This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beer Beer!

Comments

• edited June 2012
    There is all this talk of bandaids. What does that even mean?
    Brettanomyces ferments free lactose and other sugars into some phenols that taste like fresh band-aids smell.

NOTE: Brett isn't necessarily bad, though. You can also run a controlled side-fermentation with Brett to get a 4-ethylguaiacol, which imparts a smoked bacon and clove flavor to a wine or beer. The exact engineering of a controlled Brett fermentation is somewhat out of my mycological depth, though.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • There is all this talk of bandaids. What does that even mean?
    Would you drink a bandaid?
  • There is all this talk of bandaids. What does that even mean?
    Brettanomyces ferments free lactose and other sugars into some phenols that taste like fresh band-aids smell.

NOTE: Brett isn't necessarily bad, though. You can also run a controlled side-fermentation with Brett to get a 4-ethylguaiacol, which imparts a smoked bacon and clove flavor to a wine or beer. The exact engineering of a controlled Brett fermentation is somewhat out of my mycological depth, though.

That's true, but my problem wasn't related to brett.

Sometimes, your water can be treated with stable chlorine compounds called chloramides. You can also sometimes have these leech into the water through certain plastics.

Chloramides, unlike free chlorine, are not drive off during a boil. They are odorless and tasteless...until the yeast start playing.

The yeast sometimes produce phenols - oily and spicy flavors. Those phenols can interact with the stable chloramides to produce chlorophenol - that's the stuff in chloroseptic spray. It also has a decided plasticy taste, causing people to associate it with bandaids.

• I was never really sure I'd call it a bandaids taste, but it was not tasty.
  • OH GOD IT'S STARTING TO LOOK LIKE BEER

In other news, I found a really nice brewing supply shop just up the road! Gonna pick up some bottles and maybe some other gear (like a hydrometer testing tube) this weekend.
  • 10 fingers, 10 toes, normal birthweight, 8/10 on the Apgar test. Congratulations! It's a pale ale!
  • zomg bottling day!
    Tools of the trade, that carboy is going to be a bitch to clean.

Vinator + Starsan = win

Autosiphon after priming.

Glorious beer in the hydrometer test tube.

Finished bottles.
  • edited June 2012
    RE: Carboy cleaning:

This is why I primarily use buckets. No, you can't see the fermentation, but holy shit are they way easier to clean.

EDIT: Also, ZOMG BEER!!!111!1!one
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited June 2012
    Oxiclean Free = Problem solved.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Things I learned about brewing this weekend:

-Brewing beer is hard work.
    -Buying beer is super easy.
  • edited June 2012
    Things I learned about brewing this weekend:

-Brewing beer is hard work.
    -Buying beer is super easy.
    I saw Nick Offerman (actor who plays Ron "Duke Silver" Swanson) live last night. He offered Ten Tips for Prosperity.

Offerman's Fifth Tip for Prosperity: "Have a Hobby or Discipline."

Sure, you can buy beer, or restaurant-quality food, or guitars, or potted plants, but learning how to make those things is infinitely more satisfying. And if Mr. Offerman isn't lying, it, "gets you money and gets you laid."

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited June 2012
    Congrats to Andrew on your first brewing of beer!

In Texas, I got to take advantage of a few of their Live Oak beers. They are only available by draft, but were of extraordinary quality. If I had to rate them, it would be their Hefweizen > Schwarzbier > Big Bark Lager > Pilz. Easily the best Hefeweizen I ever had, creamy, light-bodied, but quite smooth.

My stormtrooper loves Live Oak Big Bark!

The schwarzbier was quite delicious, really nice dark, roasted flavor but light. It'd be wonderful for a beer float. The Big Bark was sweet and malty, recommended. The Pilz was rather good for a pilsner, but still far too grainy/grassy.

Other beers I had were...

Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale = BEST SAISON EVER. Oh my goodness, this was wonderful. Citrusy with bubblegum undertones and a wonderful finish from the carbonation.

Shiner BlackLager = Good sweet/bitter balance, but a bit lacking of a true flavor.

Moose Drool Brown Ale = Simple malted, toasted flavor. Rather dry and bready in some ways.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • Shiner overall makes kinda meh beer, the black is some of their better stuff.
    Did you get to try any (512) or Saint Arnolds? They both make pretty good beer. The (512) Pecan Porter is one of the best porters I've had.
  • Shiner overall makes kinda meh beer, the black is some of their better stuff.
    Did you get to try any (512) or Saint Arnolds? They both make pretty good beer. The (512) Pecan Porter is one of the best porters I've had.
    I didn't get to try any 512, but I also got to try a really good beer on draft called Fireman's #4. The most drinkable beer I had, very crisp and carbonated, with a good hint of pale hops and citrus.
  • Is that a frosted glass? RAAAGE
  • Double post, but...

Pete, do you ever make bread out of your spent grain? Thinking of planning for it next batch I do.
  • Tripel post

Beautiful and informative.
  • They should really make a beer Woot.
  • Bought a wort chiller and a Bavarian Hefe kit. Much excite.
  • Double post, but...

Pete, do you ever make bread out of your spent grain? Thinking of planning for it next batch I do.
    I have, yes. I sometimes freeze a couple of gallon ziplocs of the stuff for that purpose. Personally, I prefer to make Wheat-Thins out of it.

My advice for spent grain bread:

1. Chop the grain in a food processor.
    2. Add additional liquid only when needed. The grain usually has enough retained moisture.
    3. Weigh your ingredients. Use an equal mass of bread flour and spent grain.
    4. Add some vital wheat gluten. Spent grain has a low gluten content.
    5. Bake it a bit longer than usual. 2 hours at 350 is good. You want to really caramelize that crust.

• Double post, but...

I brew with my coworkers about once a month. The last one we started was a Saison. Its mash produced some pretty tasty grains, which I ate with Sriracha.
  • ikimashou!

I think there was a great vegetable-based dessert place out that way, as well, but I may be mixing it up..

Yay! First bottle. It was pretty good, although there were some very subtle off flavors. It seemed super malty and overly sweet for a pale ale and I think I may have added to much priming sugar. Probably going to wait a couple more weeks to try another bottle.
  • Extract kit? Extracts tend to be sweeter, as they're less fermentable pound-for-pound.
  • Yes. I just purchased another extract kit for a Hefeweizen, but I think after that I'm going to start learning a 3 gallon BIAB all grain technique. That or go partial mash.
  • BIAB is super easy. I taught a BIAB class in 3 hours at an SCA event. It's cheap, and if you do multiple sparges, you can get 5 gallons easily. Of course, I also recommend an outdoor propane burner for 5 gallon full-boil batches - it takes a while on most stovetops.
  • Yeah, I'd like to go that route. But it's a tad difficult in an apartment complex. We do have a grassy common area, but we are not allowed to store any sort of combustible materials (propane) in our apt.
  • You know you're in for a good time when most of the beers on tap are at least 10%.