This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I picked up one of those Android phones

edited June 2009 in Everything Else
I wasn't planning on getting a new phone for a while, but when I checked this bad boy out at the Vodafone shop, I figured that I meet as well treat myself.

I got a HTC G2 Magic and its pretty sweet. I was expecting it to be a lot chunkier than it is, its pretty damn sleek. Its been pretty solid so far, the google integration is fantastic. I don't really use my phone for any music/video so I can't really comment too much on that but it seems good enough.

Only a couple of annoying things so far. The battery like isn't great, I get 2 days of normal usage on 3G/wifi which is probably ok for a smartphone, but I'm used to a normal mobile's battery life. The touch screen could be a bit more responsive and the Exchange support is non-existent forcing me to get an extra app (which to be honest isn't that big of a deal.

So anyone else thinking about picking up a new smartphone?? The Palm Pre looks pretty exciting, but I'm sure it will take forever to come to Australia. Anyone had a play with one in the flesh??

Comments

• Oh, wow. I didn't realize the Magic was out yet.

Also, your perspective on battery life is screwed up. Two days of battery life is amazingly awesome, and almost unbelievable. My guess is that you aren't using your phone enough. iPhones have to be charged nightly, and G1s have to be charged during the day.
  • I'm waiting until there's a bit more choice in the Android phone market. The G1 is crap, mostly because of the hardware, I've heard. Although, WebOS and the Pre look pretty awesome, too. Now, if only data plans were a bit cheaper...
  • So anyone else thinking about picking up a new smartphone??
    Nope. I need my phone to call and text, and do very little else. I don't need all the extra bullshit that smartphones offer.
  • Nope. I need my phone to call and text, and do very little else. I don't need all the extra bullshit that smartphones offer.
    You do little else because you can't do anything else.

You're like a person who lives in a small town and says "I don't need a car, I don't go anywhere." Sure, but once you get a car, you'll be going.
  • edited June 2009
    Nope. I need my phone to call and text, and do very little else. I don't need all the extra bullshit that smartphones offer.

You're like a person who lives in a small town and says "I don't need a car, I don't go anywhere." Sure, but once you get a car, you'll be going.
    Scott, isn't this like the total opposite of your standpoint on everything else? Normally you're all about waiting until you have a need, and then getting the thing to fill that need, like the Vanilla extension thread.

Personally, I'm back to the barebones phone that does nothing but text and call. I had a treo for a year or so, but right now, I don't miss it a bit. I didn't need to any of that shit at all.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Personally, I'm back to the barebones phone that does nothing but text and call. I had a treo for a year or so, but right now, I don't miss it a bit. I didn't need to any of that shit at all.
    Well, if you want to talk about need, you don't even need a phone at all. But what we have here is the typical knock it when you haven't tried it situation.

When tabbed browsing came out, you know how many people shrugged? Lots. Look at them now. How about all the people who shrug at Twitter and such, but have never used it.

We're having a sort of situation where the amazing uses of technologies and such are not immediately and apparently obvious. They're sort of like Gao Gai Gar. You have to watch a whole bunch of episodes before it gets good. I do not advocate the watching of Gao Gai Gar because there are plenty of other shows out there that are good from the first episode all the way to the last. However, when it comes to these sorts of things, there aren't really alternatives like that.

Not only do you have to try it before you can knock it. You have to make a serious investment before you can knock it. Of course, we have to work on lowering this barrier for entry to get more people in the gate. However, for the time being, if you haven't made that serious investment, you really aren't qualified to pass judgement.

You say you've had a Treo, but a Treo is really just a joke compared to a modern smart phone. Even the best one doesn't have a fraction of the capabilities of the iPhone, G1, or Pre. Unless you've actually had one of these phones and really invested into it, you can't extract the benefit. It's sort of like people who sign up for Facebook, don't friend anyone, then think it's useless. You've got to get into it before you know.
  • While I take an interest in smart phones, the plans and features cost far more than I am willing to pay for what they do.
  • edited June 2009
    Scott, isn't this like the total opposite of your standpoint on everything else? Normally you're all about waiting until you have a need, and then getting the thing to fill that need, like the Vanilla extension thread.
    This is true.
    False. My current phone (pantech matrix) has IM, email, (shit) internet, and some other features. Except for the calendar and calculator, fuck em.
    knock it when you haven't tried it situation.
    I'm not knocking smartphones! They are great phones/devices. I just don't have any need for them, and I don't want to pay exorbitant prices for the phones and their plans.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • When it comes to the prices for the plans, your point is very valid. A lot of people think that the iPhone 3g being only $99 is a game changer. I don't think it's going to change shit. Anybody who was going to buy one wasn't holding back to save $100. The iPhone 3g costs the same $90 a month that the 3gs costs. I know the plans technically are $70, but I have that plan, and after the fees and shit it comes to $90. Don't let them fool you.
  • When it comes to the prices for the plans, your point is very valid. A lot of people think that the iPhone 3g being only $99 is a game changer. I don't think it's going to change shit. Anybody who was going to buy one wasn't holding back to save $100. The iPhone 3g costs the same $90 a month that the 3gs costs. I know the plans technically are $70, but I have that plan, and after the fees and shit it comes to $90. Don't let them fool you.
    You vastly underestimate the stupidity of the common person. Any moron can save up $100 to buy a device. They don't look past what they have in their pocket. I think that we will see AT&T; dealing with a lot of people defaulting on their cell contracts.
  • You vastly underestimate the stupidity of the common person. Any moron can save up $100 to buy a device. They don't look past what they have in their pocket. I think that we will see AT&T; dealing with a lot of people defaulting on their cell contracts.
    Well, they actually make you pay for two months up front. They also have a bullshit activation fee. So it costs about $300 up front to get a $100 iPhone.

I think another problem is that people in the US don't realize the "true" cost of these phones. If iPhones weren't subsidized, they would be like, $700+. You can get two netbooks for that.
  • Oh, wow. I didn't realize the Magic was out yet.
    Its definitely out in Australia, not too sure about anywhere else. I pretty picked up the first one I could find, the store that I got it from only had 2 of each colour.
    Also, your perspective on battery life is screwed up. Two days of battery life is amazingly awesome, and almost unbelievable. My guess is that you aren't using your phone enough. iPhones have to be charged nightly, and G1s have to be charged during the day.
    Yeah I guess 2 days isn't too bad, I think it would probably last a bit longer if I wasn't playing with it constantly. The main problem that I see is that the battery will deteriorate over time, so presumably in a year or so it won't last through the day. Once that happens it will annoy the crap out of me. At least with this one I could just go out and get a new battery.
  • edited June 2009
    You vastly underestimate the stupidity of the common person. Any moron can save up $100 to buy a device. They don't look past what they have in their pocket. I think that we will see AT&T; dealing with a lot of people defaulting on their cell contracts.
    Well, they actually make you pay for two months up front. They also have a bullshit activation fee. So it costs about $300 up front to get a $100 iPhone.

I think another problem is that people in the US don't realize the "true" cost of these phones. If iPhones weren't subsidized, they would be like, $700+. You can get two netbooks for that.
    Makes me cringe whenever someone loses a cell phone and just goes "Oh, drat! Oh well, didn't cost me anything!"

And I still say the market for smartphones is much smaller than the average smartphone user thinks it is. I, personally, have an expired contract on Sprint, and that Palm Pre looks mighty tempting. But for $20 extra a month (plus the cost of the phone) what do I really get? A device that allows me to waste more time checking my facebook/this forum, that will help me when I'm lost, and play games. I think I can resist that...

EDIT: Had more, but deleted it. I think I read something wrong.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • edited April 2010
    I got the Samsung Moment last night (contract was up) and I have to say I really like this thing.

Any recommended apps?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Sherpa.
  • edited April 2010
    I got the Samsung Moment last night (contract was up) and I have to say I really like this thing.
    You do? My co-worker got it, and regrets it mightily. It's pretty much the absolute shittiest Android phone still available. It also runs an old and buggy version of Android, and you need hacks to update it. The Moment 2 is coming very soon. Really bad move. It's only saving grace is the keyboard is good.
    Any recommended apps?
    I haven't whipped this rant out often enough, so here we go.

If you are asking for apps, you are doing it wrong. If you are about to ask "Hey what apps should I get?" just shut up. You don't go to the store and say "Hey, what should I buy?" You have a need for something, then you go to the store and get it. Don't just go looking for apps to install. Look at yourself, not the app store. Figure out what you need. Then specifically search for apps that fulfill your needs.

This is yet another major reason that many other people's computers and phones are slowl, crashy, and sucky where mine are perfect and never have problems. Don't just go looking for shit to install for the hell of it. Don't even look at the app store at all. Just use the phone. Then when you find yourself wanting to do a specific thing that the phone can not already do, then and only then should you seek out a specific app to fulfill your need. This applies to all computing devices that allow installation of software.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Look at yourself, not the app store.
    There is no spoon app.
  • If you are asking for apps, you are doing it wrong. If you are about to ask "Hey what apps should I get?" just shut up. You don't go to the store and say "Hey, what should I buy?" You have a need for something, then you go to the store and get it. Don't just go looking for apps to install. Look at yourself, not the app store. Figure out what you need. Then specifically search for apps that fulfill your needs.

This is yet another major reason that many other people's computers and phones are slowl, crashy, and sucky where mine are perfect and never have problems. Don't just go looking for shit to install for the hell of it. Don't even look at the app store at all. Just use the phone. Then when you find yourself wanting to do a specific thing that the phone can not already do, then and only then should you seek out a specific app to fulfill your need. This applies to all computing devices that allow installation of software.
    ^What he said
  • Don't even look at the app store at all.
    While I agree to a large extent, sometimes you might not think of all the things your phone could do that you would want it to do if you knew it were a possibility. Compare Everywhere is a good example; I never would've thought that you could use the Droid's camera as a barcode scanner, so the thought of having a shopping price comparison app never would have occurred to me.
  • Also browser tabs. So, the question is what to do when you don't know this killer app exists. What's more, you don't even know you need it.
  • So, the question is what to do when you don't know this killer app exists. What's more, you don't even know you need it.
    If there's no buzz about it, it's probably not worth using yet. Being even moderately aware of the world prevents that situation.
  • edited April 2010
    Thewhaleshark has it right, bar code app is great.

I already found my main apps (battery meter, facebook, task manager). Most everything else is preinstalled. So, I'm looking for usefull apps I don't know about.

I also love how android gives all apps a 24 hoor tasting period.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited April 2010
    I have found apps through the app store, like a free legal dictionary, that have never gotten any buzz yet are useful to me. Perhaps what you mean is rather than randomly browsing the app store, you should do searches related to things you think you might need. That includes asking around about apps. For instance, a search of "knitting" found me two killer apps that I use on a regular basis when I knit. (I point out that these two apps, like any app that isn't widely applicable, doesn't generally get much publicity.) However, ExitStrategy was found only after talking to Moe, because there are a bajillion subway map apps that come up when you search.

As for Rym's "being aware of the world" theory, that only works if everything you would use an app for is mainstream.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • edited April 2010
    Thewhaleshark has it right, bar code app is great.
    You know what would be great? And I'd pay money for it? A robust inventory tracking app that utilized the barcode scanner. Scan a barcode on, say, a case of beer that I brewed, and allow me to input all sorts of relevant information. Then, I can track the movement of that inventory in and out of my system. That'd be pretty neat.

EDIT: Hey, I just found one. Neat.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I've thought about making a barcode app so that when you scan a beer, it brings up it's relevant page on BA.
  • I would like a shopping list app where I can scan bar codes as I use things up so that I know what I need from the store. As an added bonus the app should scan the local food stores and find me the best prices, breaking my lists down by store.
  • I've thought about making a barcode app so that when you scan a beer, it brings up it's relevant page on BA.
    That is precisely the beer app I want. It doesn't exist anywhere else. Do eet. Do eeeeeeeet. I can't tell you how many times I'm in the beverage center staring at an unknown beer thinking "I wonder what BA has to say about this?"
  • You know what would be great? And I'd pay money for it? A robust inventory tracking app that utilized the barcode scanner.
    EDIT: Hey, I just found one. Neat.
    TELL ME. PLEASE!!! This is one app I know I will be using daily when I get an android phone.
  • TELL ME. PLEASE!!! This is one app I know I will be using daily when I get an android phone.
    I didn't buy it yet, because I don't strictly need it just now. It's called "In Stock - Regular." I'm going to research it a bit.
  • Personally, I think you'd be better off with an actual barcode or RFID scanner. The droid's camera is mighty slow.