This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bad Music

Comments

• edited June 2009

Horrible cover to a great song. You have to love the fact that she tries to do the stutter from the original song, but fails horribly!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Worse are the lyric changes.

"I hope I don't die before I get old."
  • Worse are the lyric changes.

"I hope Idon'tdie before I get old."
    Very true, it actually changes the entire feel of the song.
  • You'll be surprised at how popular this guy is, especially with frat people and typical college-goers. It's depressing, really.
    High school kids are catching on to this garbage, too. The song pretty much blows...
    Kanye is ok, but I have no idea why people like Wayne. I can't stand the production on any of his songs(honestly, they are probably the worst part of most of his songs), his lyrics are straight garbage, and his voice is grating and unpleasant.
    And he looks like horseshit, too. Sometimes looks pave a career (See: Hilary Duff, Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, etc), but, uh, certainly not in this case. I really do not understand it.
  • edited June 2009
    Worse are the lyric changes. "I hope Idon'tdie before I get old."
    Didn't we discuss this abomination before? Hillary Duff, stop trying to be what you are not. Make music for tweens with no taste.
    On the subject of tweens with no taste, Smiley Virus is bland-bubble-gum-poop, but I would take her music over Britney Spears any day.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • So, I feel like I have totally different views on a lot of songs here. I run the lights at Spinnaker and my brother is a DJ, so I hear this stuff all of the time, stuff no-one here likes, and I end up listening to it all the time. It's catchy to those who like the genre.

I've never really understood why people band together like they do in this thread and say that things are bad or good. If they are good to some people, then they aren't bad. You can say people have bad taste, but what makes your taste good? I really and truly enjoy a lot of this modern rap music, and I don't think that me saying that should give you the right to say I have bad taste.

Anyway, I'll leave you with the two new hot Asher Roth tracks.

Then the new Soulja boy, which I think is really catchy.

There's also the other song from BrokenCYDE, called Freaxxx.

And the last one I'll do is Half a Brick.

I like all of these except Freaxxx, but the only problem with that is the screaming.
  • edited June 2009
    I've never really understood why people band together like they do in this thread and say that things are bad or good.
    There aren't any predetermined agreements here; we're just hating on music that we don't like. Remember that: we're hating the on music, not on the fans. You are fully entitled to your opinions and I will not ridicule you for them.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Teasing people for their tastes is okay, as long as people realize it is lighthearted and usually has nothing to do with their character. I love a ton of music that I know is "bad" (Abba, Spice Girls (for working out - it is an odd motivator), etc.) and people can tease all they want. If you get offended that someone doesn't like something you like, then these forums are not for you.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    I've never really understood why people band together like they do in this thread and say that things are bad or good.
    There aren't any predetermined agreements here; we're just hating on music that we don't like. Remember that: we're hating the on music, not on the fans. You are fully entitled to your opinions and I will not ridicule you for them.
    That is true indeed, but my gripe is that fans of that sort of music (at least the ones I know) are almost exclusively ignorant of the roots of the genre and the golden years when rap and hip-hop was not just Soulja Boy or 50 Cent. I try to tell them of the good stuff but they are either too ignorant or just won't have any of it cause they don't wanna spoil the music they listen to (don't ask me, this is what they say and it makes no fucking sense). In my generation, I feel like there seems to be this taboo that old stuff is not good which I really don't understand times a million. What difference does it make if something is old, music is music regardless of age. Despite my rant, the point I'm trying to make is that people can have their opinions and like whatever they wanna like, but I encourage that they don't be so close minded and try new things too because there are a lot of good things that they just haven't discovered yet.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • In my generation, I feel like there seems to be this taboo that old stuff is not good which I really don't understand times a million.
    This is sooo not true at all. How many people do you know that only like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones and don't listen to anything else? We are pretty much the only generation ever to embrace our parent's music above our own to this degree. It's absurd how many people I've talked to who think that music in general sucks today.
  • In my generation, I feel like there seems to be this taboo that old stuff is not good which I really don't understand times a million.
    This is sooo not true at all. How many people do you know that only like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones and don't listen to anything else? We are pretty much the only generation ever to embrace our parent's music above our own to this degree. It's absurd how many people I've talked to who think that music in general sucks today.
    Bear in mind that I'm still in high school
  • Bear in mind that I'm still in high school
    So am I, dude. I'm your exact age.
  • Bear in mind that I'm still in high school
    So am I, dude. I'm your exact age.
    Well...then I guess we know which high school's alumni has better taste then, don't we?
  • You're taking a side in this that is going to make you appear very pretentious in the end, and is not something at all unique to our generation. Saying that something isn't "as good as it used to be" is an idea practically older than time, and easily refutable by the fact of subjectivity in everything and the effect of nostalgia. Think about the bigger picture, about how Beatles tribute bands like Rain sell out at all the venues they play with a large percentage of their audience being kids our age who aren't even attending with their parents. That's crazy in the grand scope of culture, that children should be so infatuated with the music of their parents.

The idea is that kids are supposed to reject what their parents like, but they're not, and that's something that is baffling to psychologists and the people who study this stuff.
  • The idea is that kids are supposed to reject what their parents like, but they're not, and that's something that is baffling to psychologists and the people who study this stuff.
    I think it's probably because so much of the music today is derivative of the music out parents listened to. I mean, I like The Beatles as much as the next guy, but I hate all of the boy bands that they and people like Buddy Holly spawned.
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    The idea is that kids aresupposedto reject what their parents like, but they're not, and that's something that is baffling to psychologists and the people who study this stuff.
    I think it's probably because so much of the music today is derivative of the music out parents listened to. I mean, I like The Beatles as much as the next guy, but I hate all of the boy bands that they and people like Buddy Holly spawned.
    For the most part, originality doesn't exist anymore as a great majority of entertainment and media is either derivative of or reminiscent of something else out in pop culture, we need more Allan Moores and J. R. R. Tolkiens out there to shake things up a little. If any of you know about people like that...hook me up with some links as I want to indulge in that stuff.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited June 2009
    Yeah, Tolkien wasn't derivative at all.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Yeah, Tolkien wasn't derivative at all.
    And the lime green text means what now?
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2009
    And the lime green text means what now?
    Sarcasm.
    Can someone give me a color chart cause I'll be damned if I know what color some text is in means (except for red which is Ubermensch Herr Periode's work).
    Post edited by Geo on
  • originality doesn't exist anymore
    You assume that it existed at all. Find me a work of art that does not borrow from another work of art.
  • The majority of the characters in Watchmen are blatantly derivative of other, older superheroes. Tolkien borrowed tons of ideas from all sorts of mythologies. Just saying, so that you don't use those two as examples again when you're trying to show off the pinnacle of originality.
  • The majority of the characters in Watchmen are blatantly derivative of other, older superheroes
    To the extent that they originally were going to be other older superheroes, specifically, the Charlton Comics characters, but DC wouldn't let him use them. Then there's the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. And Lost Girls. I think I see a pattern here.
  • originality doesn't exist anymore
    You assume that it existed at all. Find me a work of art that does not borrow from another work of art.
    -ahem!-
  • edited June 2009
    -ahem!-
    Catcher in the Rye is famous for it's steam of consciousness narrative, but James Joyce, Virginia Wolf, and William Faulkner were doing it waaaay before Salinger. More obviously, the phrase "catcher in the rye" is a derivative of the poem Comin' Through the Rye, which is quite explicitly stated within the book itself.

Next.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • -ahem!-
    Catcher in the Ryeis famous for it's steam of consciousness narrative, but James Joyce, Virginia Wolf, and William Faulkner were doing it waaaay before Salinger. More obviously, the phrase "catcher in the rye" is a derivative of the poemComin' Through the Rye, which is quite explicitly stated within the book itself.

Next.
    Take Two!!
  • Take Two!!
    Oh please. Lovecraft was a Romantic/gothic horror writer that was born a century too late. Read some Edgar Allen Poe or Mary Shelly, or even any Romantic period writer, the similarities in their styles are obvious.
  • Dude, give it a rest. No one would ever do anything if they weren't inspired by other things. Not everything needs to be 100% original to be worth appreciating. What are we even arguing over?
  • edited June 2009
    Honestly I just want to see what you can dig up

Just to clarify, I'm not calling Animal Collective a bad band.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • edited June 2009
    Watch it, Koholint.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • You assume that it existed at all. Find me a work of art that does not borrow from another work of art.
    Cave paintings!

Too bad they suck. Why are we even talking about this?