This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bad Music

Comments

• edited May 2009
    Cold Play.
    I dunno, I don't get why people hate on Cold Play so much. I kinda like some of their songs, like "The Scientist." I don't know if I'd call myself a hardcore fan, but I don't get why people go aggle aggle about their music.
    I am with you on this Emily. I am not a fan, but they are competent musicians. The compositions can be a predictable and bland, but they are hardly "bad".
    I guess we should really define what we mean by "bad." For instance, the Iced Earth albums I talked about aren't "bad" heavy metal; they're just not very good, and they're way below par for the band. So, the albums are comparatively bad. Generally speaking, when I say that any music is "bad," I'm talking about it being comparatively bad.

If your music is uninspired and difficult to distinguish from other similar forms of music, I consider it bad. There's a new band out there called Warbringer; they're an LA-based thrash metal band that sounds almost exactly liked Slayer from about 1986. The musicianship is solid, the song construction is fine, and overall, they're an excellent thrash band. However, they don't do anything that hasn't already been done 100 times over by more established and well-known musicians; hence, I classify them as "bad."

What do you do about a band that is actively attempting to be "bad?" Like, what do you say about Merzbow or similar noise artists? The music is arguably "bad," but they're doing it quite on purpose.

EDIT:
    I like Coldplay.
    You know how I know you're gay?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited May 2009
    What do you do about a band that is actively attempting to be "bad?" Like, what do you say about Merzbow or similar noise artists? The music is arguably "bad," but they're doing it quite on purpose.
    It really depends on whether you wish to call something objectively bad or subjectively bad. Personally, I think the Cure sucks, but that doesn't make them a bad band, it just means I don't enjoy listening to their music. Now if you want to argue that a performer is bad at executing their craft on a technical level, that's a different matter.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • This is back on the whole "I do not enjoy a piece of art, but I recognize it's artistic value."

You can dislike things that are considered "good" in the technical department. I mean, some people find Citizen Kane very boring, but you should not try to argue that it wasn't a huge artistic achievement.
  • edited May 2009
    Well then, I guess I'll have to admit that Coldplay is not a "bad" band, but they suck pretty hard.

EDIT: Limp Bizkit, however, is objectively terrible.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited May 2009
    I am with you on this Emily. I am not a fan, but they are competent musicians. The compositions can be a predictable and bland, but they are hardly "bad".
    You know who else are competent musicians? Jonas Bros, Paramore, Nickelback, etc. But does that mean any of them are actually well skilled at what they are doing? Fuck no, and that is one big thing that separates the top tier from the shit tier.

Also, as a rock group, being "bland" is pretty much a nail in the coffin.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited May 2009
    Also, as a rock group, being "bland" is pretty much a nail in the coffin.
    I find pretty much anything these days trying to be a "rock band" to be bland. Traditional "rock and roll" is on it's deathbed as we know it. And you know what, I'm glad to see it go. It has overstayed it's welcome. I <3 my sub and subsub genres.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • subsub genres.
    Fuck yes, electro-indie.
  • I never listen to the radio (except the local classic rock station sometimes) so I am not up with the times. That is mainly because I think most "popular" music sucks. I am a band geek/musician so I tend to like instrumental music more. (Yet I love music the 80s...)

There seems to be an abundance of musicians that are so-so at singing (Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, etc) and sing really retarded music that was obviously not even written by them. Then there are the actresses that can't sing at all and decide to release an album because every else is doing it.

I was riding with my friend the other day and she had on some generic hip-hop sounding radio station (I do not know how to describe the genre correctly, sorry). I soon realized almost every song I heard was using the same chord progressions. That made me sad.
  • subsub genres.
    Fuck yes, electro-indie.
    Fuck no, electro-indie is always bad. MGMT, Crystal Castles, Black Kids, uugggh.
  • In regards to subsubgenres, I recently discovered the hilarious-looking cybergoth community. They just look so stupid and neon.
  • edited May 2009
    I'm really not a fan of sub and subsubsub genres, or at least classifying them as such. Metal bands are really the biggest offenders, but it's everywhere. Goregrind? Grindcore? Melodic whateverthefuckcore? Mathcore? (god dammit that one never made sense to me).
    GTFO.

Arctic Monkeys and Wolfmother are two modern day bands that are pretty much the standard singer, drummer, bassist, and guitarist bands, but they're fuckawesome.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I'm really not a fan of sub and subsubsub genres, or at least classifying them as such. Metal bands are really the biggest offenders, but it's everywhere. Goregrind? Grindcore? Melodic whateverthefuckcore? Mathcore? (god dammit that one never made sense to me).
    GTFO.
    I've mentioned this in the metal thread, but Cephalic Carnage is the worst offender in that category. They call themselves "Rocky Mountain hydro-grind." What the fuck is that supposed to mean? The music itself is grindcore (hardcore punk with a smattering of death metal and other extreme metal: very spastic and chaotic), but for some reason, they feel the need to distinguish themselves.

I have a feeling that some of the overuse of subgenres is an attempt by bands to distinguish themselves from other bands. Certainly, there is a discernible difference between deathgrind and grindcore, but not every deathgrind band sounds different from every grindcore band.
  • I used to call my electronic music "jiggy dope" just to see if people would nod their heads or say "What the hell are you talking about?"
  • edited May 2009
    Subgenres can be extremely useful in pinpointing your exact tastes and comminucating them to other people. They've just got a bad rap because bands use them to be pretentious or ironic.
    subsub genres.
    Fuck yes, electro-indie.
    Fuck no, electro-indie is always bad. MGMT, Crystal Castles, Black Kids, uugggh.
    I'm generally more of a fan of electro-indie's more outgoing half-brother, dance punk. Does It Offend You, Yeah?, LCD Soundsystem, !!!, etc.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I'm generally more of a fan of electro-indie's more outgoing half-brother, dance punk.
    Seeing what you've categorized as dance punk, I'm probably with you there in that I like it more than electro-indie.
    Arctic Monkeys and Wolfmother are two modern day bands that are pretty much the standard singer, drummer, bassist, and guitarist bands, but they're fuckawesome.
    I'm with you on Wolfmother, but I can honestly say I've never seen the fuckawesomeness of Arctic Monkeys. I mean, yeah, "I Bet You Look Pretty Good on the Dancefloor" is a madly danceable and fun track, and I like it a lot. However, to me, their body of work as a whole is rather mediocre compared to a lot of the other bands rising the same wave of Brit indie music. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like anyone to help me understand what the allure is.
  • edited May 2009
    Black Kids
    I harbor a guilty pleasure:

Thrice is my nemesis.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited May 2009
    I mean, yeah, "I Bet You Look Pretty Good on the Dancefloor" is a madly danceable and fun track, and I like it a lot. However, to me, their body of work as a whole is rather mediocre compared to a lot of the other bands rising the same wave of Brit indie music. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like anyone to help me understand what the allure is.
    Listen to something other than that song, for one. That was the song that got me into the monkeys, but as of right now I have their entire discography (actually own both major albums and I downloaded all the EPs). I like their bass in some songs, their drummer is absolutely amazing (listen to...about anything on Favourite Worst Nightmare), and the guitar isn't half bad either (well, it's nothing technical really, it just sounds good, which is good enough for me).
    Subgenres can be extremely useful in pinpointing your exact tastes and comminucating them to other people.
    Meh, I usually just tell people some of my favorite bands, and that usually communicates my tastes fairly well. Do I like rap? Not really, and I would not list it as a favorite genre. Do I like Cypress Hill? Yes.
    If people ask what genres I like, I just say "rock and techno, and a little bit of other shit here and there". If people want to know any more, then I have to start talking about specific bands.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited May 2009
    And you know why you have to use names of bands? Because you started with terms as broad and vague as rock and techno. It's like a Google search, the narrower your search terms the faster you can get to something worthwhile.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • All Things Consideredwould occasionally have this guy on with a bunch of clips of bad music. It was hilarious. That was some bad music to be sought out, because it crossed the line from bad to awesome. I wish I remembered that guy's name.

In that vein, "Highly Illogical" by Lenoard Nimoy and "Rocket Man" by William Shatner are not to be missed.
    This too is incredibly painful to watch and listen to because of how overbearingly campy it is as well as Nimoy's awful vocal talents.
  • edited June 2009
    I fucking hate this song. Makes me angry that THIS guy can be famous with this contrived music. Even -I- can rap better than this.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited June 2009
    Oh god, I have a friend who actually likes that song.
    Of course, I also have a bunch of friends who like (and I cringe as I write this in it's "correct fashion") Lil Wayne. Maybe it's time to trim the edges of my friend group down a little bit.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Lil Wayne is one of the least bad artists in mainstream hip-hop. There's so much worse stuff your friends could like.
  • edited June 2009
    Lil Wayne is one of the least bad artists in mainstream hip-hop. There's so much worse stuff your friends could like.
    Agreed. Artists like Lil' Wayne and Kanye West, while not great, are pushing Hip-Hop in a much better direction than artists like Soulja Boy or 50 Cent. I'm sure if Akahi's friends could appreciate some good Hip-Hop if they were introduced to it.

There is no excuse for liking I Love Collge, though.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited June 2009
    There are a lot of good mainstream rappers out there, but most of the mainstream hip-hop acts aren't even making rap music anymore, it's becoming dance music. So I think that Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and all those other good rappers to emerge this decade are in the minority, and can't really change the direction hip-hop is going.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I fucking hate this song. Makes me angry that THIS guy can be famous with this contrived music. Even -I- can rap better than this.
    He's famous? Who listens to that, frat boys? I had never heard of him, thank goodness. Seriously.
  • edited June 2009

Gyah, I have to get this one out of my system. The lyrics are insipid and uninspired to the extreme (my major problem with the song), and the vocals and melody are barely passable at best (I can't judge objectively very well, given that I'm the girl who authentically enjoys listening to Halko Momoi and ALI Project). Maybe that alone wouldn't be enough to inspire burning hatred, but I had to listen to this song every half-hour for every shift I worked for about a month. I wanted to strangle Miley Cyrus every time this song came on after a while.

This happens a lot at work. We have a reel of movie trailers, commercials, concession graphics, and music videos that plays on screens right in the box office where I work, and most of the music videos that are featured are Disney-Channel-spawned garbage. It only tends to change once a month, and at the worst, it can stay mostly the same for up to three months (that three month period? The same four songs, one each from Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, the Jonas Brothers, and Lights). It gets to the point where if a song or artist that's kind of okay come in, like The Killers, I feel like a breath of fresh air has come to our theatre. D:
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I think that Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and all those other good rappers to emerge this decade are in the minority, and can't really change the direction hip-hop is going.
    Not as a whole, but both of them are still making the top 40. A lot of people are into their music, and I'm hoping that will pave the way for other artists of their sort.
  • I think that Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and all those other good rappers to emerge this decade are in the minority, and can't really change the direction hip-hop is going.
    Not as a whole, but both of them are still making the top 40. A lot of people are into their music, and I'm hoping that will pave the way for other artists of their sort.
    Kanye is ok, but I have no idea why people like Wayne. I can't stand the production on any of his songs(honestly, they are probably the worst part of most of his songs), his lyrics are straight garbage, and his voice is grating and unpleasant.
  • I fucking hate this song. Makes me angry that THIS guy can be famous with this contrived music. Even -I- can rap better than this.
    Who listens to that, frat boys?
    This song is pretty much the frat boy anthem right now.
  • edited June 2009
    I fucking hate this song. Makes me angry that THIS guy can be famous with this contrived music. Even -I- can rap better than this.
    He's famous? Who listens to that, frat boys? I had never heard of him, thank goodness. Seriously.
    You'll be surprised at how popular this guy is, especially with frat people and typical college-goers. It's depressing, really.
    I wanted to strangle Miley Cyrus every time this song came on after a while.
    Her other songs are just as uninspired and terrible.
    Post edited by VentureJ on