This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• I don't understand why people make pancakes with Bisquik (other fake pancake brands are available), and then use fake syrup to go with it when it takes 15 minutes tops to make real pancakes.
    #1 reason I do it is because then I don't have to buy buttermilk. They only sell buttermilk by the quart. That shit smells nasty. I only need a bit to make pancakes. I don't make pancakes often enough to use all that buttermilk so it all goes bad.
  • Chris used regular milk.
  • Yeah, normal milk works fine.
  • I don't understand why people make pancakes with Bisquik (other fake pancake brands are available), and then use fake syrup to go with it when it takes 15 minutes tops to make real pancakes.
    #1 reason I do it is because then I don't have to buy buttermilk. They only sell buttermilk by the quart. That shit smells nasty. I only need a bit to make pancakes. I don't make pancakes often enough to use all that buttermilk so it all goes bad.
    http://sacofoods.com/products/view/cultured-buttermilk
    http://sacofoods.com/products/view/cultured-buttermilk
    Fuck, I've been duped this whole time.
  • Trust me, once you've got this stuff, you'll put it in everything. Pancakes? Throw some Saco in there. Biscuits? You bet. Muffins? Fuck yes. Cornbread? Hell yeah.

I've used it in salami processing to add a nice tang to the product.

Add it to the dry ingredients, and increase the liquid according to the package instructions. Make sure it's well-sifted. And keep the canister in the fridge, or in an airtight container in the pantry - it's like brown sugar in that it'll turn into a rock when exposed to too much moisture.
  • Now I just have to find some.
  • http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=saco cultured buttermilk powder&sprefix=saco+cultu,aps,129&rh=i:aps,k:saco cultured buttermilk powder
    I only didn't think of Amazon because it is perishable.
    It's a shelf-stable powder. It's like nonfat dry milk. You do keep NFDM around, right? So useful for baking. Also for salami making.

• I do not have NFDM. I live next to a grocery, so I go down and get milk if I don't have any.

My dinner/lunch for the past few days. Baked potatoes are cheap and easy to make; the only question is what to stuff them with.
  • edited April 2013
    I made this crispy salmon. Just the salmon, though. My sides were fired veggies and rice.
    Post edited by George Patches on

Lunch!
  • Roast chicken with pan roasted sweet-potatoes and arugula salad served with lemon jus.
  • Gonna try Henton Blumenthal's scrambled eggs and compare them with Ramsay's.
  • I will also try that, but I don't have a bowl I can put in a pot of boiling water.
  • This is basically how you make custard. Alton Brown also recommends scrambling your eggs in a double boiler. Ramsay's scrambling technique (on and off the heat) accomplishes effectively the same thing - though the double boiler is more reliable.

The caramelized butter and sherry vinegar are nice touches, though.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm also trying to master the French omelette by way of Jacques Pepin. It's difficult though.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited June 2013
    I should make some damn custard. Vanilla. With berries. And rosemary.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Jacque Pepin stole that pan lift from Julia Child.

• edited June 2013
    It's mostly just a style of french cooking, which Julia adopted for her show. I don't think it's really an issues of "stealing it from Julia". But Jacques and Julia were great friends regardless.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I know that. It was a silly. Jacques is the man.
  • Trying this bread recipe tomorrow.
  • What's the deal with flour? I have recently been hearing that I should not be using basic white flour when I bake because it is either bad, less good, or can cause problems for some people.

I like making things that use flour as the main ingredient (bread, pasta, sweets, etc) What should I be using instead and what will the impact be on my food?
    Did he say that stone he was rolling the dough on was HOT? How the hell can you get something like that in your house.
    Did he say that stone he was rolling the dough on was HOT? How the hell can you get something like that in your house.
    Just warm up a pizza stone or something, dude.

Just warm up a pizza stone or something, dude.

I have one of those. I thought maybe his stone was a special stove that was being constantly heated.

• edited June 2013
    Trying this bread recipe tomorrow.
    It's just a stone slab that you heat up in your oven. The point being that normal houshold ovens are not very good at keeping temperatures high when you add a large quantity of room temperature food (bread, pizza) into the oven. The stone slab helps keep the oven hot right from the start which is critical for forming a proper crust.

There are certain models of ovens that have a "self cleaning cycle" which operates at very high temperatures and some people hack these to work as bread/pizza ovens.

EDIT: partially ninja'd
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Yes, I have a pizza stone in my oven. I was talking about the stone he was rolling the dough on on his counter.