This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• To clarify the previous story, the landlord didn't brew the beer, he just sold it, and it was a dopplebock on the holidays. My father had two beers before he was done.
  • That Double Bastard is a sneaky mother fucker. I was fine for almost two hours and then it came up behind me and sucker punched me.
  • Not a huge fan of the Bells Double Cream stout. Would like a bit more cream flavor I think.
  • Rogue's Double Dead Guy is an assault on the senses. It comes on like a Lamborghini and hits like a Sherman tank. It's the only beer I've met thus far that might be too much for me, and I am noted for my ability to guzzle Dogfish Head's 15%+ offerings.
  • It's the only beer I've met thus far that might be too much for me
    Did you try Black Hole yet?
  • It's the only beer I've met thus far that might be too much for me
    Or the Double Bastard?
  • Did you try Black Hole yet?
    Not yet. We'll see.
  • Or the Double Bastard?
    Double Bastard is quite easily consumed.
  • Will beer be ok if it was frozen by accident and it thaws out slowly?
  • Will beer be ok if it was frozen by accident and it thaws out slowly?
    The taste may be slightly affected, but it should be alright.
  • edited December 2010
    http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/12/30/is-moderate-drinking-really-good-for-the-heart/
    Who here gives a fiddler's fuck, Scott?

Exactly one person. He's behind your keyboard.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/12/30/is-moderate-drinking-really-good-for-the-heart/
    From his "About" page:
    I’m a naturally-oriented medical doctor, author and speaker. My work is dedicated to providing honest and trustworthy holistic health advice that can be used to combat and prevent illness, overcome everyday ailments, enhance energy and bring a greater sense of wellbeing.
    I'm not saying that he's a dirty fucking hippie, but this makes me question his cleanliness and non-hippiness.
  • Everyone needs Mikkeller Black Hole Bourbon in their lives. It places in my top three. Holy fuck.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm not saying that he's a dirty fucking hippie, but this makes me question his cleanliness and non-hippiness.
    Yeah, this guy is a fucking woo-slinger. I remember hearing of him during the first 10:23 campaign - he was speaking out for homeopathy, swearing up and down it was the real deal, it really works, and desperately pleading people not to take large amounts of homeopathic medicine, because they would die. Further, he was one of the people who fought having it taken off the NHS, and has given his support to organisations who are trying to get it back on the NHS. Also, I've heard he's a supporter of Andrew Wakefield, and doesn't think that he should have been struck from the register, nor his paper retracted.

To quote the great philosopher and sage, Billy Connelly, "What a fucking idiot.". I wouldn't trust him to take my temperature, let alone go to him for any medical advice.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I can honestly say I never thought I 'd see the day where Scott Rubin quoted a woo-woo guru.
  • I can honestly say I never thought I 'd see the day where Scott Rubin quoted a woo-woo guru.
  • While I was over my friend's house for New Year's I noticed he was partaking of Monty Python's Holy Grail beer.

http://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/beers/holy_grail_bottled_beer/?/beers/BottledBeers/HolyGrail.aspx

I laughed.
    Ah, well shit. Let that be a lesson that if you let your guard down even a little bit, the woo can sneak in. I saw one reasonable-sounding thing in the article, which is that in studies comparing drinkers to non-drinkers most of the non-drinkers were former alcoholics as opposed to tea-totalers. Always be on the lookout for the woo.
  • edited January 2011
    Ah, well shit. Let that be a lesson that if you let your guard down even a little bit, the woo can sneak in. I saw one reasonable-sounding thing in the article, which is that in studies comparing drinkers to non-drinkers most of the non-drinkers were former alcoholics as opposed to tea-totalers. Always be on the lookout for the woo.
    S'alright man, I can't Speak for WUB, but I suspect he'd feel the same on the issue - I don't hold it against you, shit happens, it's good. Bill Nye is a spokesman for a Woo Ionised water spraybottle sorta thing. Everyone gets caught out from time to time. You had the Cahones to admit it, so all in all, Respect +3.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited January 2011
    You suspect correctly. Respect +3 on my end, as well.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Mentioned this the other night, the southern tier creme brûlée stout. It's caramelized sugar in beer form, sweet with heavy vanilla, touches of dark chocolate and coffee, so best in small quantities with something bittersweet, e. g. Dark chocolate espresso brownies or more beer...
  • A friend thought a "funny" secret santa gift would be a six pack of Bud Light.

I almost smashed the whole thing over his head. D:
  • Giving Bud Light to a beer geek is the equivalent of icing a bro.
  • Sad fact about me: I actually like alco-pop. I like beer, but I like Mike's Hard or Ice too.

Or some god-damned plum wine. God is that shit tasty.
  • Everyone needs Mikkeller Black Hole Bourbon in their lives. It places in my top three. Holy fuck.
    Seriously?

Maybe the bourbon aging makes it palatable, but the regular Black Hole was just too goddamn much. It's even tougher than World Wide Stout.
    Seriously?

Maybe the bourbon aging makes it palatable, but the regular Black Hole was just too goddamn much. It's even tougher than World Wide Stout.
    Seriously. It's a mean, mean drink, but it's extremely flavorful. Starts smooth, then punches the back of your throat with bourbon flavor. I have some notes I can post later.

I should try the Rum and Scotch Black Holes, as well as the standard one to compare.
  • Seriously. It's a mean, mean drink, but it's extremely flavorful. Starts smooth, then punches the back of your throat with bourbon flavor. I have some notes I can post later.

I should try the Rum and Scotch Black Holes, as well as the standard one to compare.
    Yeah, I just think it was too much. I mean, even Black isn't that intense.

It's strange, actually. I just tried his From...To, and it was quite aggressive as well. I would say it was tasty, and it warmed nicely, but it was more aggressive than I expected. Mikkeller seems to be headed in a very aggressive direction with his brews. I'd like to see just a touch more restraint.
  • I had some really nice beers over New Years. One beer that I bought, was really itching to try, was SkullSplitter Orkney Ale. I've been in the mood for beers with epic names and that's going to be one of my Top 5 favorite beers from now on. It's a lovely Scotch Ale with a sweet taste, low carbonation and many levels of flavor. Love it.

Also tried Crazy Bastard, the newest from Stone. It has a strong, roasted malt flavor. Good quality, good price. The 4-Pack of Het Kapittel is great too, their Blond is particularly refreshing and strong for a blonde ale. Pader is the weakest imo, they are all great. And Magic Hat Winter Seasonal is alright, but I'm not too big into lagers.