This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Spring DS flashcart guide

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Faak, people still playing DS games? I'm on it.

They're kinda hard to find, what with Nintendo censoring sites that sell them from Google.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • They're kinda hard to find, what with Nintendo censoring sites that sell them from Google.
    Interesting.
  • edited October 2010
    I'd go with the AceKard 2i. There's so many R4 clones that I'd stay away from them.

It seems the flashcart links are back, or at least the DMCA warning at the bottom of the page has gone.
  • I'd go with the AceKard 2i.
    Looks like a really good card. What will I need to go with it to play GBA games?
  • edited October 2010
    EZ Flash 3-in-1, some firmwares integrate with it. It's worth getting that one specifically as it also has RAM memory that GBA games can load into (Which takes much less time than loading it into the NAND.).
  • Ordered from leetmod.com. Their prices were low, and they had both things in stock. We'll see if they are reliable, or if I have to charge back.
  • This seems (vaguely) like the thread to ask about this. Like others, the hinge on my DS Phat broke. While everything still works, even before that I was having trouble with my L button. How easy would it be to buy a new case from, say, DealExtreme, and move all the guts over?
  • This seems (vaguely) like the thread to ask about this. Like others, the hinge on my DS Phat broke. While everything still works, even before that I was having trouble with my L button. How easy would it be to buy a new case from, say, DealExtreme, and move all the guts over?
    Just get a used DS phat that isn't broken.
    Used phat DSes on Amazon
  • This seems (vaguely) like the thread to ask about this. Like others, the hinge on my DS Phat broke. ... How easy would it be to buy a new case from, say, DealExtreme, and move all the guts over?
    Just get a used DS phat that isn't broken.
    Or if you've got the cash, look at this as a chance to upgrade and do some experimentation at the same time. A used DSLite isn't going to run you much more than a used Phat (a quick search on Amazon shows them at about $30 higher). Pick one of those up in addition to ordering a replacement case from DX, and then treat the transplant as a project. If the transplant works you've got a spare DS and if it doesn't then you're no worse off and you can sell the busted one on eBay as parts.
  • Looks like leetmod.com is legit. Just got a shipping confirmation. I guess I have to actually receive the products and make sure they are the real deal to full confirm, but a USPS tracking code is a good sign.
  • Looks like leetmod.com is legit. Just got a shipping confirmation.
    Please keep us posted on how quick the shipment gets here and the quality of the product. I've been thinking about ordering an EZ Flash 3-in-1 for my DSL to go with my AceKard 2i and leetmod.com's price is about ten bucks cheaper than realhotstuff.com where I got my original flashcard.
  • Would also be interested to get trustworthy feedback on one of these sites. Have always considered grabbing one of these carts, but truthfully I really don't need it, so I never bothered looking into where to order. If I can get a known good working unit for cheap, w/o risk of it being a scam, then I'm in.
  • Real Hot Stuff (this link goes to an R4) used to be really legit. I bought my CycloDS from them and an R4 for one of my friends from that site. I never had problems. It looks like the R4 is under $10, which is fantastic. They also have PSP Pandora batteries, which is really cool because when I was hacking my psp a little over a year ago I had to hunt around the internet for a site to buy a Pandora battery from.

So unless they've really changed their ways since the last time I bought from them, I would highly recommend them.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • From what I heard the R4 cards are no longer as up-to-date as other cards, firmware wise, meaning you won't have an easy time getting newer games to work if at all.
    This is mostly true. There aren't official firmware updates for non-DSi R4s, but there is a Japanese coder who wrote and maintains his own firmware that is compatible with older cards.
  • edited October 2010
    From what I heard the R4 cards are no longer as up-to-date as other cards, firmware wise, meaning you won't have an easy time getting newer games to work if at all.
    The R4 did go out of date for a long time.. Until "Wood R4" came along. I believe its a variant of the same OS used on Acekard2i.

At any rate, it brought the R4 back from the dead, it runs basically everything again and is regularly updated.

http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/R4_compatibility_list

I still think Acekard2i is the best card on the market right now, but yeah, for $10 the R4 is still an amazing cart.

I carry both, with exclusively multi player games on them. So if I meet someone who has a DS I pop that in for them, and we can play Tetris, Bomberman, Mario kart etc, and for $10 you can probably let them just keep it =)

FYI I buy all my single player games and use the flashkarts for games that need multiple copies to get the full multi player experience =)
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • I got my card from leetmod with no problem. Time to have some fun.
  • Stuff just showed up from Leetmod. Actually it showed up earlier today, I just didn't check the mailbox until now. Tomorrow I'll get a new DS Lite and test it out.

Also, don't buy your memory cards from the same people selling the flash carts. They rip you off. Head to Amazon or Newegg. I got this bad boy.

Kingston 8 GB microSDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card SDC4/8GB
  • I have a friend who asked me this question and since I don't know the answer I will ask here.

Has anyone used this site? It seems and looks a bit dodgy.
  • Looks way dodgy.
  • It looks dodgy, because the R4 makers are dodgy. That is an official website.
  • Dodgy isn't a strong enough word.
  • It looks dodgy, because the R4 makers are dodgy. That is an official website.
    Whoah.

Also, why R4? I thought that Cyclo or Acekard were the best?
  • That's the site for the first flashcart I had.

It's a piece of shit. Don't even look at it or anything related to it.
  • Acekard is the business. I'll not speak to DSi carts, as I haven't got one, but it's great for DS.
  • As an Acekard2i owner I can give one big piece of advice. Update the software on it whenever there is a a new version for best performance.
  • AceKard is pretty awesome. CycloDS has a nifty option to emulate GBA games on-board, so you don't need a Slot-2 thing. However, the difference is price. The Cyclo is $40, the AceKard is $20, maximum.
  • That's probably the official site for one of the copycat flashcarts.

Make sure you download the firmware for your card from the site they tell you, a lot of those similar looking cards won't work with each other's firmware.
  • Also, why R4? I thought that Cyclo or Acekard were the best?
    So, what is the one I want to get? DS lite, if that matters.
  • Acekard is what I'd go with. Also get an EZ 3-in-1 for GBA games.

I have a CycloDS but most people wouldn't use that much.