I would almost rather just wait till April to get the DSi. Is the Cyclo tested as working on the DSi, or should I skip it and shell out to get my Lite fixed?
    I'm pretty sure it won't work with the DSi because of the firmware. They are making cards that work with it but Nintendo will just put out a firmware upgrade to block it.
  • They are making cards that work with it but Nintendo will just put out a firmware upgrade to block it.
    Repair it is.
  • They are making cards that work with it but Nintendo will just put out a firmware upgrade to block it.
    Repair it is.
    I've heard that they are going to make cards that will be able to be flashed or something so that you can upgrade them as the DS is but for now I think repair is the best solution.
  • edited March 2009
    When the DSi comes out I doubt we'll be needing to buy flashcards anymore. Since it has an SD card slot and all, I could easily see that being the #1 most exploitable way to hack the DSi.
    As for fixing it...fuck it. Sell it back to gamestop or ebay (list it as a broken one, it could still sell to fixer uppers) and get a used one.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I'm guessing there will eventually be some sort of custom firmware like with the psp, and we'll be good once that happens.
  • edited March 2009
    Some of that depends on whether the DSi's firmware is write protected or not (the DS's was, you had to bridge two panels to make it writable). DSi compatibility is probably going to require a flashcart. Nintendo worked out how to block them at the hardware level.

It'd be nice if someone worked out how to use the SD card slot to load games and integrate it with the default DSi menu. I'd give it a few months before we see the first SD hacks.
  • Is there an easy way to pull screenshots from a DS game? I like to add images to my game reviews but the stock images provided by the video game companies never satisfy me. I'd like to be able to play the game on my DS and use an attached device to get good screenshots.
  • I would personally suggest some kind of DS emulator.
  • I would personally suggest some kind ofDS emulator.
    I have one of those already. I don't have a way to get the completed game onto my computer though.
  • I would personally suggest some kind ofDS emulator.
    Sadly the 'popular' DS emulators are crap. That one included. What you want is an emulator that is more likely to work than not. Try No$GBA, it's small and can interface with your DS, but since I don't got one of those I wouldn't know how good that works.
  • edited March 2009
    Yeah, from a flashcart, I'm not sure if it's possible to grab screenshots. From an emulator, that's perfectly easy, though. No$GBA is regarded as one of the best DS emulators.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I have No$GBA. I just don't enjoy playing games with it.
  • Then don't. Get the screenshot then stop playing the game.
  • Then don't. Get the screenshot then stop playing the game.
    And if the screenshot I'm looking for occurs 10 hours into playing the game?

I have a DS.
    I have the game.
    I have a computer.
    I have the emulator.

What I am looking for is something that will allow me to play the game on the DS and either be attached to the DS while I play (grabbing the video) or something that will facilitate ripping the (now complete) ROM off the chip so I can use it in the emulator to grab screenshots.

If such a thing does not exists just say so.
  • edited March 2009
    You could use a flashcart to play to the point then copy the save over (There is a site that will convert them for you.).
    Even on a cartridge, the game and save data are kept separate to save cost.
  • edited March 2009
    You could use a flashcart to play to the point then copy the save over (There is a site that will convert them for you.).
    Even on a cartridge, the game and save data are kept separate to save cost.
    Hell, if you play with a flashcart, then use the .sav file on an emulator, I don't see why you need to convert at all. I've taken tons of .sav files from NES, SNES, and GBA games on my computer and have successfully used those on my DS flashcart and vice versa. I haven't, though, taken a .sav file from a .nds game and used it on an emulator on the computer.
    I don't see why it would be any different...
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Different flashcarts use different kinds of save files.
  • edited March 2009
    I have an R4. That's good enough for what I want. My standard of non-piracy based 'game demo' and VNDS.
    I got mine from a place called OzModChips, for you Australians.

There's some other good homebrew around, but... none that I would really recommend.

"Different flashcarts use different kinds of save files. "
    I didn't know that, actually. R4 uses the same with standard r4 software as it does with YSMenu.
    Post edited by deaf-mute on
  • If you go here and look down the pulldown list, you can see that the major ones use the same .sav format but as there are so many variants, some of them use different types.
  • What is the current best DS Flash cart?