This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Real Life Cooking Mama: Share Your Cooking Projects!

Comments

• Daikun said:

Looking over the various pictures of omlettes posted here (and elsewhere) it got me wondering, am I making them wrong? Whenever I make omlettes I try to get a little bit of browning on it for color and flavor, yet as I look I see omletes as a clean pale yellow. So I was wondering, am I doing it wrong, or is simply a matter of preference?

The eggs tend to cook a little while after you take them off the pan. It's usually recommended to take the eggs off before they're fully done. That way, they're less solid and more easily foldable.
    Alternatively cook at a low temperature on the smallest gas burner.
  • I was going to post this yesterday, but I had to rush out to my uncle's place for Thanksgiving dinner.

This was my Thanksgiving breakfast: egg and sausage casserole. We make it every year during special holidays and it's delicious.
  • This isn't mine, but I'm going to copy it very soon.

This person make chocolate chip cookies. Then they took some of the uncooked dough and sandwiched it between the baked cookies. Perhaps this could even be frozen in the summer. Also possibilities for dipping in whipped cream, milk, etc. Could also drizzle in caramel, or some other glaze, and so on.
  • some of the uncooked dough
    This is my disapproving face.
  • some of the uncooked dough
    This is my disapproving face.All the salmonella is killed by the power of deliciousness.
  • Seems like an unnecessary risk when the vastly superior ice cream cookie sandwich already exists.
  • Just make a separate eggless cookie dough.
  • Or use pasteurized shell eggs.

But actually, the Tollhouse cookie dough outbreak was O157:H7, and it was linked to the flour, not the eggs (as you would normally expect).

So it's actually a bad idea on multiple levels.

#professionalbuzzkill
  • Or use pasteurized shell eggs.

But actually, the Tollhouse cookie dough outbreak was O157:H7, and it was linked to the flour, not the eggs (as you would normally expect).

So it's actually a bad idea on multiple levels.

#professionalbuzzkill

I don't buy pre-made cookie dough. If there's bad news, it's going to be from New York eggs or King Arthur flour. I doubt the Domino sugar or Breakstone's butter will be a problem.
  • edited December 2014
    Well, except, see, we don't routinely assay flour for pathogens. Nobody does, and there's no requirement to do so. You don't eat raw flour, so we don't bother.

So actually, you'd never know there was a problem until it made you sick. King Arthur could very well be problematic. And there would only be a requirement in place after enough people got sick and we pushed through industry blowback. Probably take around 10 years of pushing after a demonstrable issue to get meaningful change through, and industry would keep trying to kill it after the fact.

The Jack in the Box outbreak from the early 90's that resulted in a revamp of beef safety standards? Industry and academia had known about the problem for about 8 years, but didn't do anything because nobody had died yet.

As for eggs, something like 1/10,000 eggs is contaminated with Salmonella. This is considered normal and acceptable. That's why you cook them.

Don't eat raw cookie dough.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Well, except, see, we don't routinely assay flour for pathogens. Nobody does, and there's no requirement to do so. You don't eat raw flour, so we don't bother.

So actually, you'd never know there was a problem until it made you sick. King Arthur could very well be problematic. And there would only be a requirement in place after enough people got sick and we pushed through industry blowback. Probably take around 10 years of pushing after a demonstrable issue to get meaningful change through, and industry would keep trying to kill it after the fact.

The Jack in the Box outbreak from the early 90's that resulted in a revamp of beef safety standards? Industry and academia had known about the problem for about 8 years, but didn't do anything because nobody had died yet.

As for eggs, something like 1/10,000 eggs is contaminated with Salmonella. This is considered normal and acceptable. That's why you cook them.

You can't stop me.

But I didn't eat the very delicious sprouts in the bibimbap I had last night, so thanks for that.
  • You should totally put sprouts in your raw cookie dough. The badness cancels out. It's science and shit.
  • Don't forget to use raw milk when you're making the dough, gives it that little extra kick of flavor.
  • Churba said:

Don't forget to use raw milk when you're making the dough, gives it that little extra kick of flavor.

That would have been a slightly funny thing to say if cookie dough contained milk.
  • I never understood the appeal for raw cookie dough. It's like eating unprocessed sugary mush. And I know people who would eat Otis Spunkmeyer dough straight from the freezer. Don't you like the crisp, golden brown edges or caramelized sugars or gooey chocolate?
  • Nukerjsr said:

I never understood the appeal for raw cookie dough. It's like eating unprocessed sugary mush. And I know people who would eat Otis Spunkmeyer dough straight from the freezer. Don't you like the crisp, golden brown edges or caramelized sugars or gooey chocolate?

Not at all times. If it's a fuck hot December day (SoCal, deal with it) and you have to make cookies for a family event, sometimes dat cold dough is amazing.
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Don't forget to use raw milk when you're making the dough, gives it that little extra kick of flavor.

That would have been a slightly funny thing to say if cookie dough contained milk.
    Raw butter is a thing.

A fucking stupid thing, but a thing nonetheless.

• Apreche said:

Churba said:

Raw butter is a thing.

A fucking stupid thing, but a thing nonetheless.

Fuck that nonsense.
  • Apreche said:

You can't stop me.
  • edited December 2014
    Apreche said:

You can't stop me.

Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • Dromaro said:

Nukerjsr said:

I never understood the appeal for raw cookie dough. It's like eating unprocessed sugary mush. And I know people who would eat Otis Spunkmeyer dough straight from the freezer. Don't you like the crisp, golden brown edges or caramelized sugars or gooey chocolate?

Not at all times. If it's a fuck hot December day (SoCal, deal with it) and you have to make cookies for a family event, sometimes dat cold dough is amazing.

I guess I've never been in the situation, over here when it gets overly hot we just drink more water or have ice-cream / frozen yoghurt.
    Apreche said:

You can't stop me.

The song probably deserves to be in the Fuck the Police thread but when reading this I remembered the chorus. We just need a gif of Scott eating now.
  • edited December 2014
    sK0pe said:

I guess I've never been in the situation, over here when it gets overly hot we just drink more water or have ice-cream / frozen yoghurt.

Hot Tea All Day every day.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Hot Tea All Day every day.

That's my Dad with his Green tea all day or Mum with here variety of different teas through the day.
  • edited December 2014
    There's nothing really special about that process at all. I applaud the effort, but he's really not delving deep enough nor allowing himself to be sufficiently inspired by the historical record for that to mean anything.

Archaeological evidence suggests a few possible things about Egyptian bread processing:

1) Barley was used in conjunction with or instead of wheat for cheaper loaves. Wheat has historically been associated with higher-quality - and thus more expensive - bread. The most common form of bread was thus barley-based.

2) Sour leavening was the only known method of leaven used. This would typically take the form of a reserved portion of dough used to start a new batch.

3) Dough was likely mixed and fermented in a specialized "bread trough." This was likely a V-shaped wooden structure that contained a leavening culture (probably initially inoculated by capturing wild yeast from the air). Leave a bit of dough behind after processing, and you have the next starter. The dough was likely fermented overnight before being baked.

4) Grains were likely at least partially malted. Archaeological finds of pottery shards sometimes show husk impressions and occasional impressions of what appear to be acrospires. Literary records show that up to about the 4th century CE, grains were typically "peeled" or de-husked prior to grinding, and this "peeling" was done by repeatedly soaking and drying the grain until the husk floated off. So-called "naked" (i.e. seeds with no husk) cereal crops did exist, but were not common.

5) The saddle quern was the most common type of quern in existence. That example is made of basalt. Stone-grinding malted grains produces a very coarse type of flour that bakes up with a distinct sweetness, and holds shape best as a wafer or thick cracker.

The best way to pull it off would be to get some distatic malt flour, cut it with some barley flour, sour leaven using wild yeast, and bake at a low temperature for a long time.

EDIT:

You might be interested in the various interpretations of "bappir" that different people have attempted. That's the "beer bread" that the author talks about. The exact nature of the bread is completely unknown, as it's only mentioned in a Sumerian poem from ~5000 BCE. I have a general hypothesis that "bread" was originally primarily a method of preserving grain, and that most of these "breads" lacked the gluten content to actually make a useful loaf. Instead, they'd be dry cakes that were mashed with water and literally drunk. Non-alcoholic bread-water.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • If you're interested in trying something weird, I do have that mixed-strain yeast that was isolated from a rural Norwegian farmhouse brewery. I bet that'd make some damn interesting bread.
  • If you're interested in trying something weird, I do have that mixed-strain yeast that was isolated from a rural Norwegian farmhouse brewery. I bet that'd make some damn interesting bread.

Is it still alive? The Red Star fresh yeast from the grocery only lasts weeks.
  • Apreche said:

If you're interested in trying something weird, I do have that mixed-strain yeast that was isolated from a rural Norwegian farmhouse brewery. I bet that'd make some damn interesting bread.

Of course it's alive. I periodically refresh it so that I have an active culture. I'm brewing 10 gallons of beer with some of it right now.

Which reminds me, I need to decant and refresh.

But anyway, you'll find that actual fresh yeast (as in, yeast cells in liquid culture) remain viable considerably longer than grocery store "fresh" yeast. "Fresh" yeast has been partially dried and compressed into a cake, a process that stresses the cells.

I grow my yeast in a solution of 5% honey and 1% yeast nutrient (which is diammonium phosphate).

It's also banked in the lab, so if my active culture ever dies, I can trivially regenerate it from stock cultures.
  • When it is cold in the house I turn my heat to 70 and use a ceramic bowl on top of a cast iron radiator so that my bread dough will rise. The particular bowl I use is large and really soaks up the heat allowing the yeast to activate. Next time I might use the warming burner on my stove top.
  • Apreche said:

If you're interested in trying something weird, I do have that mixed-strain yeast that was isolated from a rural Norwegian farmhouse brewery. I bet that'd make some damn interesting bread.

Of course it's alive. I periodically refresh it so that I have an active culture. I'm brewing 10 gallons of beer with some of it right now.

Which reminds me, I need to decant and refresh.

But anyway, you'll find that actual fresh yeast (as in, yeast cells in liquid culture) remain viable considerably longer than grocery store "fresh" yeast. "Fresh" yeast has been partially dried and compressed into a cake, a process that stresses the cells.

I grow my yeast in a solution of 5% honey and 1% yeast nutrient (which is diammonium phosphate).

It's also banked in the lab, so if my active culture ever dies, I can trivially regenerate it from stock cultures.
    I measure the yeast by weight when making breads. If I was using X grams of grocery store caked fresh yeast, how many grams of super-fresh Pete yeast do I use? Especially considering there's honey in there and such.