This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Why is the salary of a preacher tax free? Do all charitable organizations have tax exempt jobs?
  • edited October 2010
    Apparently they do pay income tax

However the church doesn't and well if the Church does all the expending for the priest then a majority of the benefits a priest would get would be tax free..

I.E. that yacht is the churches.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Q-If God created the world 6,000 years ago or so, why are stars millions of light years away?

A-Brendon, what a question! Yes, we know from the dates God gives us in the Bible that He did create the whole universe about 6,000 years ago. When we hear the term light-year, we need to realize it is not a measure of time but a measure of distance, telling us how far away something is. Distant stars and galaxies might be millions of light-years away, but that doesn’t mean that it took millions of years for the light to get here, it just means it is really far away!
    The stupid, it burns.
  • but that doesn’t mean that it took millions of years for the light to get here
    Oh wow.
  • Well, it's possible that the light was created en route to the Earth ^_~
  • That is interesting. When I helped my local church with their accounting a few years back the pastor's pay was 100% tax free.

What about the tax exempt status of churched owned property?
  • Q-If God created the world 6,000 years ago or so, why are stars millions of light years away?

A-Brendon, what a question! Yes, we know from the dates God gives us in the Bible that He did create the whole universe about 6,000 years ago. When we hear the term light-year, we need to realize it is not a measure of time but a measure of distance, telling us how far away something is. Distant stars and galaxies might be millions of light-years away, but that doesn’t mean that it took millions of years for the light to get here, it just means it is really far away!
    The stupid, it burns.
    Wasn't God living on Pluto back then? So, 6,000 Pluto years is how many Earth years?
  • but that doesn’t mean that it took millions of years for the light to get here
    Oh wow.
    WhatIdon'teven...
  • That is interesting. When I helped my local church with their accounting a few years back the pastor's pay was 100% tax free.

What about the tax exempt status of churched owned property?
    I'm sure there is some way you can keep the funds as church money and use the money as a expense account or something.
  • edited October 2010
    What about property taxes? Why is church owned property tax exempt? They still use town services so why do they get a free ride?

Do all charities get to ignore property taxes?

According to the logic in this article the media should also be tax exempt because taxing the media is akin to taxing free speech! link
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • What about property taxes? Why is church owned property tax exempt? They still use town services so why do they get a free ride?
    They shouldn't, and there is no rational argument that they should.
  • What about property taxes? Why is church owned property tax exempt? They still use town services so why do they get a free ride?

Do all charities get to ignore property taxes?
    For non-profits it depends on the state.

Tax benefits for Churches

Ugh, Steve, Google these things I need to get work done :-p
    Oh wow.
    WhatIdon'teven...
    The speed of light and relativity are just theories.
  • Was at a luncheon being held for a local state representative and sitting with a few old-school Democrats and Republicans. When the subject about "tea party" candidates like Angle and O'Donnell were brought up, a retired state attorney general had the best line. "Well, when you have stupid people voting, you get stupid politicians."
  • "Well, when you have stupid people voting, you get stupid politicians."
    Yea, that pretty much sums it up.
  • Everything has gone to hell since we let non-land owners vote.
  • edited October 2010
    Stupid that burns like a thousand exploding suns.
    Here are some gems from the article:
    “It’s a flat-out lie,” Mr. Dennison said in an interview after the debate, adding that he had based his view on the preaching of Rush Limbaugh and the teaching of Scripture. “I read my Bible,” Mr. Dennison said. “He made this earth for us to utilize.”
    “This so-called climate science is just ridiculous,” said Kelly Khuri, founder of the Clark County Tea Party Patriots. “I think it’s all cyclical.”
    “Carbon regulation, cap and trade, it’s all just a money-control avenue,” Ms. Khuri added. “Some people say I’m extreme, but they said the John Birch Society was extreme, too.”
    Googling the John Birch Society, you would expect to find an example of an organization that was considered extreme during it's time, but pretty tame or acceptable by today's standards. You'd be wrong if you thought that. I stopped reading with any effort after the part where they opposed civil rights because of communists. Yes, you read that right.
    “They’re trying to use global warming against the people,” Ms. Deaton said. “It takes way our liberty.”
    “Being a strong Christian,” she added, “I cannot help but believe the Lord placed a lot of minerals in our country and it’s not there to destroy us.”
    Anyone who doesn't think the Tea Party suffers from a dangerous level of stupid is incorrect.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Everything has gone to hell since we let non-land owners vote.
    In a sense, I think this is true.

In Ohio, and I'm sure in other states, schools are funded through property taxes. Levies are imposed by the electorate to increase those tax amounts as needed, and property owners -- not apartment-dwellers or renters -- must foot the education burden.

But this is an example of the classic "No taxation without representation" turned on its head. Theoretically, it should be, "No representation without taxation." Here's what I mean: the levies that go before the electorate can be voted on by non-property owners, who cannot be financially affected by the outcome of the vote. In effect, renters are voting to levy a tax burden on property owners.

I think this should be illegal.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2010
    In Ohio, and I'm sure in other states, schools are funded through property taxes. Levies are imposed by the electorate to increase those tax amounts as needed, and property owners -- not apartment-dwellers or renters -- must foot the education burden.
    Renters pay property tax indirectly through their landlords... What do you think the property tax is on my entire building? Do you think my rent isn't affected by that?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Stupid that burns like a thousand exploding suns.
    Here are some gems from the article:
    “It’s a flat-out lie,” Mr. Dennison said in an interview after the debate, adding that he had based his view on the preaching of Rush Limbaugh and the teaching of Scripture. “I read my Bible,” Mr. Dennison said. “He made this earth for us to utilize.”
    “This so-called climate science is just ridiculous,” said Kelly Khuri, founder of the Clark County Tea Party Patriots. “I think it’s all cyclical.”
    “Carbon regulation, cap and trade, it’s all just a money-control avenue,” Ms. Khuri added. “Some people say I’m extreme, but they said the John Birch Society was extreme, too.”
    Googling the John Birch Society, you would expect to find an example of an organization that was considered extreme during it's time, but pretty tame or acceptable by today's standards.imageYou'd be wrong if you thought that.I stopped reading with any effort after the part where they opposed civil rights because of communists. Yes, you read that right.
    “They’re trying to use global warming against the people,” Ms. Deaton said. “It takes way our liberty.”
    “Being a strong Christian,” she added, “I cannot help but believe the Lord placed a lot of minerals in our country and it’s not there to destroy us.”
    Anyone who doesn't think the Tea Party suffers from a dangerous level of stupid is incorrect.My heart...It's tight... I think I'm going to die from the stupidity....
  • Do you think my rent isn't affected by that?
    It's not necessarily, though. If rent were directly pegged to property tax rates, that'd be one thing. However, rents can and do change (or not change) completely independently of property tax rates. It's really up to the landlord to determine that. When was the last time a landlord lowered your rent because his property taxes decreased?
    I think this should be illegal.
    We did the feudalism thing before. It didn't work so well. Well, OK, it was great for the nobility, but not so much for the peasantry.
  • edited October 2010
    Everything has gone to hell since we let non-land owners vote.
    In a sense, I think this is true.
    If only there was a way to prevent idiots from voting that would not infringe upon their rights and could not be easily abused. Maybe something that would be self-selecting would work. For example, maybe the local arena could have a free, day-long tractor pull/monster truck show on election day.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • maybe the local arena could have a free, day-long tractor pull/monster truck show on election day.
    I would independently organize and finance this... if the laziest voters didn't already vote by absentee ballot.
  • How is the landowner voting issue any different than voters who don't pay income tax supporting higher tax rates for those who do?

Rym is right about property taxes, it is built into the rent. It would be interesting to see if local mil rates would go down if landlords were able to itemize their leases to show the renter how much of their rent goes to property taxes. Would renters vote differently?
  • How is the landowner voting issue any different than voters who don't pay income tax supporting higher tax rates for those who do?
    it isn't.
  • it isn't.
    So only the rich should have the right to vote? Everything the government does costs money.
  • it isn't.
    So only the rich should have the right to vote? Everything the government does costs money.
    That's what Jason appears to be saying.
  • it isn't.
    Hay guyz, I think Rym should buy us all new computers, right? Everybody vote for it, and he has to do it. And he bears all of the risk in this special election, while we bear none! TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY, HOOOOOOOOO!
  • it isn't.
    Hay guyz, I think Rym should buy us all new computers, right? Everybody vote for it, and he has to do it. And he bears all of the risk in this special election, while we bear none! TYRANNY OF THE MAJORITY, HOOOOOOOOO!
    I think I can get behind this.