This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Starcraft 2

12346»

Comments

• Just installed SC2 and have gotten a brutal reminder of how bad I am at RTS's. My goal is to qualify for silver league after I complete the campaign. Maybe I can do it...maybe...

Also, does anyone else feel that the 20+ short cuts (hot keys 1-10 are not shortcuts) could be standardized and simplified by a large amount? Standard buttons for producing units, standard buttons for activating unit abilities, standard upgrade buttons. The only problem I could see occur is say, you have a marine and a battle cruiser in the same group, you may want to use your cannon without activating stim pack. I would rather have a simplified control scheme and have to deal with non overlapping units in hotkey groups then dealing with the system as it stands right now. At least an option to re-map the keys would be nice. Having hard to memorize/execute control schemes only serves as a barrier to entry for new players.
  • I'm pretty sure the only reason the hotkeys are the way they are is to match what they were in SC1. If they change them, the Koreans will go nuts. I doubt they put the thought and time into choosing the SC1 hotkeys that they could have. They probably discussed it, and money wins every discussion.
  • JayJay
    edited August 2010
    Why...why didn't the damn game tell me that you could switch your keys to a grid system? A much better system for first time/limited experience players, also vastly superior if you plan to use more then 1 race. I just wasted 2 days of playing. Luckily I didn't learn much so i don't have any ingrained muscle memory yet. I assumed you could not re-map keys from my limited experience in SC1. (bad assumption) If I never played the game I would have looked around the options before I started. Well, better late then never
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Why...why didn't the damn game tell me that you could switch your keys to agrid system?
    Were you speaking specifically about this mod or the settings inside the game? I can't recall where I found it but there's an actual setting inside the control configuration where you can set your layout for the hotkeys to grid-style, just like this, without having to install the mod.
  • I decided to buy this game, but it's out of stock pretty much everywhere in Australia, except places with prices like 100 AUD.
  • Can you buy digitally and then use someone's disk to install like you can with Steam games?
  • I'd buy it from Blizzard's online store, but their price is 90 AUD and so fuck them.
  • I believe the digital and the CD versions are mutually exclusive when it comes to install processes, or at least there were. When they started letting people pre-load the digital version they made it known that the consumer couldn't do that and then take their retail key and unlock it. The weird thing is, once you've registered your key from the retail version with b.net you are able to re-download the game at your leisure, so maybe it's a one-way thing? Hardcopy will grant you access to use a digital installer, but digital won't let you use the hardcopy?
  • you are able to re-download the game at your leisure, so maybe it's a one-way thing? Hardcopy will grant you access to use a digital installer, but digital won't let you use the hardcopy?
    As far as I can tell, the downloadable version and the CD version are identical. You just log-in with your battle.net account. I don't see why it wouldn't work the same.
  • The software is agnostic. It doesn't matter where you get the key from nor which source you use for the software.
  • Cool - thanks for clearing that up. I know I was a bit confused.
  • Why...why didn't the damn game tell me that you could switch your keys to agrid system?
    Were you speaking specifically about this mod or the settings inside the game? I can't recall where I found it but there's an actual setting inside the control configuration where you can set your layout for the hotkeys to grid-style, just like this, without having to install the mod.
    I linked the wrong website -_-. I also found the same control configuration area to set the keys to grid. I nearly missed it as you have to use the drop down box instead of just clicking on buttons to reassign as I was used to with most other games. There are allot of people complaining blizzard is giving to much into the casual crowd by letting people switch to a grid system. Apparently we all need to play games using our teeth while beating off a zombie clown army to be real men.
  • There are allot of people complaining blizzard is giving to much into the casual crowd by letting people switch to a grid system
    I can always understand people complaining when something changes in a game that is unchangeable. For example, if Rym complains a game does not offer the ability to invert the y-axis, it's understandable. Yes, only hardcore people want to do that. It shouldn't be the default, but you have to have the option there.

AFAIK the default keybindings in Starcraft 2 are still the hardcore ones. They're allowing people to change them to different ones. Why do people care what keybindings other people use? You can still play your hardcore way, so what the fuck do you care if someone uses different keybindings? Just about every hardcore FPS player uses different keybindings, and you probably won't see them telling each other that their preferences are somehow wrong, they're preferences.

Also, there is one very important issue that many people ignore, and that is handicap accessibility. There are quite a few gamers out there who have some sort of disability. They might have special hardware or controllers that they use to play games. I know some people have made one-handed controllers and such. If a game does not allow the user to completely reconfigure the controls, then that game is basically unplayable to these people. I've signed at least two petitions addressed to the game industry as a whole suggesting that every game on console or PC must have completely reconfigurable controls. I honestly don't know how we're going to solve the problem on mobile devices like iPhone and DS.

If you complain because controls are configurable, you deserve a punch in the face.
  • You can still play your hardcore way, so what the fuck do you care if someone uses different keybindings?
    Ehh, it's part of that whole "Waaaaahhh!!! We had to go through hell to learn how to play this game so everyone else should have to, too!!!" mentality. Personally, I think that these feebs can take whatever muscle memory they gained while playing SC1 and go fellate a Hydralisk. I've seen pics of some pro players' hands on top of their keyboards during SC matches and the default control layout just looks like a case of Carpal Tunnel waiting to happen. Screw that. I shouldn't have to memorize a crapload of obscure keybindings that require me to splay my hands across the keyboard like I'm trying to play a Rachmaninoff concerto or cast some obscure spell from the Book of Vishanti just to be able to get the most out of a game.
  • Ehh, it's part of that whole "Waaaaahhh!!! We had to go through hell to learn how to play this game so everyone else should have to, too!!!" mentality
    Obviously, you don't understand how monumental of a task changing the entire School Curriculum in Korea is.
  • The Schools in Korea are about as crazy as they come in the modern world. Every time I'd talk to Euhye she was either studying or going to bed.
  • I shouldn't have to memorize a crapload of obscure keybindings that require me to splay my hands across the keyboard like I'm trying to play a Rachmaninoff concerto or cast some obscure spell from the Book of Vishanti just to be able to get the most out of a game.
    You don't. Change them.
  • I've actually been forcing myself to play the SC1 campaigns, where the bindings are unchangeable. As a result, I've been getting used to them. Even so, I'll probably still change them in SC2.
  • You don't. Change them.
    Uh, that was my whole point. I've already switched SC2 over to grid-style bindings. :)
  • There are allot of people complaining blizzard is giving to much into the casual crowd by letting people switch to a grid system.
    I listen to podcasts and watch commentaries on SC2 a lot, and no-one has ever said anything bad about the grid system. In fact, TLO (TheLittleOne) is one of the top players in the game, and he uses the grid system all the time.
  • The default config for the commander in NS is a grid.
  • JayJay
    edited August 2010
    There are allot of people complaining blizzard is giving to much into the casual crowd by letting people switch to a grid system.
    I listen to podcasts and watch commentaries on SC2 a lot, and no-one has ever said anything bad about the grid system. In fact, TLO (TheLittleOne) is one of the top players in the game, and he uses the grid system all the time.
    The complaints I've seen haven't been from anyone in the pro community. Its just semi good veterans in forums, youtube comments, or people I know locally. I wouldn't expect a pro or a seasoned commentator to complain. The controls really don't give an advantage their just simpler if you didn't already memorize the old scheme. It's the middle ground masses that played SC1 I'm really annoyed with. Though, it is possible I have just seen a vocal minority and really 99% people think the new system is great/don't care. Actually, I hope that is the case.
    The default config for the commander in NS is a grid.
    Excellent
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Recently pirated Starcraft 2, and beat the campaign. Definitely intent on buying it once I actually have the money to do so. I can play vs AI with the newest crack I found, and I'm really liking the Protoss. Warp Gates are just so much fun and Chrono Boosting gives me a warm feeling inside for whatever reason. Probes are also kinda cute with their "Weeboo weeboo" sounds.

Currently mopping the floor with Normal Mode comps and moving up to Hard. I still haven't gotten the hang of using Sentries. More often than not, I end up fucking myself over or just kind of wasting them. I feel like if I didn't suck with those, I'd do a lot better in the early and mid games.

Also, I hadn't heard of the grid configuration until I browsed this thread earlier today. Played with it a bit, and other than a few incidents of me un-warp gating my gateways instead of spawning units, its been immensely more useful than the default hotkeys.
  • JayJay
    edited August 2010

Currently mopping the floor with Normal Mode comps and moving up to Hard. I still haven't gotten the hang of using Sentries. More often than not, I end up fucking myself over or just kind of wasting them. I feel like if I didn't suck with those, I'd do a lot better in the early and mid games.
    Word of warning. The game pulls a 0 to fucktard difficult move in hard mode for "In Utter Darkness" (The last mission from the memory crystal). I've been playing through the game on hard to force myself to get better. It was going smoothly until I hit this campaign.

*Spoilers*
    I made it all the way to the end, 25...30 minutes...for the last major zerg wave that is supposed to kill you. I could not kill enough units. It just seemed like the game gave up on giving me normal units and just started throwing hybrids/infestors at me until I was dead. No matter what I did I was 200 kills short before they broke my lines and wiped me out. Even the mother ship was no use. I imagine I either had to purposely let some of those worms that let zergs come out last longer to rake up more kills before the last wave, or I needed to amass a full 200 army of cariers/phenix/void rays to last long enough for the final wave to get to 2000. As far as I can tell you need to play the mission extremely efficiently to get a very large army before the end. Just maintain around 100 wont cut it.
    *Spoilers*
    Post edited by Jay on
  • Build nothing but colossi and cannons. Form 2 groups on either side of the library and watch them burn. I was 23 kills short of the "Kill an extra 750" achievement on Hard mode.
  • So, is anyone still laddering at all? I've been working on the ladder some, but I've given up on doing it as Zerg. I used to lose almost every game, now I'm 4-Gating as Protoss every matchup and winning consistently.

I think that Zerg is a race that takes a lot more skill to be good at. You need to constantly be paying attention to your opponent so you know when to make drones and when to make units. You need to be not only building units constantly, but physically going between every hatchery and using spawn larvae. It's a lot more work than hitting 4-E on the keyboard as protoss every few seconds.
  • I still play at least once or twice a week, ladder. Win more than lose, but thanks to a steep learning curve I'm still languishing at the top of Bronze. If I played more I'm sure I could move up but I have other priorities.

I am learning, though. Pulled a slick battlecruiser rush last week, with a push as soon as I got one BC out supported with a couple hellions and a handful of infantry, which is my new favorite thing. My girlfriend also plays on my account, more than I do actually; I play Terran but thanks to her I have more Protoss games on my record. She's been winning more than losing lately.