This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Starcraft 2

Comments

• I can't really tell. It looks to me like they are precisely controlling the individual military units.
    Some of it is, and that does take a lot of micro, just not every key they press is to accomplish this. Still impressive though, but I feel they are intentionally pressing extra buttons because they are on camera.
  • I can't really tell. It looks to me like they are precisely controlling the individual military units.
    Some of it is, and that does take a lot of micro, just not every key they press is to accomplish this. Still impressive though, but I feel they are intentionally pressing extra buttons because they are on camera.
    I bet every keypress has it's purpose. See the what's-it-called-statusbar there, he is constantly checking his buildings, mostly likely producing new units all the time, even when games camera is focused on some fight.
  • I bet every keypress has it's purpose. See the what's-it-called-statusbar there, he is constantly checking his buildings, mostly likely producing new units all the time, even when games camera is focused on some fight.
    Not every, a lot of key presses is more habit than anything, like selecting a unit multiple times or issuing the same order multiple times. If you read some of the comments on that page a lot of people are saying the same.
  • Dromaro, when do you get those codes and how can I get you 10 dollars? (will you expect a steam game as a gift insead :-p_)
  • Given how touchy IA can be, I'd need monies. I don't want this "trade" of gifts to be misinterpreted in a way that could cost my job. People can contact me directly (I'll figure out how and post that closer to launch date). I'm guessing I'll get people codes and mail me money orders or something along those lines.
  • Now that SC II is actually coming out (in like a week or so), anyone still interested in doing some Battle.net team games? For a while I tried telling myself I'd resist the temptation, but now I know I will be playing this game like a parachute-less base jumper on ecstasy. (yeah, I know, the end results might be disastrous)
  • Now that SC II is actually coming out (in like a week or so), anyone still interested in doing some Battle.net team games? For a while I tried telling myself I'd resist the temptation, but now I know I will be playing this game like a parachute-less base jumper on ecstasy. (yeah, I know, the end results might be disastrous)
    If you want me to bring your team down with my suckitude. How about some games where people teach me how not to die immediately?
  • *Update the third* I'm getting my keys and boxes and what have you tomorrow. We've been asked to delay their distribution/claiming until launch date, however. This being the case, any and all interest in a $10 SC2 copy, please whisper me here. I'll assist all people in the order I get the whispers. While supplies last. ;)
  • *update the fourth*

I'll be working 6PM to 4AM Pacific tomorrow to support 24 hour action for SC2 launch. Assuming I'll be passing out once I get home and can break away from playing myself, I'll get whispers out to people in this thread.
  • In my opinion, the only way for an RTS to be fun is to play against a handicapped computer. The only reward the genre has ever given me is sitting back, building away, and then marching 200 big, bad units across the map to crush a poorly-performing CPU opponent. In my mind, it's just Sim City with guns. If you're playing a human, it's just a matter of who clicks faster in the correct order. There's no aiming or reflex or intuition; it's far too deterministic.
  • RymRym
    edited July 2010
    If you're playing a human, it's just a matter of who clicks faster in the correct order.
    This is why I tend to fall back on TBS games: they rely much more heavily on strategy and tactics, as they can't hide behind the reaction-time elements of RTSs.

I'll make anyone my bitch in Advance Wars.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I'll make anyone my bitch in Advance Wars.
    We know, Rym. We know.
  • edited July 2010
    Anyone want to play with me tomorrow and help me not suck? I'll also probably do the single player for practice and learning purposes. This assumes it actually arrives tomorrow. I pre-ordered it on Amazon, so I guess I'm getting a useless physical box.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Scott = A humble suggestion (or two) if you want to get better. Play on a single player difficulty setting where you get beat maybe once or twice before finishing the mission. I was playing on Hard on the company internal beta and it was pushing me and I saw a noticeable difference when playing against humans. I still suck but not as much...

Also, when you do lose against humans, save and watch all your replays. If nothing else, you can see just how they kicked your ass. You can also clean up your build order.

For the love of God, try to never reach +1,000 minerals. It means you aren't spending enough.
  • You can also clean up your build order.
    Can you, or someone, just tell me the optimal build order for each race so I can copy it exactly?
    For the love of God, try to never reach +1,000 minerals. It means you aren't spending enough.
    This usually happens to me when I have tons of minerals, but not enough gas. If I don't have any gas, what do I spend my minerals on?
  • Spend it on the ability to get gas, and units that don't cost gas.
  • Can you, or someone, just tell me the optimal build order for each race so I can copy it exactly?
    This "optimal build order" is really a phantom. You have your basic opening, sort of like chess, but after that it depends on what strategy you want to employ.

Once I can pry myself away from a single player game, I'll do a game against a basic AI and then send you the replay so you can get an idea of a "basic" opening. Would that work, Sir Scott?
  • Once I can pry myself away from a single player game, I'll do a game against a basic AI and then send you the replay so you can get an idea of a "basic" opening. Would that work, Sir Scott?
    Sure, but it looks like it will be next week. Amazon says it's shipping me the game next Monday. That's ok, I'm not in any rush. If history tells us anything, this game will still be around for a decade. It's not like it's a new game where I'll fall behind everyone else in terms of skill. I'm already as far behind as can be.
  • That's awesome. That'll give me time to consume single player.

Everyone waiting for your $10 action, I've not forgotten. indulge me having just gotten off of work and wanting to enjoy a wee touch of the game myself. =D
  • Actually, Amazon lied. They said it would ship Monday, it shipped right now. Should be here by the end of the week.
  • I played back in the beta and did pretty good. Not Korean good but I won about 50% of the time. My favorite strategy was to build 100 or so Vikings with a few Battlecruisers for backup, fly the hundred vikings around the enemy base and switch to mech mode in a key part of their base. Most of the time it decimated the other guy's base in under a minute, but some of the better players would just find and kill me in the first few minutes before I had the chance to build enough of them. I kind of suck at getting units quickly.

So to you folks who bought the full game, how is the single player? I've been hearing some very iffy things (Very short, bad story, etc). Apparently the two parts of the game were developed completely separately after a certain point.
  • Take another base if you are having gas troubles. Gas heavy units usually need 2 or 3 bases mining gas to support their production.

Extra minerals should be spent on upgrades and more production buildings. Not having enough buildings is what gives you too many minerals. Terrans should have at least three barracks, 2 with reactors and 1 with a tech lab. This will let you pump out marines with excess minerals. You may want more if you are going with a more infantry focused build. Make sure you research the stim pack upgrade. Protoss always want around 4-7 warpgates. make sure you are spreading pylons across the map so you can warp in forces where they are needed. Zerg doesn't really need more hatcheries because queens spawning larvae will keep your stuff rolling. Zerglings are always great unless there are some serious area of effect weapons like the siege tank or colossus. Hydralisks are a good all purpose unit, but they need gas.

Not upgrading your units will lose you longer games. Make sure you are doing it.
  • Terrans should have at least three barracks, 2 with reactors and 1 with a tech lab.
    Three barracks, no wonder I'm losing so bad.
  • This is why I tend to fall back on TBS games: they rely much more heavily on strategy and tactics, as they can't hide behind the reaction-time elements of RTSs.

I'll make anyone my bitch in Advance Wars.
    Yea, me too or you play with humans who are are all micro-managers :-p
  • I'll make anyone my bitch in Advance Wars.
    I think I'd do a lot better at Advance war if we had more players play with us that didn't suck... It's hard to team up on you when the other player is sucking so bad that I have to backstab him because I can't hold myself back ^_^
  • This is why I'm reluctant to get SCII
  • Random - I both wonder if Terran buildings squish enemy units when they set down from flying now, and I wonder if they did in SC1 - I can't remember for the life of me.
  • Who else is buying this? Is it worth investing in? I am prepared to drive out and buy a copy right now.
  • My wife bought it and is playing it now. She's only been playing it for a few hours, but so far the actual gameplay is very much like the original.

I don't think it's necessary to drive out and get it. You can download a digital copy right off the Blizzard website.
  • My wife bought it and is playing it now. She's only been playing it for a few hours, but so far the actual gameplay is very much like the original.

I don't think it's necessary to drive out and get it. You can download a digital copy right off the Blizzard website.
    I drove out to pay a $5 convenience cost (AKA sales tax) to avoid download times, but my DVD drive is being a dick and I ended up having to download it anyway.