This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• I like it.Beer Advocate was not a fan.
    Those people are stupid. Wild Blue is super tasty and it will get you drunk. I'm pretty drunk right now.
  • it will get you drunk.
    Alcohol does not a good beer make, young padawan.

Though, I like Wild Blue. Not as much as I like Magic Hat Howl though. Damn fine brew. Like drinking beer steeped with bacon.
  • Wooo! Georgia is just starting to officially sell it's first growlers.
  • Growlers are the greatest invention ever.
  • I like it.Beer Advocate was not a fan.
    That's the one we all liked and Pete hated?
  • That's the one we all liked and Pete hated?
    That's the one. Tasted like a fucking blueberry soda with some booze. Also, way too sweet.
  • Yeah, I think I'll agree with the "not a beer" statement. But I liked it.
  • Aside from the sweet blueberry taste, it's a pretty bleh beer. Like, I couldn't let that thing sit at all, I had to drink it and halfway through, all that blueberry goodness is gone.
  • I'm building a small beer cellar in my parent's basement over my month-long break. Tucking it under a staircase.
    Keep it clean.
    It might not go under a staircase, but I've always been a fan of cellars with nice dusty bottles.
    Once it's bottled, yeah sure you don't have to worry about shit. But you gotta keep anything you use to make the beer sanitized to an inch of its life. If you don't you can throw off the flavor and/or risk getting something nasty.
  • Once it's bottled, yeah sure you don't have to worry about shit. But you gotta keep anything you use to make the beer sanitized to an inch of its life. If you don't you can throw off the flavor and/or risk getting something nasty.
    It's a storage cellar, I don't think he's brewing anything underneath the stairs...
  • Once it's bottled, yeah sure you don't have to worry about shit. But you gotta keep anything you use to make the beer sanitized to an inch of its life. If you don't you can throw off the flavor and/or risk getting something nasty.
    It's a storage cellar, I don't think he's brewing anything underneath the stairs...
    Let's hope not.
  • I'm building a small beer cellar in my parent's basement over my month-long break. Tucking it under a staircase.
    Keep it clean.
    It might not go under a staircase, but I've always been a fan of cellars with nice dusty bottles.
    Once it's bottled, yeah sure you don't have to worry about shit. But you gotta keep anything you use to make the beer sanitized to an inch of its life. If you don't you can throw off the flavor and/or risk getting something nasty.
    I'm a biologist. I know all about sterile technique and its applications to fermentation.
  • So...I had my first run in with home fermentation yesterday. An old glass jar of mandarin oranges we forgot about exploded quite violently last night in the refrigerator.
  • Table Hopping
    Brown’s Brewing in Troy later this week will release its special English-style holiday brew, called Dunder & Blixem Strong Ale. Described as mahogany red in color with a hoppy and malty character and subtle holiday spice notes, the ale has a 7.5 percent ABV.

The beer will be unveiled beginning at 5:30 p.m. Thursday (12/16) at Brown’s with a reading of “A Visit from Saint Nicholas/’Twas the Night Before Christmas,” the Clement Clark Moore poem that first appeared in the Troy Sentinel on Dec. 23, 1823. The tale originally featured reindeer named Dunder and Blixem (Dutch for Thunder and Lightning), but in later years the spellings became Donner and Blitzen.

Brown’s is located at 417 River St.
    @Pete: We need drink this.
  • So...I had my first run in with home fermentation yesterday. An old glass jar of mandarin oranges we forgot about exploded quite violently last night in the refrigerator.
    Now imagine that if you add too much sugar to the final product for carbonation pourposes, except with 20-30 bottles quite possibly in a place you'll appreciate cleaning less than your refrigerator.
    Terrapin is a Georgia brewery which makes some very fine brews. I recently picked up their limited release Moo-hoo Chocolate Milk Stout.

It's quite fantastic, coffee and dark chocolate are very aromatic however more subdued in taste, which is a good thing in my opinion. It starts smooth and creamy with subtle carbonation to provide texture followed by a milk chocolate flavor. Having previous chocolate stouts, I think Terrapin handled this wonderfully, not getting carried away in the process. It's very drinkable and if you get a chance to try it, definitely pick it up.
  • edited December 2010
    Today's Accquisitions, to last until Christmas:

Mikkeller Bourbon Barrel-Aged Black Hole
    Nøgne Ø Peculiar Yule
    Delirium Noël
    Founder's Porter
    Bell's Java Stout

Awwww Yeah. All new beers to me. Can't wait.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Mikkeller Bourbon Barrel-Aged Black Hole
    Have you had Black Hole before? I'm going to warn you, I found it unpleasantly intense. It's maybe the first Mikkeller beer that I had where I wound up thinking "Yeah, that was too much."

And yes, I've had Black. I think this kicks you in the face harder than that.
    Founder's Porter
    I had an opportunity to try their Kentucky Breakfast Stout a while back. That was a tasty fucking beer.
  • Have you had Black Hole before? I'm going to warn you, I found it unpleasantly intense. It's maybe the first Mikkeller beer that I had where I wound up thinking "Yeah, that was too much."
    No, I haven't. I like intense flavors, though, so we'll see. Should it be had at around room temp, or chilled?
  • No, I haven't. I like intense flavors, though, so we'll see. Should it be had at around room temp, or chilled?
    I'd start it cool and then taste it as it progressively warms up. It'll take you a while to get through it.
  • It's the only beer I've witnessed Pete being defeated by. There was a point where he didn't want it anymore, but he soldiered on through the torment.
  • All kinds of new Southern Tier at the store right now. Also, it is Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger season and I wish I had the cash to buy a whole case and sit on it for a year or so.

And of course Deschutes The Abyss is out again and OH GOODNESS.
  • It's the only beer I've witnessed Pete being defeated by. There was a point where he didn't want it anymore, but he soldiered on through the torment.
    It is settled. I must conquer this beer.
  • It is settled. I must conquer this beer.
    And that's how it began that fateful weekend in late summer...
  • It is settled. I must conquer this beer.
    Good luck. We're all counting on you.
  • Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.
  • River Horse Double Wit is a pretty good beer, by the way. Thought I'd let everyone know. Very nice and spicy, without too much of that nitrogen taste that some wits have. Also, it's boozy.
  • I'm eagerly awaiting Stone's Double Bastard Ale that I'll be using the eclipse as an excuse to drink.
  • Now, this isn't strictly beer, but I'm drinking some Fox Barrel Hard Cider right now and, while the taste is not immediately to my usual pallet of sweet drinks, I sorta like it. It seems to taste sweeter as I drink it, but I'm not fond of the smell.

Anyone know of a sweet hard cider or is sweetness the realm of non alcoholic cider?

Also, if there exists any sweet beers, I'd like to try those.