This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spring DS flashcart guide

Comments

• Yeah, you can get a slot 2 cart for ~$5, so go for an Acekard + the EZ 3-in-1.
  • Which is a good site to buy an Acekard from?
  • Scott mentioned leetmod.com earlier in the thread, and I'm pretty sure that's where I bought mine. Seems to be the pinnacle of this shady business.
  • That shady site is the maker of the r4 clone I've got. It works fine but you really wanna upgrade the firmware as often as possible. Otherwise, a lot of games won't work. I'd say go with an Acekard since they're not that much more expensive and they have some built in memory. If you're just getting a basic flash card for a ds phat/lite then an r4 will be fine but if you're going to put any serious amount of money into it then go with an Acekard or something a bit more upscale. I think I paid like $7 for my R4 a couple years ago so use that info as you will.
  • So, does anyone know the best flash card to buy for my 3DS? I'm thinking about picking one up in the next few days.
  • Well the R4 clones are pretty good and cheap but you have to remember that the 3DS remembers ever cart inserted into it, which might give you issues in the future when it comes to selling or maybe even updates.
  • Well the R4 clones are pretty good and cheap but you have to remember that the 3DS remembers ever cart inserted into it, which might give you issues in the future when it comes to selling or maybe even updates.
    R4s now are all crap clone cards, work only occationally, and mostly suck.
    So, does anyone know the best flash card to buy for my 3DS? I'm thinking about picking one up in the next few days.
    You basically have two choices: expensive (SuperCard DSTWO, $40), which can do everything: slice, dice, puree, and emulate the GBA, and reasonable (AceKard 2i) which.... Runs homebrew and "backups". Always make sure to update the firmware to your card first, then your 3DS, or have a DSPhat/Lite around to do the updating with later.
  • edited July 2012
    My R4 clone has always worked fine. Any time a game didn't work, a firmware update always fixed that. Granted, I bought mine a few years ago, but it was still a clone when I bought it. Have they gotten really shitty in the last 4 years or something?
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • At MAGFest I got a card that works on the 3DS. What I'm looking for now are rom torrents. I have no problem finding complete collections of US games for NES, SNES, and Genesis, but I really want all the games from around the world. Every Japanese NES, SNES, Genesis game should also be included. Pirate Bay does not have such a torrent. Is there even one out there?
  • Google: japanese 3ds roms --> Result 5
    http://jp-games.com/
    The first rom I clicked on yielded this, so it's worth it.
  • edited January 2014
    Apreche said:

At MAGFest I got a card that works on the 3DS.

But it only works in DS mode, right? The 3DS mode ones I've seen only work with specific versions of the 3DS firmware.

I just ordered a Supercard DSTWO, which will only work in DS mode but should be capable of emulating GBA, SNES and Genesis, whether that be on a 3DS or a normal DS.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • 3DS Gateway cards will run 3DS games.
  • Yeah, but only with 3DS firmware between 4.1 and 4.5, and it would be strange if Scott still had the older firmware.
  • edited January 2014
    Oh wait, Scott's request was oddly worded, I'll see if I can rustle up the site I found all the crazy Japanese PSX games.
    @LoC: If that's the case it may end up in the situation the PSP had where once a system was exploited, it would write to an area that further updates wouldn't write over and/or produced custom updates.

https://torrentz.eu/search?f=famicom
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• I just ordered a Supercard DSTWO, which will only work in DS mode but should be capable of emulating GBA, SNES and Genesis, whether that be on a 3DS or a normal DS.

Where did you order it from? I'm having issues finding a good site to buy a new Flash Cart from. I just got my old R4 clone on dealextreme back when they sold them.
  • edited January 2014
    Omnutia said:

Oh wait, Scott's request was oddly worded, I'll see if I can rustle up the site I found all the crazy Japanese PSX games.
    @LoC: If that's the case it may end up in the situation the PSP had where once a system was exploited, it would write to an area that further updates wouldn't write over and/or produced custom updates.

https://torrentz.eu/search?f=famicom

Yeah, I think that's already happening; the Gateway 3DS has a feature they're calling "emuNAND" which installs newer firmware to an SD card rather than the physical NAND storage.

However, that doesn't solve the problem for people who have already updated their system firmware past version 4.5, as I don't know of any way of downgrading back to version 4.5.

I've been considering buying a 3DS and a 3DS mode flashcart, but with these limitations I have to think twice about it; the first step would be to find a 3DS or 3DS XL with the older firmware.
  • edited January 2014
    Apreche said:

At MAGFest I got a card that works on the 3DS. What I'm looking for now are rom torrents. I have no problem finding complete collections of US games for NES, SNES, and Genesis, but I really want all the games from around the world. Every Japanese NES, SNES, Genesis game should also be included. Pirate Bay does not have such a torrent. Is there even one out there?

How about these torrents:
    http://thepiratebay.se/search/every ROM EVER/0/7/400

I downloaded all of these a while ago. I can't say for sure they're all 100% complete, but at the very least they do include Japanese ROMs. Of course, I'd recommend downloading the emulators and utilites separately as I wouldn't trust the ones included in the torrent, and you'd want newer versions anyway.
  • edited January 2014

I just ordered a Supercard DSTWO, which will only work in DS mode but should be capable of emulating GBA, SNES and Genesis, whether that be on a 3DS or a normal DS.

Where did you order it from? I'm having issues finding a good site to buy a new Flash Cart from. I just got my old R4 clone on dealextreme back when they sold them.
    I answered and apparently my comment needs to be approved. The suggestion I was making in that post was this - try looking through the shop listings at ShopTemp, or the GBAtemp forums. The stores they suggest there are probably better than random ones off Google.
  • edited January 2014
    Ok, the Genesis torrrent includes the Japanese games. The NES one does not. The others are still downloading.

The SNES one is truly complete. It even has the weird horse racing games I saw at MAGFest.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Speaking of weird horse racing games, Final Furlong is hilarious when you're pissed.
  • Final furlong was one of the first games I saw on TV.
  • WISE FWOM YOUR GWABE!

Ok, so in light of 3DS-related-stuffs I've been wading back into the world of flashcarts for Nintendo systems. I'm toying with the idea of getting an older, used 3DS and then just picking up a new one when the new hardware ships some time next year. Having not touched a flashcart since my original R4 on my DS, I'm just a bit out of the loop. Are the suggestions presented earlier in this thread for 3DS stuff still valid? While it'd be nice to be able to pull a try-before-you-buy on the 3DS games, I'm more interested in playing the backlog of older stuff I have ROMS for in the NES and SNES realm, as well as the occasional old DS game.
  • Here's the deal with 3DS flash carts the last time I investigated. Flash carts DO work on the 3DS. However, the 3DS will be in DS mode. You can't get 3DS games onto that flash cart unless you have a very specific old firmware version that has a hack. It's very hard to get a 3DS with firmware old enough for that.

So yes, you can play your NES, SNES, and DS games on your flash cart. However, the 3DS will be in DS mode. You won't get to use the entire 3DS screen resolution. SNES games still won't fit perfectly because they don't fit on a DS screen.

You are better off carrying around a DS Lite which also has the GBA slot, but 3DS will work ok.
  • Funny, I just bought a coupe of DS Lites last night. I play a lot of DS games with my son, Mario Kart, Bomber man, Contra etc.
    He loves it so much I have decided to get a DS Lite for each of his two cousins so they can play 3 player, or 4 if I happen to be around. I just mirror my WoodR4 SD card across to the R4's, so setting them up took about... 1 minute.

For 3DS, much to the disbelief (I'm sure) of the entire gaming community, has for all intents and purposes, not yet been properly hacked.

I also discovered a new DS game recently, Monster Tale! It's a cute little platformer that heavily rips off Metroid! Got good reviews too. Take a look at that one if you are bored, well worth a go.
  • Monster Tale is good, I've played it, but never finished. One problem I had with it that it encouraged you to juggle enemies as long as possible, even and especially after their death, to max out your monies. But that juggling got kind dull and boring fast, but I can not do it, I need all the monies.
  • Apsup said:

Monster Tale is good, I've played it, but never finished. One problem I had with it that it encouraged you to juggle enemies as long as possible, even and especially after their death, to max out your monies. But that juggling got kind dull and boring fast, but I can't not do it, I need all the monies.

• For 3DS, much to the disbelief (I'm sure) of the entire gaming community, has for all intents and purposes, not yet been properly hacked.

Apparently someone hacked it to do sort of the same thing the Wii has with the homebrew channel but hasn't released the exploit due to wanting to wait for the "New 3DS" to come out because he thinks his exploit may work on there too.
  • Apsup said:

Monster Tale is good, I've played it, but never finished. One problem I had with it that it encouraged you to juggle enemies as long as possible, even and especially after their death, to max out your monies. But that juggling got kind dull and boring fast, but I can not do it, I need all the monies.

Yup, it seems to want you to juggle a bit, I'm not yet sure if you HAVE to grind yet, or if you can finish the game without maxing out stats.

Still, for a game of this quality, I was quite pleasantly surprised to find it!

Wonder what other "hidden gems" are out there, on the DS or other systems.

Quick, someone start a thread.
  • Apsup said:

Monster Tale is good, I've played it, but never finished. One problem I had with it that it encouraged you to juggle enemies as long as possible, even and especially after their death, to max out your monies. But that juggling got kind dull and boring fast, but I can not do it, I need all the monies.

Yup, it seems to want you to juggle a bit, I'm not yet sure if you HAVE to grind yet, or if you can finish the game without maxing out stats.

Still, for a game of this quality, I was quite pleasantly surprised to find it!

Wonder what other "hidden gems" are out there, on the DS or other systems.

Quick, someone start a thread.
    As far as I remember it's not super hard game, so you probably have no need to max out your income, but when game gives me a system to do so I will attempt to do so, even if it causes me to get bored with it.
  • Monster Tale is great but fairly easy. Once you beat the game there's no real point to continuing to play, even if you haven't unlocked everything.