This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• If I want to suck on a sugar cane, I'll suck on a sugar cane. I want my drink to taste like a burning pine cone in my mouth.
    I should bring you some of my home-made rum. It's like an Angel jizzing vanilla and spices down your throat. And then, being 55%, it kicks you in the chest like Bruce Lee.
    I've been thinking about trying a recipe to make home-made vanilla bourbon...gonna experiment with that.
  • I attempted to poach an egg in beer tonight and make the ultimate breakfast food. Sadly, my attempts formed some sort of hoppy, eggy gruel. I'm chalking it up to the carbonic acid in the beer breaking the yolk and then denaturing all my delicious egg proteins.
  • Met up with a group of friends I had not seen in years this past weekend. Someone decided the best place to meet would be a new italian restaurant in my old hometown w/ a bar in front. After bemoaning the poor beer selection we decided to try the only thing we hadn't heard of, the Buckler. About 1/3 through the drink and everyone agreeing it tasted like chilled piss, I discovered the phrase "NON-ALCOHOLIC" displayed prominently across the label. A true face-to-palm moment. Luckily the bartender was nice enough to offer us a free round of Amstel Light which only tasted a little bit like piss.
  • Hey guys, I'm having a Fourth of July Barbecue and I'm looking for some good beer pairing recommendations. The food is going to be Texas Barbecue style. We are looking at mildly spicy smoked brisket, sausage, coleslaw, and similar foods. Any recommendations?
  • Yuengling Lager. Cheap, good.
  • Newcastle Brown Ale is pretty nice with bbq too.
  • Newcastle Brown Ale is pretty nice with bbq too.
    The old nukey brown is pretty damn fine with a bit of barbecue, ditto old Peculiar.
  • These are all well and good, but my parents are fronting the bill and I'm looking to get some high quality stuff. From what I've read, it seems stouts pair very well with grilled food.
  • edited July 2010
    My girly drinks taste alcoholic.
    I didn't say they're not alcoholic. I said they don't taste as alcoholic as they actually are. There's a difference.
    Okay, (A) I know you didn't say they aren't alcoholic. If you look at what I wrote, I didn't say that either. And (B) you are full of shit; NO drink tastes as alcoholic as it is. You know why? Alcohol has NO FLAVOR! :P
    Your palette just isn't refined enough to penetrate beyond the sweetness.
    If I want to suck on a sugar cane, I'll suck on a sugar cane. I want my drink to taste like a burning pine cone in my mouth.
    Sugar cane doesn't have the complexity that that 3-stage mead had, but you couldn't taste the flavors in the mead because your palette is a pussy. Besides, I have actually had burning pine cone in my mouth (an unfortunate incident on controlled burn day during forestry camp). It tastes nothing like you think. It is, in fact, quite unpleasant and blistery. Also, I believe you mean Juniper cones and not pine cones, because pine cones do not smell of pine resin. You see what happens when you reference tree parts to a forester? +1 Buzzkill to Nuri!
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • As a Beer hater, I like my drinks to taste good not be torture to drink (though if you know how I make mixed drinks you'd realize I also like torture apparently).
  • These are all well and good, but my parents are fronting the bill and I'm looking to get some high quality stuff. From what I've read, it seems stouts pair very well with grilled food.
    Stouts pair well with steaks and heavier things like that. With barbeque, and particularly in the summer, you want to get something more pilsner-y.

A pale ale does work pretty well. Are you familiar with Stone stuff? Stone Levitation Ale is good all-around pale ale that's perfect for summer weather. It's very hoppy, but that goes well with tangy foods.

You're in Georgia? Get some Sweetwater stuff. The 420 IPA is pretty tasty. Sweetwater Road Trip is pretty mild, but it's perfect for the summer.

Sam Summer Ale is always a reliable choice.

If you want to go the stout route, go with Guinness Extra Stout. It's tasty, but not too heavy. Stay clear of porters; they'll be too heavy for the weather.

If you're looking for a clean German beer, go with a maibock of some sort. They're solid and malty, but clean.
    but you couldn't taste the flavors in the mead because your palette is a pussy.
    No, I couldn't taste the flavors in the mead because my palette went "OMGSUGAR!" and everything else got pushed aside. If I had a nicely balanced mead, that would be a different story.
    Juniper berries
    FTFY
  • Alcohol has NO FLAVOR TASTES LIKE BURNING!!!
    FTFY.
    I like my drinks to taste good not be torture to drink
    Are you sure that you can pee standing up?
  • it seems stouts pair very well with grilled food.
    Stouts may pair well with barbeque, but will they pair with your guests? Most people don't seem to have the palette for anything heavier than Bud, I advise caution.
    Alcohol has NO FLAVOR!
    Yes it does, the flavor is pain.
  • Most people don't seem to have the palette for anything heavier than Bud, I advise caution.
    Yes, it's unfortunate but true.

So far I'm looking at getting some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, some Sweetwater stuff (if I can get it in Virginia), possibly a light Hefeweizen for those who like lighter beers, and some darker IPAs (maybe a couple Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPAs) for those who would want something darker to compliment the smoked brisket.
  • @Andrew: If you have access to a blender, I'd suggest making some Beergaritas. They're surprisingly tasty.
  • Okay Beer Wizards, I need you to recommend me some beer.

My tastes in alcohols are:

"Light" European beers (Becks, Holsten, Heineken etc)
    Gin based Cocktails.
    Jagermeister
    Red Wines, mainly sweeter ones.

Dislikes:
    Alcohol with creams
    Tequila

Judge and help me please!
  • Beer Wizards
  • Easy to find Domestics:
    Samuel Adam's Summer Ale
    Blue Moon
    Yuenglings Lager or Yuengling Premium Beer
    Sierra Nevada Summerfest
    Bud Lite Golden Wheat

Imports but still not too hard to locate:
    Strongbow Cider on Draft only. I don't care for the canned stuff myself.
    Hoegaarden
    Stella Artois
    Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier

You may want to pass on anything with Imperial in the title. Those beers maybe a bit too intense for you right now.

I also suggest doing a brewery tour and trying the free samples, or finding a local brew pub that serves flights. A flight is 6-10 different 3oz beers. You may not like all of them, but it'l give you an idea of what you don't like. Beerfests are another good place to go to learn what you like.
  • edited July 2010
    You may want to pass on anything withImperialin the title
    That's actually the most popular beer down here, it's not that bad.
    Product Information (12oz serving)

Calories-150 Carbohydrates-13.845 grams Protein-3.59 grams Style-Dortmunder Lager Alcohol Content-4.6% by volume IBU-16.5
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I should have explained what I meant by "imperial". Imperial as a noun in the name of a beer is fine. Imperial as an adjective added to the type of beer denote a variation on a style that is more extreme than the standard of the style. Basically more of everything. An "imperial" stout will contain even more roasted malt flavor than is usual and a higher alcohol content. An "imperial" or Double India Pale Ale will be even more heavily hopped than most IPAs and again will have a higher alcohol content. Same goes for "imperial" lagers or pilsners. I have never tried an imperial lager or pilsner, but now I know what I'm drinking later. :)

I like some imperial beers, but they're not something I'd suggest to beginning beer snobs.
  • edited July 2010
    Stella Artois
    FFS, don't drink Stella. It's terribly bland. It's the Budweiser Natty Ice of Belgian beers. If you're going to recommend a European lager, go with some Pilsner Urquell, or better yet, Sam Adams Noble Pils. I think the Noble Pils is out of season, but they're bringing it back.
    Red Wines, mainly sweeter ones.
    How sweet are we talking? Ice wine territory? In any event, I'm assuming that you also like them full-bodied, as most reds are. You'll want to look for good Trappist ales; I recommend Chimay Blue, Orval, Trappist Rochefort 10, and anything called a "dubbel" or "tripel," especially the Westmalle stuff. Stay clear of quadrupels; they're delicious but they'll wreck you. Also, Ommegang makes Belgian-inspired ales; try the Abbey Ale and Hennepin. Hennepin is a saison style; it's like a hefeweizen, only better.

EDIT: If you like ciders, check out a good lambic. They're sweet and tart, and very very fruity.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Strongbow Cider on Draft only. I don't care for the canned stuff myself.
    They sell it in bottles. The canned stuff tastes weird, but the bottles are fine.
  • Tried two beers not too long ago that I feel like commenting on.

1. Unibroue's Ephemere. Granted, I don't feel manly for drinking it, but I did really like the light taste and great apple flavor within it. I think it's good beer to start with to get into the fruit-based beers, because it focuses on fizzy fruit taste. Not sweet enough for a dessert beer, but good nonetheless.

2. New Holland's El Ocho Mole. I really liked this beer, something about a beer that advertises an essence of chili in it, makes me want to try it...and it was very much like a mole...chocolate and kind of spicy. It was much more carbonated than I expected and came in a ruby-red color, but I really loved it. It was about 8% ABV, and very worth buying the 22oz bottle. I'd also say it's very versatile because I thought it was great stand-alone and with food.
  • I think the Noble Pils is out of season, but they're bringing it back.
    In the Spring. You should drink Sam Octoberfest while you wait. It's my favorite beer.
    Stella isn't an amazing beer, but it's a step in the right direction. Don't buy it in a bar. They'll over charge you.
    New Holland's El Ocho Mole
    I need to try that.

• 2. New Holland's El Ocho Mole. I really liked this beer, something about a beer that advertises an essence of chili in it, makes me want to try it...and it was very much like a mole...chocolate and kind of spicy. It was much more carbonated than I expected and came in a ruby-red color, but I really loved it. It was about 8% ABV, and very worth buying the 22oz bottle. I'd also say it's very versatile because I thought it was great stand-alone and with food.
    How chocolatey was it? I can only stand chocolate beers to a point.

• 2. New Holland's El Ocho Mole. I really liked this beer, something about a beer that advertises an essence of chili in it, makes me want to try it...and it was very much like a mole...chocolate and kind of spicy. It was much more carbonated than I expected and came in a ruby-red color, but I really loved it. It was about 8% ABV, and very worth buying the 22oz bottle. I'd also say it's very versatile because I thought it was great stand-alone and with food.
    How chocolatey was it? I can only stand chocolate beers to a point.
    I thought it was strong, but not overpowering. Like, it didn't make the beer itself hard to drink through because it has a body like a spiced ale. I enjoy sweet beers but my brother, who prefers really strong beers, thought it was like carbonated Kaluha.
  • FFS, don't drink Stella.
    Why would you even think of drinking stella. You don't even have a wife to beat.

Random photos -
    My mate Robert, Grabbin' peelsPils.
    Monty python's holy Ail, Officially licenced ale.