This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• I think I need a stronger IPA...
    Man, I don't know if they make one. A lot of people on Homebrewtalk mention Victory's Hop Devil. HopSlam, Hopsicle, Hop 15, Hop Wollop, and Hop Stoopid are also exceedingly hoppy beers, according to a bunch of snobs.
    Again, I'm going to pimp Oskar Blue's GUBNA IPA. And I think Terrapin's Hopsecutioner could go on that list too.
    My palette burns just reading that. BOO HOPS! YEAH ROASTED CHOCOLATE, COFFEE, CARMEL, AND OTHER MALTS!
  • Cross post from the things of your day thread - I now posess a bottle of Monty Python's HolyGrail. Most likely, it's just going to taste like black sheep ale, but hey, black sheep ale is pretty tasty.

So, someone made a beer bike. As in, a bike with space for two kegs and a built in reticulation system.
    I designed one a while ago; I still have concept sketches. The system was build around an old 10-speed frame with a back extension. Two pony kegs and a bar would have ridden in back, along with a locking trunk for hard liquor and glassware. The idea was to build it and use it as a mobile bar at Burning Man. I've put the plan on ice, but given that I'm in college now and summer unemployment is high in my demographic, I might build it when I need a project.
  • I designed one a while ago; I still have concept sketches. The system was build around an old 10-speed frame with a back extension. Two pony kegs and a bar would have ridden in back, along with a locking trunk for hard liquor and glassware. The idea was to build it and use it as a mobile bar at Burning Man. I've put the plan on ice, but given that I'm in college now and summer unemployment is high in my demographic, I might build it when I need a project.
    Can you weld?
  • Stores all over Seattle sell Dogfish beers, man.
    Yeah, I know that now after talking to a friend about it. I was just going by what their website said.
  • Store nearest me didn't have the 120 Minute IPA, but I did get a bottle of 90 Minute, and it was pretty damn good. Probably not quite worth the price... but definitely up there on my list of good IPAs.
  • This is a Beer was received pretty well. It was favorably compared to Sam Adams Summer Ale, which is close to what I was trying to do. A non-beer-drinker tried it and enjoyed it; she said that it wasn't bitter like a lot of beers, and that it wasn't too heavy. A lot of people commented on the heavy citrus nose - you can thank Cascade for that - and the sweet but complex malt character with a touch of bite.
  • Last Friday, I bought a bottle of Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) for a pretty good price. It's probably the most pretentious sounding beer I've had, but the man at the store told me it was really rich and complex.

And it totally was. It was a very complex beer, with hints of plums and apples, with some sweet undertones and great carbonation. It went down smooth and reminded me a lot of like, a nice red wine. But it was some really tasty beer.
  • Gypsy Brewer' Spreads Craft Beer Gospel

I recently heard this today on a NPR podcast. The most interesting tidbit I found was
    Restaurants around the country are hosting an increasing number of "beer dinners." As Megan Krigbaum, an associate editor at Food and Wine put it, "finally people are coming around to this idea that beer has a place on the dining table." This year, Krigbaum edited Food and Wine's list of America's top sommeliers — or wine experts. And Greg Engert, only 28, was on that list — the first person ever, in fact, to be included for beer.
    That's pretty cool. Perhaps I might give beer a try.
  • 200 Year Old Beer Discovered in Shipwreck

Heard from this today, as NPR was covering the world's events, they were talking about how this beer was found in the Baltic Sea, first thought to be champagne, but when a bottle broke on retrieval, they discovered it to be beer. The people defined it as being "Dark, foamy, and yummy."
  • Can you weld?
    I need to learn. I'll probably start with arc, but I learn TIG is the best for working bike frames.
  • I need to learn. I'll probably start with arc, but I learn TIG is the best for working bike frames.
    Learn on an Arc and a MIG first - You'll find your TIG welding much easier if you already have a handle on those two - It's essentially a combination, in skills, I find - You get the feel, eye and hand for working the filler rod right from the Arc, and handling the gas torch from the MIG, which is admittedly a different system, but for some reason, the skill transfers well.
  • One of my favorites, their dubbel is also very good:

• Oh shit yes - Half a carton of Asahi Dry in the fridge, and a bottle of aged Hard Cider from my mate nick, who brewed it himself.
  • Oh motherfuck yeah!

PUNK IS BACK! I just got a four-pack! Woo!

This - Dogfish Head Punkin Ale - is the finest pumpkin beer that exists, bar none. I have heard some say that Southern Tier's Pumking is at least as good if not better, but as much as I respect Southern Tier, I have to disagree. Punk is the ultimate fulfilment of pumpkin potential.
  • edited September 2010
    Oh motherfuck yeah!

PUNK IS BACK!
    Tried some of that last weekend, it was most satisfactory, even if the label's not as cool as Shipyard's pumpkin ale.

EDIT: Also, I think I may have chanced upon my new favorite non-beer adult beverage while getting dinner tonight. There's a Dominican food truck right up the road I go to once a month for terribly unhealthy, delicious food (fried plantains and fried meat usually). Tonight while I was waiting they offered me a Dominican beverage called Mama juana. It's similar to port with rum instead of brandy with herbs and roots and honey mixed in. I suspect may be a fair bet stronger though, I'll have to see if I can buy a jug next time I go there.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • It's getting to be fall, which means I'll be making some Applejack!

I'm very excited.
  • It's getting to be fall, which means I'll be making some Applejack!

I'm very excited.
    I wish I knew somebody that made it, but it's not nearly as southern a beverage as moonshine and the store bought stuff has paled in comparison to the homebrew I've had.
  • edited September 2010
    We have an excellent orchard near campus, so I'm driving out with a friend, getting a few gallons of their finest fresh-squeezed cider, and I'll spend the winter jacking it. It's definitely a more northern thing, which is a shame; apples make great liquor.

Ideally, I'll build a simple pot still over winter break and distill off any trace methanol and fusels, and then bottle it as a vintage. Cap it with the family coat of arms.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • ...apples make great liquor.
    They sure do. I hope to one day go to the UK and partake in some of their ciders.
  • I'm heading out to Brick Store again to try the newest Georgia Micro-brews released this week from the new brewery Wild Heaven.
  • I'm heading out to Brick Store again to try the newest Georgia Micro-brews released this week from the new breweryWild Heaven.
    Beer Advocate says they're both great. I'd like to try the brown ale myself; I'm in the mood for a good, darker, roastier beer, now that the weather is cooling off.
  • edited September 2010
    I had the Punkin Ale last week for the first time, it was great. From what my brother told me, Punkin Ale becomes really amazing once you let it age for a few months when you get it in the bottles. I had it from a Keg for the first time, and the people topped it with the extra brown sugar, clove, etc. Still, a lovely beer.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Oh shit!
    Randall the Enamel Animal is back and in a big way!
  • Randall the Enamel Animalis back and in a big way!
    Hm, so it's a small hopback. That sounds kinda neat, actually. I don't know that I need to hop my dry-hopped IPA's any more, but I guess it's nice to have.
    Holy fucking bourbon Batman.

Wyatt got me a bomber of this as a birthday present. It's "only" 9% ABV, but it hits with a much greater booze swagger than that. It's got the sweet, rich, smooth background of a good pumpkin ale, except the spices are very subdued, just barely there. Towering over those flavors is goddamn bourbon, smooth, sweet, and a little fiery. There's a hint of vanilla in there somewhere too. The pumpkin sweetness lingers long after everything else is done. The flavors definitely mingle better as it warms up; I would serve this at 60-ish degrees or so.
  • Holy fucking bourbon Batman.
    Glad to hear it :)
  • Dogtober is a bit too sweet.
  • Rogue's John John Hazelnut is a pretty damn tasty beer.
  • Check it out if you want some inspiration for your labels:
    Vintage Beer Bottles
    Vintage Beer Cans
    Vintage Soda Labels