This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Technically abstinence is 100% effective.
    Is it considered abstinence if you fall off of it?
    Is not taking the pill or failing to wear a condom? So no.

Is it considered abstinence if you fall off of it?
    Is not taking the pill or failing to wear a condom? So no.

Then it is 100%.
  • edited January 2012
    Technically abstinence is 100% effective.
    I can think of a couple a billion people who don't get to sleep in on Sundays who would disagree.

But seriously, teaching abstinence to teenagers is like counseling fire to tone it down on all the heat.

Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited January 2012
    Technically abstinence is 100% effective.
    I can think of a couple a billion people who don't get to sleep in on Sundays who would disagree.

Those folks stopped using abstinence at some point.

Abstinence did fail one time... but that was an act of God ;)
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on

Those folks stopped using abstinence at some point.

Abstinence did fail one time... but that was an act of God ;)
  • Damn... Obama is on fire tonight. He sounds more like a Republican than a Democrat.
  • Damn... Obama is on fire tonight. He sounds more like a Republican than a Democrat.
    Are you finally coming around to Obama is the Best Modern Republican president ever meme we've been pushing for ever?
    Are you finally coming around to Obama is the Best Modern Republican president ever meme we've been pushing for ever?
    While his goals sound Republican his means do not. When he starts using logical falacies to demagogue his opponents he loses me.

While his goals sound Republican his means do not. When he starts using logical falacies to demagogue his opponents he loses me.

Source please.
  • Read the speech.
  • Read the speech.
    No, I want to know what you've identified as logical fallacy.

• Eric Cantor is not amused. image
    Some people in this world you don't have to meet before knowing they're a total asshat.
  • In the next few weeks, I will sign an Executive Order clearing away the red tape that slows down too many construction projects. But you need to fund these projects. Take the money we're no longer spending at war, use half of it to pay down our debt, and use the rest to do some nation-building right here at home.
    This line is kind of funny because the XL Pipeline was both "shovel ready" and paid for with private funds yet it is not going to be. This issue caused a huge rift in the unions because they were largely going to be union jobs. I recently read something about the Koch brothers benefiting from the XL pipeline and Buffett benefiting from it not being built... weird...

There is also the issue of the war funding coming from borrowed money.
    Second, no American company should be able to avoid paying its fair share of taxes by moving jobs and profits overseas. From now on, every multinational company should have to pay a basic minimum tax. And every penny should go towards lowering taxes for companies that choose to stay here and hire here.
    Unless the companies are doing something illegal this is BS. If a company (say Heinz) builds a ketchup plant in India to make ketchup for sale in India why should that money be taxed as income in the US? Don't demagogue companies for working under the existing rules. Also why does Obama want to get rid of the existing tax incentives for manufacturing in the USA, you know, the ones that he calls a subsidy for Big Oil?
    Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense.
    I'm surprised this one made it into the speech. While Buffett pays less as a percentage of his income in taxes he pays a higher dollar amount than his secretary.
    When Americans talk about folks like me paying my fair share of taxes, it's not because they envy the rich. It's because they understand that when I get tax breaks I don't need and the country can't afford, it either adds to the deficit, or somebody else has to make up the difference - like a senior on a fixed income; or a student trying to get through school; or a family trying to make ends meet.
    False Dichotomy. No where does he even suggest that spending could be cut. It's either the very rich (such as Obama) or the working poor who have to feed the federal coffers
    The greatest blow to confidence in our economy last year didn't come from events beyond our control. It came from a debate in Washington over whether the United States would pay its bills or not. Who benefited from that fiasco?
    The debate was not simply over paying the bills it was over borrowing money to pay bills.

The vision he lays out is a good one and I find myself in agreement with about 85% of what he wants to achieve. Where I have a problem with him is the means with which he wants to use to achieve these goals.

I also found it funny that he had Steve Job's wife in the audience when he was talking about tech companies and manufacturing in China. I was expecting him to point out that Apple offshores its manufacturing to China yet he didn't say anything. In fact Apple had a very good profit margin of 23.95% in 2011 compared to evil Exxon Mobil with a much smaller profit margin of only 9.75%. How much of Apple's profit margin is due to manufacturing overseas? How much of that profit margin would be eaten up by moving manufacturing back to the USA?
  • Interesting analysis, and it's good to hear the other side of the debate. Regardless of how close we are to being of the same mind anyway.
  • I also forgot the auto bailout strawman and how he conveniently left off the fact that Ford declined bailout funds. Opposition to the auto bailouts was not led by a "let them fail" attitude but by a "let the system work as designed" attitude. Those bailouts went against existing contract law and screwed over investors. Investors like old folks on fixed incomes and pension funds.
  • I also forgot the auto bailout strawman and how he conveniently left off the fact that Ford declined bailout funds. Opposition to the auto bailouts was not led by a "let them fail" attitude but by a "let the system work as designed" attitude. Those bailouts went against existing contract law and screwed over investors. Investors like old folks on fixed incomes and pension funds.
    I'm very happy to hear his ideas for the tech industry though. I like that idea, and the idea that we should push for better education to get people hired in high tech industries.

Also, I took some classes at Central Piedmont Community College! Funny, it was a crap hole of a community college when I went there.
  • Yup, I'm 100% behind the tech and community college partnership program.
  • Ah, I thought so. Once again your grasp of what a logical fallacy is evades reality. You conveniently labeled points with which you disagree as "logical fallacies" and misidentified one as a false dichotomy.
  • edited January 2012
    The keystone pipeline has way more concerns then just a bit of red tape, just a note on that one.

Also on the autobail out, Ford declined the funds because at that time they didn't need it, but I remember Ford asking them to bail out the other car manufactures because if they both went under Ford would have faced a situation where many of the mutal part manufactures would have gone under causing them to most likely then need a bail out.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/ (it didn't stop them from being critical after they lobbied for it though :-p)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Ah, I thought so. Once again your grasp of what a logical fallacy is evades reality. You conveniently labeled points with which you disagree as "logical fallacies" and misidentified one as a false dichotomy.
    I only labeled one point as a logical fallacy and it is a false choice. There are more than two options available but is framed as there only being two options .

• I can't help but think that the thing going through every congressman's mind during this speech is "I need to be the first to clap/boo, that will get me more votes!"
  • yea, while I didn't watch the speech (on a business trip) I heard Scott Brown clapped more then any of the other republicans which makes sense since he's running for reelection in a very liberal state.
  • edited January 2012
    Ah, I thought so. Once again your grasp of what a logical fallacy is evades reality. You conveniently labeled points with which you disagree as "logical fallacies" and misidentified one as a false dichotomy.
    I only labeled one point as a logical fallacy and it is a false choice. There are more than two options available but is framed as there only being two options .
    Your antecedent was about "all the logical fallacies." Even the "false dichotomy" is incorrect. Your citation does not present an exclusionary either/or scenario but compares two extremes to vilify the widening income gap. Please show me where Obama indicated that there is no middle class.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Fuck America, I can't wait to move to a nice European country where they never do anything stupid. Like Sweden.

Oh wait, they have a law that forces sterilization of Transgender people...
  • Hey, you have to put up with a little bit of Nazism if you want to live in Sweden, I wouldn't let that get you down too much :-p
  • It's cool; I'm the right color, so Scandinavia would work out fine for me.

/goddammitsomuch
  • Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense.
    I'm surprised this one made it into the speech. While Buffett pays less as a percentage of his income in taxes he pays a higher dollar amount than his secretary.
    Percentage is what matters, not the dollar amount. Most Americans believe in a progressive tax rate, you don't, that's fine, but right now most people believe the rich should be paying more.
  • Indeed. Mitt Romney paid 13.9 percent on his vast income last year. I paid 32 percent. That's a bit incongruous. It gets worse when you consider that I don't have the advantage of additional millions sitting in untaxed offshore accounts (where, by the way, it is doing nothing for so-called Republican job-creation efforts that they claim trickle-down Reaganomics produces).
  • Don't forget that the vast majority of his income didn't actually come from any meaningful addition to our society.
  • Now, you can call this class warfare all you want. But asking a billionaire to pay at least as much as his secretary in taxes? Most Americans would call that common sense.
    Percentage is what matters, not the dollar amount. Most Americans believe in a progressive tax rate, you don't, that's fine, but right now most people believe the rich should be paying more.
    If Tick's quote is exact, then I agree with him in at least that the wording of that sentence should not have made it into the speech because it's saying something slightly differently than what should be said. Sure, it's an extremely minor quibble, and the difference is obvious to anyone that cares... but it's still bad form.