This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Yeah. How stupid are black people for wanting food stamps instead of a paycheck? Good thing he is there to educate them.

The most offensive thing about Gingrich's racism is that he sincerely thinks it isn't racist.
  • Would his words be perceived as racist if they were spoken by a black man?
  • edited January 2012
    Yeah. How stupid are black people for wanting food stamps instead of a paycheck? Good thing he is there to educate them.

The most offensive thing about Gingrich's racism is that he sincerely thinks it isn't racist.
    How hilariously awful would it be if we turned into a bi-polar nation. We elect a black president, then turn around and elect a horribly racist president.
    Would his words be perceived as racist if they were spoken by a black man?
    I'd think so. Herman Cain was borderline racist. Moreso, though, the words would be hideously offensive.

Seriously, are you defending the things Gingrich has said?
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Would his words be perceived as racist if they were spoken by a black man?
    Yes. The idea that, given a choice between a paycheck and food stamps, anyone would voluntarily choose food stamps is incredibly stupid. The idea that black people make this choice because they don't know any better is extremely racist, regardless of who proposes it.

• Don't forget about Frothy Santorum and his love for the "Bla" people too.

• Look up the following quotation:
    "John Marshall has made his decision; now let him enforce it! "
    While the sentiment about the limits court's powers is probably correct, Jackson never said this. In truth, the Supreme Court's ruling only appeared to be a victory for the Cherokee; the decision said the state of Georgia couldn't remove them from their lands, that was a power reserved by the Federal Government.
  • I'm reminded of how Bill Cosby was treated when he spoke out about black's keeping themselves down.
  • I'm reminded of how Bill Cosby was treated when he spoke out about black's keeping themselves down.
    Can you elaborate?
  • Google "2004 Cosby naacp"
  • edited January 2012
    I understand that, and I do know how to use Google and the internet at large. What I'm curious about is what you think is similar about these events. Do you equate Gingrich with Bill Cosby? Although they're both comedians, I'm not sure they really compare since Gingrich is an unintentional comedian.
    Post edited by SquadronROE on
  • Bill Cosby did get a lot of shit back then too, he also didn't quite say that kids should train as janitors...

Usually though members of a particular community are able to make statements that others from the outside would be crucified for. Just the way it goes. Same goes with families, if your with your in-laws usually you want to avoid being critical and let them deal with their own problems, I see way too many in-laws ostracized because they spoke up and told too much truth :-p
  • I like this article.

Why are so many of my peers voting against their own self interest? From what I can tell, it's laid out pretty simply.
  • I like this article.

Why are so many of my peers voting against their own self interest? From what I can tell, it's laid out pretty simply.

"...most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich than face the reality of being poor. "
  • "...most men with nothing would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich than face the reality of being poor. "
    Quite well put. I suppose I already know why, it just pisses me off. The combination of thinking that they will eventually be rich and thus must protect that eventuality plus the fact that social issues are played to, and the other side is demonized. So... politics.

It just makes me sad and angry. Sangry.
  • As opposed to happy and angry. Hangry.
  • I thought that was "hungry and angry."
  • I thought that was "hungry and angry."
    I think you're just supposed to say "hungry" really mean-like. It's confusing though.

Apparently ODing on gummy bears turns you into an asshole.
  • man, I am really hoping Newt Gingrich pulls off South Carolina, so we can move closer to a broker convention!
  • Santorum Uses CUM (Conservatives United Moneybomb) to Grease the Hinges of War Chest.
    Oh my god it's not just a photoshop that's actually happening. I just can't stop laughing.

• My Facebook feed is full of misleading charts from both sides of the aisle. Bipartisan idiocy and group think for the win!
  • My Facebook feed is full of misleading charts from both sides of the aisle. Bipartisan idiocy and group think for the win!
    I got rid of most of those people on my feed, so it's just random stuff. Thankfully (or maybe not thankfully) most of the people I know aren't paying attention to the debates.
  • What's really amusing is when I see the same data massaged by opposing viewpoints to bolster their claims. Most often one side is closer to being right while the other chooses a more 'advantageous' method to display those numbers (dollars, GDP, percents, etc...)
  • But of course you have a monopoly on the REAL truth.
  • I wish! I do know propaganda and misleading information.
  • Even if the entire truth is not known, being able to recognize sly propaganda when you see it is still really, really useful.
  • Then there are the awesome political posts:
    Santorum just said "not just congress" and Buster asked "what's nacho congress?". I think Nacho Congress is a phrase that should spread....its very catchy!
    Politics is the mind killer.