This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

First Dates

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
I was going to start this topic in the UP thread but I think it really deserves it's own.

What are some good first date ideas you've had?
What did you do on some first dates that went well?
What did you do on some first dates from HELL?

I really don't think their is anything as the perfect first date set up. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Some people like the traditional set up: dinner and a movie. Some people are more comfortable with more casual: getting coffee and walking around that park. Some people like to be active: bikes rides, hiking, frisbee in the park. Some one will be allergic to the entire zoo and then get a head splitting migraine from that 300$ bottle of wine.

I'll pose some horror stories later. Trust me. They're some good stories.

Also, don't forget the idea of a group first date especially if you don't have a car but your friend does. I set up a triple blind date a few weeks ago. That went well.

Comments

• Dinner and a movie is horrible! Can't talk during the movie and after talking about the movie for 5 minutes you're screwed unless you have some really good banter. I'm pretty awkward with people I don't know as I'm not the best conversationalist in the world. Best thing I ever did was taken a girl to an amusement park and then dinner, because an amusement park lets you bond a lot more and get a feel for their personality and buying a girl dinner makes me feel all gentlemanly and shit.

I did take out one girl on a blind date once and she saw someone she knew, but obviously didn't like. She proceeded to go over there and start a fight. Turned out the other chick was on her first date too (me and her date started talking whilst they were screaming). Eventually it got physical and neither me nor Mark (the other dude) wanted to get involved. Instead the police show up after the bouncers had got between them and arrested them both.Mark and I ended up having a guy-date, due to our actual dates being arrested. We watched football at some pub and drank beer. Good times.
  • Dinner and a movie is definitely my fallback idea, but it winds up working pretty solidly most of the time. I know a lot of good restaurants, many of which are small and out of the way, so a lot of people don't know about them. Dinner is the time to have a good conversation; the movie can be as well, if you talk quietly. Getting coffee afterward is a good idea to have some more conversation.

Festivals are good places to go. There are generally lots of sights to see, and thus lots of things on which to comment. Depending on the person, concerts can be good; if you find a girl that's into metal, you can have a mosh pit date. :P

I honestly don't have very many interesting date stories; all of my interesting stories are the lead-up to the date itself, or things that occur after the main date activity. :P
  • I honestly don't have very many interesting date stories; all of my interesting stories are the lead-up to the date itself, or things that occurafterthe main date activity. :P
    Me too, man. Monopoly, Yahtzee ... you name it, I've done it.

I had a girl take me to a high-school football game. She was this really intense girl and I was this kind of listless high-school nerd, heavily into Linux and anime, unaware that girls had suddenly started liking me. Anyways, we went, I marginally enjoyed myself, her parents took us back and as she was getting out of the car she hit me with this fantastic kiss and told me we were going to homecoming together.

I would meet my next girlfriend, one of her friends, at said homecoming. Needless to say, things are awkward between us to this day.
  • I honestly don't have very many interesting date stories; all of my interesting stories are the lead-up to the date itself, or things that occurafterthe main date activity. :P
    If I recall correctly, I remember you once briefly mentioning that you showed a girl Ichi the Killer and managed to get laid because of that, that's a pretty big fucking accomplishment right there that I think warrants a story as Ichi is hardcore shit!
  • edited June 2009
    Movies are a definite no for a first date. I did it before when I was asked out and it can be fun snarking about whatever were watching, but not everyone does that.

I prefer a dinner date to talk and get to know each other. Or maybe a nice walk to the park or through the zoo. I also love museum dates. Heck, I had fun just going around the city looking for everything and nothing with someone.

I don't have much very interesting stories. I think the worst date I had was when my ex promised to treat me at Six Flags on our anniversary, but spent it on an ungodly amount of Slim Jims instead.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I think the worst date I had was when my ex promised to treat me at Six Flags on our anniversary, but spent it on an ungodly amount of slim jims instead.
    That story is only made worse by the fact that Slim Jims are terrible.
  • edited June 2009
    I've discovered the best "first date" is just a casual encounter. I had a professor who liked bringing classes to museums (the Met and Cloisters), and both times I ended up sparking a conversation with (and then going out with) a girl from said group. Really, I would consider these "first dates", since they definitely broke the ice, even if we didn't know each other beforehand.

In contrast, I once got a phone number while drunk on a subway, and decided to wing a dinner with said girl. The place I was planning was packed, and we wandered for a while finding something, barely making conversation. (Probably the closest thing I had to a first date from hell, but, hey, I'm only 19)

Now I conclude you really should know a person before the date. Grab a lunch or coffee with them, and then make sure that "first date" is something they'll enjoy, like a museum trip, cafe (live music is an awesome incentive), or event (something you two can have a conversation during). Otherwise, my go to is Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater. The tickets are cheap, some shows are relatively short, the place tends to be full of happy couples, and if you're paying attention, you can always grab a conversation starter from the act. (but I tend to save that for the second date)
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Dinner and a movie is horrible! Can't talk during the movie and after talking about the movie for 5 minutes you're screwed unless you have some really good banter. I'm pretty awkward with people I don't know as I'm not the best conversationalist in the world. Best thing I ever did was taken a girl to an amusement park and then dinner, because an amusement park lets you bond a lot more and get a feel for their personality and buying a girl dinner makes me feel all gentlemanly and shit.
    You gotta work on the conversation then. Honestly the dinner and a movie traditional date, is a pretty good set up, in the evolution of dating behavior there is a reason this sticks around. One, it's reasonably cheap (compared to say going to a amusement park) and gives you time to get to know each other (the dinner) and some time in public in the dark (the movie) to well make some sort of physical move (put your arm around her) it also gives you both an excuse to hang out longer if things are going well to discuss the movie ^_^.
  • Depending on the person, concerts can be good; if you find a girl that's into metal, you can have a mosh pit date. :P
    This did not go so well for me. (I thought it would be a good idea to wear flip flops for some reason)

I tend not to go on dates, at least knowingly. Is a date something you do before officially declaring yourself girlfriend/boyfriend, or after? I always thought it was before, in which case I never went on dates. I always just knew the guy from school or band or something. The one exception to this is that my current boyfriend claims our first date was getting ice cream, way before we were together. I don't even remember this. :-P

But if dates count for after you're "together," then I think movies are great. Especially if its something you both really want to see. You spent lots of quality time speculating about it and being excited before hand, and then afterward you get to discuss how awesome/not awesome it was.
  • I tend not to go on dates, at least knowingly. Is a date something you do before officially declaring yourself girlfriend/boyfriend, or after? I always thought it was before, in which case I never went on dates. I always just knew the guy from school or band or something. The one exception to this is that my current boyfriend claims our first date was getting ice cream, way before we were together. I don't even remember this. :-P
    This is actually an area that a lot of people confuse and definitely shows a generational shift. My dad would "date" many girls at the same time, in his day you asked people out on dates and then when you went "steady" you were really the boyfriend/girlfriend thing. These days generally people (especially in college) with money or transportation issues) end up in a relationship before they actually do a lot of dating or the dating is actually in the form of group dating. My dad always said, if two single people of opposite sex hang out (and are not gay) it's a date.
  • I've done dinner at one restaurant and driven across town to get drinks and dessert at another restaurant. This gives you some time in the car alone to talk. It can also be a bit cheaper if you go to a decent small restaurant first and to a kind of fancy place second.

I've also done a "Lets go find the best milkshake stand in town" Date. We drove around for a few hours trying out who had the best ice cream. It's a good summer date, but I think it would have been better if it was more then just the two of us. OR if she hadn't been kind of bitch :P
  • I have never date anyone before :O
    I have had girlfriends but not dates really, I come from a country where if you can take a girl to Mc Donalds (I guess now it would be Friday's) you are considered a guy with crazy tons of money. Also, I really haven't dated really dated anyone, well some times girls invite me lunch but only because I am awesome. Well, joking aside, I really haven't much time for dating since I had to pay out of state most of my college career. Well, I back in my country I took some of them to different parties, but I did it mostly because the food was good :P
    So, yeah there you have it I have never had a proper date :S
  • OR if she hadn't been kind of bitch :P
    Yeah, that's a variable that can kill pretty much any date. :)
  • OR if she hadn't been kind of bitch :P
    Well, at least you got good ice-cream out of it.
  • buying a girl dinner makes me feel all gentlemanly and shit.
    Gah, I never want to let people pay for my meal if I don't know them super well. Sound the girl out before you get all "chivalrous." In my opinion, guys who are really insistent about always paying for dinner seem old-fashioned, overly traditional, and a total turn-off. However, if the girl says you can get it this time, and then offers to pay the next time you go out, take her up on that! It means she likes to hang around with you enough that she plans on having an opportunity to return the favor. Going dutch means that I am free of obligation, but if I allow a guy to treat, it means that I'll want to treat him some time in the future, like by buying ice cream, or paying for the tickets to a show. Also, factor in your money differences. If you are a poor college student, and she a rich young lawyer, if she makes you pay all the time it's not very nice.
    My dad always said, if two single people of opposite sex hang out (and are not gay) it's a date.
    Like, seriously, why does it become a date, versus just hanging out? In college I would go out to movie and coffee with single male friends of mine and talk about projects, but I never would have called it a date any more than I would have had the friend in question been female. Do both parties have to be conscious of the romantic implications for it to be date? I like to take walks with people I like, or play sports outside. Those are good things to invite people you like to do. I guess try to spend as much time as possible with your crush, and don't plan it out. Invite them to just random stuff, like apple-picking and gallery openings, that you were going to do anyway.

I guess I hung out with too many boys at the same time to actually say I dated in high school. Also, I guess if you count romantic involvement, my first date was sitting in the basement apartment at colony, playing puerto rico with Rym and Scott. I had a blood blister on my foot and it popped and I bled on the floor. It was really romantic.

Hey, hmm. I guess I count it as a date if you go out with a person, just the two of you, and there is flirty touching, like snuggling, or holding hands. Or a kiss. If they kiss you at the end, it's a date, for sure.
  • My dad always said, if two single people of opposite sex hang out (and are not gay) it's a date.
    Like, seriously, why does it become a date, versus just hanging out? In college I would go out to movie and coffee with single male friends of mine and talk about projects, but I never would have called it a date any more than I would have had the friend in question been female. Do both parties have to be conscious of the romantic implications for it to be date?
    I agree. Same goes for flirting. In the past my friends were always telling me that I flirt a lot, but I never really meant to. I always thought I was the anti-flirting girl (I avoided the guys I actually liked because I was too scared). I asked for an explanation, and they would say something like "You talked to so and so! You smiled at so and so!" etc. Apparently being a nice person is flirting.
    Hey, hmm. I guess I count it as a date if you go out with a person, just the two of you, and there is flirty touching, like snuggling, or holding hands. Or a kiss. If they kiss you at the end, it's a date, for sure.
    What about snuggling/falling asleep with someone on a bus? >_>
  • Science museum! We have several museum-type places with interactive exhibits around here. They are so much fun to go to! Plus, it's a public place and it's usually not all that expensive. It's also a good way to see if your date likes learning and is capable of having fun or being silly with geeky stuff.

I like to do things that are:

a) geeky
    b) not too expensive
    c) different from everyday stuff

Dinner out is fine, and can be fun, but it's not a terribly unique activity. I would actually much rather have someone cook dinner at home for me than go out (assuming they can cook). However, taking someone to your home on a first date may not be the wisest choice.

Cons work well too, if both of you are NOT working the con in any capacity. There is a lot of opportunity for good conversation, either between daytime events or at night in the hotel. Not that I recommend sharing hotel rooms with complete strangers you met over the internet, but it has been known to work before.
  • I met my wife in court. On our first date, I took her to a play in which I played a relatively important character. It was The Philadelphia Story and I played MaCaulay Connor, the part Jimmy Stewart played in the movie. It was kinda memorable because, in the play, I needed to kiss the woman who was playing Tracy Lord, so my wife saw me kissing another woman on our first date. After the play, we went to the cast party.

Comedy clubs can be good for first dates.
  • edited June 2009
    Almost everyone I have dated was a friend first, so the "first date" was rarely a big deal.
    Some activities I have done on dates that worked out great:
    - Horseback riding
    - Row boating on a pretty lake/river
    - Picnic (my favorite picnic date EVER was a midnight picnic with candle light and a battery powered boom box - just make sure some of the candle are citronella or bugs with ruin the whole experience)
    - Museums/Planetariums/Zoos/Aquariums
    - Live theatre
    - Laser Tag
    - Go-carts

The best "dates" are when you can do practically nothing with someone and still have a great time. This is difficult for a first date, though.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • fist date
    Tried that once. I'd go into more detail, but the trial is still pending.
  • What do people think of sexual activity on first dates?
    If everyone's into it: why not? It is well documented that boys and ladies like sex. I dunno if I'd recommend it for someone you want to pursue a long-term thing with, but even then it really comes down to the people and the situation.
    depends on a lot of circumstances...
    If everyone's into it: why not? It is well documented that boys and ladies like sex. I dunno if I'd recommend it for someone you want to pursue a long-term thing with, but even then it really comes down to the people and the situation.
    Ditto. A very personal decision.

I do think that people need to be very self-aware to make the decision to have or not have sexual activity on any date. Some people have baggage that make sexual stuff very complicated. Some people are fine with it provided there is no obligation attached. Others feel that sexual activity should be conditional. As XKCD so eloquently put it, "Holy shit, guys, people are complicated!"
    depends on a lot of circumstances...
    But does anyone have hard-and-fast rules or do they think of partners differently when sexual activity happens earlier or later in a relationship? Has anyone ever delayed sexual activity or tried to instigate earlier than their partner wanted to sexual activity? Has anyone ever felt that their relationship became sexual too soon, thus damaging the relationship? Etc.
  • I'd generally be a little wary if someone were that quick to get in my pants, but as everyone else is saying, it's personal.
  • edited June 2009
    I'd generally be a little wary if someone were that quick to get in my pants, but as everyone else is saying, it's personal.
    Exactly, it is personal. I am just interested in people's personal opinions/stances/experiences.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'd generally be a little wary if someone were that quick to get in my pants, but as everyone else is saying, it's personal.
    Exactly, it is personal. I am just interested in people's personal opinions/stances.
    I think for most people (from what I can tell at school and in the media) the train of thought tends to be that if you do it on the first date, it'll probably be a one night stand. If you wait, it will up the chances of a longer relationship.

My opinion: For me, its more like "how well do I know this person?" so you know if they are trustworthy, non-slutty, etc. You can do it on the first date and still have a long relationship, especially if you've known each other a long time.
    I wouldn't do those things. If a guy or gal is quick to do that without really knowing me then I feel uncomfortable. The most I'll do is kiss and snuggle.
  • I don't date, but I will bring up the idea of waiting until marriage. I know it's highly unpopular, but I think it un-complicates things.
    If you are gonna have sex before marriage, don't do it on the first date. I can deal with sex before marriage if you at least love the person. Even if you don't end up marrying them, if you loved them at some point, then I understand. But sex simply for the sake of sex...That seems pointless to me.