This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I picked up one of those Android phones

Comments

• Personally, I think you'd be better off with an actual barcode or RFID scanner. The droid's camera is mighty slow.
    Well, here's my thinking.

That app isn't what I wanted. Very basic.

I want an app that basically functions as a data input frontend for some Google docs spreadsheets. Scan an item, pop up the appropriate Google doc, and modify information therein.

I could just get a proper barcode scanner, sure, but they cost money, and if the Droid can do it, why not just use it?

An RFID scanner would be another thing entirely though, especially if I do wind up buying lots of those RFID-enabled plastic kegs.
  • Looks like bar code scanner has a problem with codes on round containers.
  • Looks like bar code scanner has a problem with codes on round containers.
    It's tricky. You have to hold the round container and the phone very, very steady.

I plan on barcoding entire cases of beer, since that's how they're tracked for excise task purposes. So, flat surfaces will be my friend.
  • I would like a shopping list app where I can scan bar codes as I use things up so that I know what I need from the store. As an added bonus the app should scan the local food stores and find me the best prices, breaking my lists down by store.
    Any device that offered that app. and allowed me to scan in my coupons for tracking would almost be worth their crazy prices. Almost...
  • It should also scour the net for coupons for scanned products and email those coupons to me for printing at home.
  • Anyone have experience with Cyanogenmod in general, or on the Nexus 4 specifically?
  • That is a thing that I have recently experienced; what do you wanna know?
  • Starfox said:

Anyone have experience with Cyanogenmod in general, or on the Nexus 4 specifically?

Ive had tons and tons and tons of problems with Cyanogenmod. Mostly with it doing shit like not connecting to wireless data anymore, or randomly breaking my camera, or shit like that.
  • Funny, I've never had a problem with CyanogenMod. It's my version of choice.
  • In the few months since I started using it, I haven't had any problems, and the battery life is significantly better.
  • I have stock 4.4.4, and I usually follow the Apreche school of "don't fuck with it." However, I do love freedom, so I'm thinking about switching over. Neito, are you nexus 4?
  • I am. Main reason I switched was so I could deny app permissions.
  • Yeah that's mostly what I want it for.
  • Starfox said:

I have stock 4.4.4, and I usually follow the Apreche school of "don't fuck with it." However, I do love freedom, so I'm thinking about switching over. Neito, are you nexus 4?

Galaxy S3.
  • I have an old Nexus 4.

I really like the new Sony z3, but it's not stock android...
  • Probs gonna get a Note 4 next. Cause VR and stuffs.
  • edited October 2014
    Rym said:

And it's Sony...

Off topic here, but Scott, did you "upgrade" the forum again? Clicking quote takes me away from the thread to some other page with weird CSS and a just a comment box. Every button at the top is bold, but clicking them doesn't seem to do anything. Even as I type this, I'm not sure it will actually be posted :O

Edit: and clearing my cache seems to have rectified it. Wasn't even letting me edit the post before I did that though.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Rym said:

I have an old Nexus 4.

Nexus 6 is coming out soon or Moto X.
    Doesn't have the water proof stuff and camera of the Sony though.
  • I am very worried that the rumors of Nexus 6 being a phablet will be true. My Nexus 5 issues (which I've griped about plenty on these forums I'm sure) have me eager to upgrade, but I'd like to avoid huge phone territory if possible.

If Nexus 6 is huge, then it will be Moto X for me. That would be the smallest phone I've owned since the iPhone 4S.
  • Yeah nexus 6 is 5.2" from leaks, will have to double check. Otherwise just get a Google Play edition of whatever is coming out.

I would recommend the Moto X.
  • I've had a nexus 5 for a year now and I'm in love with it. But I am really interested in the Nexus 6! The world seems to be a different place when you don't have a contract and can just get a new phone whenever.
  • sK0pe said:

Yeah nexus 6 is 5.2" from leaks, will have to double check. Otherwise just get a Google Play edition of whatever is coming out.

I would recommend the Moto X.

Oops Nexus 6 is 5.9" however it is only slightly wider than the iPhone 6 for real world comparisons because the screen takes up more of the front (as it should). It will also have one of the higher PPI's at 496 ppi.

My friend has the Sony Xperia Z3, it's a very nice size and has great design plus battery life. Main problems for me were the Sony skin which is not as bad as Samsung's Touchwiz but not as useful as HTC's Sense.

The 4k camera is pretty good too but didn't get to see it work in low light.
  • Free movies -

You can get Gravity for free if you have a Nexus 5 through the Play movie app right now or

If you're on another Android phone you will get Sean the Sheep : The Big Chase

• Pulled the trigger on the Moto X Pure Edition. LOVE IT.

It's still a big boy, but it's the smallest phone that was available, and the smallest I've owned since an iPhone 4S. It's stock Android, plus the Motorola software, but none of the carrier-specific software bullshit. The Moto features are all great!

It's an actual improvement over stock Android. Love how it improves handling of notifications (and battery life improvement from less screen turn-on time during notification checks). Double-twists to activate camera is nice. The camera app itself is superior. The driving mode/sleep mode stuff is nice.
  • Work gave me a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. Why did Sammy have to screw up stock Android???
  • HMTKSteve said:

Work gave me a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. Why did Sammy have to screw up stock Android???

Because the tides in Africa are continental.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Work gave me a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. Why did Sammy have to screw up stock Android???

Are you allowed to root it (Samsung makes their phones very easy to root and return to default).
  • sK0pe said:

HMTKSteve said:

Are you allowed to root it (Samsung makes their phones very easy to root and return to default).
    Depending on your phone and if you can find a ROM, at least.

• It is a corporate phone with corporate apps. No modifications allowed.
  • What do you all think about the OnePlus One phone? Anybody know anybody who got a Oneplus One phone? The whole invite deal seem really dumb but I do like the phone and the price is right.