This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Homebrewtalk loves their habenero beers. That should be a good starting point. I think 2 peppers would give 5 gallons a nice detectable heat.

Obviously, you should do a 2.5 gallon batch.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Habeneros are rated at 100,000 – 350,000 scovilles. A ghost pepper is rated between 330,000–1,032,310.
  • Habeneros are rated at 100,000 – 350,000 scovilles. A ghost pepper is rated between 330,000–1,032,310.
    I imagine adding an extremely hot pepper to a homebrew is similar to add a hot pepper to a tropical stew. They add the whole pepper during the simmer process to get more of the flavor properties from the skin then the seeds. That's why Habanero is associated with many sweet notes.
  • edited August 2013
    Habeneros are rated at 100,000 – 350,000 scovilles. A ghost pepper is rated between 330,000–1,032,310.
    Yeah, but you can use that information to inform your pepper/gallon ratio. Seems like it's roughly 3x hotter on average than a habanero.

EDIT: Simmering is probably good, or maybe flameout. Shouldn't matter, though - you get a good extraction in alcohol anyway.

And of course, don't de-seed or de-membrane the things. That'd be weaksauce. This should be carbonated lava with some citrusy hop notes.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'm thinking a really big barelywine or something super malty.
  • I've learned two things recently:

1) Making lacto-fermented vegetables at home is stupidly easy. Get a goddamn Mason jar with a lid. Fill it with boiling water and let it sit. Shred some vegetables. Dump water. Layer of vegetables, sprinkle some salt, and repeat. Press down a lot. Maybe cover the top in whey or brine. Make sure the vegetables are packed really tightly, up to about the shoulder of the jar. Liquid should be up in the neck. Let them sit at room temperature for a week, then stick them in the fridge.

2) Pickled turnips are FUCKING AWESOME.
  • Home sick today. We were talking about Cream of Wheat. I made some to cure my illness.

Scott's Healing Potion Cream of Wheat

Butter
    Raisins
    Water
    Cream of Wheat (RED BOX ONLY)
    Milk
    Sugar (Brown for hardcore folks)

Put raisins and some butter in the bowl you are going to eat out of. Make the Cream of Wheat according to box instructions. Pour Cream of Wheat onto butter/raisins and stir. Stir in some milk to reduce thickness to desired level. Add sugar.
  • A wild BREAD has appeared!
  • RISE AGAIN COOKING THREAD!

Here is a couple things I've cooked lately

Fried chicken

Let's make Jambalaya!
    Brown up some andouille sausage and chicken thighs.
    Fry up an onion in the same pot with the remaining fat and oil. Make sure to scrape up all the delicious bits stuck on the bottom of the pot.

Add copped bell pepper and several celery stalks. Cook them until they soften really well.

Add the meat back in and your rice. Make sure you toast up the rice well, but don't go overboard.

Tie up several sprigs of thyme and throw them in with a couple bay leaves, several dashes of cayenne, fresh ground pepper, and salt.

Pour in chicken stock until it barely covers the top of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and then put into the oven for 45 minutes. When it's done, it should look like something like this.
  • edited October 2013

Pre-assembly.

I deal with spicy food very poorly, so I chose not to add anything too spicy. The end result was something that lacked punch. Next time, I'll definitely invest in at least a little something.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • That plate is pretty shibe.
  • image Homemade Egg Nog. I tried a few different recipes and finally found one I was happy with here. The only adjustments I made was cutting the nutmeg by half.
  • So I got hated on for never having eaten macaroni and cheese a few weeks or so ago.

So I made some -

I think I put too much brandy in my desert but it tasted very nice.

• I got that book that Andrew likes and finally found fresh yeast in the grocery store. Tomorrow, baking actual bread with hands and not some machine that does all the work for you.
  • No knead bread is super easy.
  • Which book?
  • Oh nice! He's also got some good you tubes which so his process.
  • Andrew said:

Oh nice! He's also got some good you tubes which so his process.

Yeah, the DVD was on YouTube, so I didn't even need the disc.

The breads came out nice. Taste a little bit like pizza crust, but that might be because of remnants on my pizza stone.

When I first mixed the ingredients the dough was not nearly as wet and gooey as it was in the video. Did I not put in enough water? I measured it with a digital scale! I trusted the measurements and pressed on without adding more water.

Then after I let the dough rest for an hour, it did not rise nearly as much as it did in the video. Oh noes!

Everything rose just fine during baking and tastes good. I wonder if maybe I should have let the yeast get to room temperature after being in the fridge.
  • Did you try to activate your yeast?
  • Wyatt said:

Did you try to activate your yeast?

It was fresh yeast, so it should already be activated. He said to just crumble it into the flour.
  • Going to make some rolls today. Oven is preheating. Things I have learned:

1) You put the yeast into the flour, then crumble it. I was just crumbling the yeast on its own, which is why it was all like clay.

2) Not just the yeast was cold, but also the water. I'm going to let both get to room temperature first.

3) In the video he is making a recipe that is double that of what the book says to make. Of course his dough is way bigger, it's twice as much!

4) I have to stretch the dough more than I did the last time. Pull it higher up off the counter.

5) My scale only measures to .05 ounces, which is what this book uses for the measurements. I wish I had the European edition of the book that measures in grams.
  • I'm looking for any information for using a dutch oven as a oven. Not in an oven, like placing it on a stove to use instead of an oven. The apartment I'm applying for has no oven.
  • I'm looking for any information for using a dutch oven as a oven. Not in an oven, like placing it on a stove to use instead of an oven. The apartment I'm applying for has no oven.

Why are you looking at an apartment with no oven?
    Yes you can use it on the stove top. You may want a crock pot as well.
  • You can use it on a stove top, but it will not replicate the same heat distribution as an actual oven.
  • Wyatt said:

I'm looking for any information for using a dutch oven as a oven. Not in an oven, like placing it on a stove to use instead of an oven. The apartment I'm applying for has no oven.

Why do you think?
  • Wyatt said:

I'm looking for any information for using a dutch oven as a oven. Not in an oven, like placing it on a stove to use instead of an oven. The apartment I'm applying for has no oven.

Why do you think?
    An oven killed his parents.
  • Wyatt said:

Why do you think?
    I suspect it's because a dutch oven works like a stove oven because you cover the top with coals when using it properly, which isn't something you can really do on a stovetop. It'll just heat much like a regular pan.

• DESE ROLLS!!!
  • Post pictures you fool.