This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• Very reminiscent of the Mikkeller labels.
  • Very reminiscent of the Mikkeller labels.
    That was part of my inspiration.
  • Since I am now legally allowed to buy alcohol, I'd like to solicit advice. I'm particularly fond of stouts and IPAs. This here is the widest selection of beers in the area and suggestions of the above (or other tasty beverages) would be welcome.
  • Since I am now legally allowed to buy alcohol, I'd like to solicit advice. I'm particularly fond of stouts and IPAs.This hereis the widest selection of beers in the area and suggestions of the above (or other tasty beverages) would be welcome.
    120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head. It's mindblowing.
  • 120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head. It's mindblowing.
    Literally and figuratively.
  • 120 wasn't on that list.

Try both the 60 and 90 minute from DFH. They're both very different IPAs. Also, try absolutely everything by the Stone Brewing Company. Their Russian Imperial stout, as I've mentioned countless times, is fantastic. If you're going to try the IPA, make sure you just get the Stone IPA. They also have something called the Ruination IPA, and that one is not for the faint of heart.
  • I'd pick up the Heavy Seas 'Sunken Sampler' or the Heavy Seas Loose Cannon (Hop3 Ale). It's good beer, and it won't cost you 10$ a bottle.
  • 120 wasn't on that list.

Try both the 60 and 90 minute from DFH. They're both very different IPAs. Also, try absolutely everything by the Stone Brewing Company. Their Russian Imperial stout, as I've mentioned countless times, is fantastic. If you're going to try the IPA, make sure you just get the Stone IPA. They also have something called the Ruination IPA, and that one is not for the faint of heart.
    Yeah, Dogfish Head and Stone will be your friends for getting you into stronger and more diverse bears. One company that my brother has put a lot of interest in is the Oskar Blues Company. Look for their incredibly strong IPA called the "Gubna" If you love hoppy-piney flavors, I think this is the perfect beer. It comes in cans and I've had it slightly chilled, but it's incredible.
  • Manly drinks don't taste like pain. They taste like manly things.

Good scotch, for example, tastes like your dad's workshop smells. Good beer tastes like clearing brush, or like chargrilling, or like the wind through an open car window, or like chocolate-covered steak.

I mean, unless it's Arrogant Bastard, which tastes like cutting down a pine tree with a hornet nest in it. That's kinda pain. But it's delicious pain.
  • Opened a bottle of Trappistes Rochefort 8 tonight...

Needless to say, it was quite fantastic.
  • We ate out at an incredible restaurant for my mom's birthday today, and I had the best meal I've ever eaten in my life. Lots of imported cheeses (plus an extra plate, compliments of the chef), orange glazed calamari, and foie gras were the appetizers. Then I had half a lobster, shrimp, and mussels on a bed of fresh-made pasta that had been died black by the vegetables it was cooked with. After that we got desserts for the whole table (also compliments of the chef); creme brulee with hints of lavender and orange, chocolate mousse that practically evaporated in my mouth, and a concoction who's texture was like whipped cream surrounded by cookie crumbs and tasted of coffee. The restaurant is very focused on local food so they take the whole staff to visit the farms of their suppliers, so we know all the chefs and waiters there because they use our goat cheese. After we had all finished the head chef and his wife came and sat with us for a good twenty minutes, enthusiastically pitching ideas for red wine feta cheese and talking about getting my mom into a slow food convention held in Italy. We went home feeling content and, in some cases, pleasantly drunk.

Anyway, this all tangentially relates to beer because I was sampling all of the drinks that the adults had ordered, and my favorite was a bottle of Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA. Suffice to say, I can't wait until I turn 21.
  • Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA
    Wait till you try the 120.
  • I didn't like the 90 when I had it, I thought it was a bit too hoppy.
  • I didn't like the 90 when I had it, I thought it was a bit too hoppy.
    From what I know, people go through that build up of 60, to 90, and even the toughest can have issues with 120. If you want to get into Dogfish Head's other repertoire, try out the Indian Brown Ale or Midas Touch.
  • Oh no, 120 is liquid candy. ^_^ Midas is alright.
  • Yeah, the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is barely even beer any more. It's almost more like a beer liqueur. Distilled IPA.

Their World Wide Stout is similarly ridiculous (20% ABV!), and one of the best drinkable anythings I've ever consumed.
  • I should try mixing the 120 and the WWS. Has it been done? Can it be done? Will the universe implode if I do so?
  • Will the universe implode if I do so?
    I think the universe will just cry as you ruin two awesome beers at the same time.

Back to 90 for a moment, I'm having one for the first time in a while and I think my tolerance for hops has increased significantly.
  • I look forward to October 19th at which point I can sample these fantastic beers you guys keep recommending.
  • edited August 2010
    I think the universe will just cry as you ruin two awesome beers at the same time.
    The 120 tastes like caramel. The WWS tastes like chocolate and coffee. Caramel + chocolate + coffee = win.

EDIT: Think of it like this. Black and tan is delicious. I'm just making an advanced black and tan.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Is it wrong that I can session Ruination IPA? It's just so tasty!
  • edited August 2010
    So, since you guys never shut up about them, I went to Dogfish Head's website and looked to see where they sell beer in Seattle. To my delight, the one place that sells their beer in the whole city is only a 15 minute walk from my apartment! I'm really hoping they have the 120 Minute IPA. If not, they should at least have the 90.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
    Yes, yes it is. That stuff is too much for me.
  • edited August 2010
    Cross post from the things of your day thread - I now posess a bottle of Monty Python's Holy Grail. Most likely, it's just going to taste like black sheep ale, but hey, black sheep ale is pretty tasty.

So, someone made a beer bike. As in, a bike with space for two kegs and a built in reticulation system.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2010
    So, someone made a beer bike. As in, a bike with space for two kegs and a built in reticulation system.
    And a spot for pizza! That bike would make the person who owns it the most popular person at my school.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • So, since you guys never shut up about them, I went to Dogfish Head's website and looked to see where they sell beer in Seattle. To my delight, the one place that sells their beer in the whole city is only a 15 minute walk from my apartment! I'm really hoping they have the 120 Minute IPA. If not, they should at least have the 90.
    Stores all over Seattle sell Dogfish beers, man. The Town & Country Market stores stock 'em. Whole Foods always has some. Bottleworks in Wallingford carries even their most limited-release superbeers, which is no less than you'd expect from Bottleworks.

Anyway, they're only one great brewery among many. People talk about them a lot because they're pretty widely distributed for such creative craft beers, and because they're always trying new, interesting brews.
  • I'm pleased to report that This is a Beer is very fucking tasty.
    Yes, yes it is. That stuff is too much for me.
    I had the last bottle of Ruination tonight with dinner to see if it's really strong and I just couldn't tell before. I think I need a stronger IPA...
  • I think I need a stronger IPA...
    Man, I don't know if they make one. A lot of people on Homebrewtalk mention Victory's Hop Devil. HopSlam, Hopsicle, Hop 15, Hop Wollop, and Hop Stoopid are also exceedingly hoppy beers, according to a bunch of snobs.
  • I think I need a stronger IPA...
    Man, I don't know if they make one. A lot of people on Homebrewtalk mention Victory's Hop Devil. HopSlam, Hopsicle, Hop 15, Hop Wollop, and Hop Stoopid are also exceedingly hoppy beers, according to a bunch of snobs.
    Again, I'm going to pimp Oskar Blue's GUBNA IPA. And I think Terrapin's Hopsecutioner could go on that list too.