This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bad Music

124»

Comments

• Just to clarify, I'm not calling Animal Collective a bad band.
    Then what's the link in response to?
  • Sail calling everything derivative. I wanted him to go look up what Animal Collective is derivative of.
  • edited June 2009
    Sail calling everything derivative. I wanted him to go look up what Animal Collective is derivative of.
    You'd have to name a particular album or work. It's all very different. Besides, if you do a Google search and read through interviews from each time period, you'll find answers. But I'm not going to do your dirty work for you ;)
    Why are we even talking about this?
    Because someone is wrong on the internet!

On topic:
    Post edited by Sail on
  • EVERYTHING IS DERIVED FROM SOMETHING ELSE. ORIGINALITY IS A MYTH. SHUT UP AND ENJOY IT.

As for Animal Collective, experimental music has existed for a long time. Franz Liszt, anyone?
  • edited June 2009
    [Video]
    Oh god, I've seen that before. Its title is pretty fucking accurate.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on

• A classic. Worst cover ever?
  • On topic: (video of worst band ever)
    I kinda feel like 17 year old kids playing in a rec room kinda don't count. If those guys put out an album and play some clubs, then maybe.
  • As for Animal Collective, experimental music has existed for alongtime. Franz Liszt, anyone?
    Animal Collective hardly make experimental music.
  • As for Animal Collective, experimental music has existed for alongtime. Franz Liszt, anyone?
    Try Schoenberg.
  • (video)
    A classic. Worst cover ever?
    Wow. This makes me laugh and rage at the same time.
  • While we're on the topic of experimental music...
    That is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.
  • I love John cage.
    That is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.
    Y'know, while I really do appreciate that, I've never considered it to be music. It's still worthy of consideration, though.

• Yeah, he's great.
  • edited June 2009
    @ Jason: I have the same guilty pleasure. We are both shameful.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited June 2009
    In my generation, I feel like there seems to be this taboo that old stuff is not good which I really don't understand times a million.
    This is fairly true when it comes to rap. I don't know anyone who listens to "classic" rap AND modern rap. Any rap fans I know listen to one or the other, not both. Sail is right about classic rock, though. It's extremely popular with the highschoolers.
    This is sooo not true at all. How many people do you know that only like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones and don't listen to anything else?
    None. I know many people who primarily listen to said bands, but I don't know anyone who limits themselves to those bands and those bands only. I also don't know many people who limit themselves to classic rock only.
    We are pretty much the only generation ever to embrace our parent's music above our own to this degree. It's absurd how many people I've talked to who think that music in general sucks today.
    I agree with the first part, but disagree with the second part. I know a lot of people who listen to both. I know few, but not many, people who hate all music from today.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited June 2009
    I meant primarily listen to those bands. Not in the literal sense. Same with the other part you disagreed with, I said "in general" there which denotes 'most' and not 'all'. But we seem to be pretty much on the same page about this, anyway.
    Post edited by Sail on