This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Republican? Just scream and lie.

Comments

• Steve, if you're again claiming 'Devil's Advocate' and somehow actually trying to play the part, you need to stop. Not because arguments are bad, but because your points are so asinine, so stupid, and refuted with evidence time and tome again, that the arguments have no weight or purpose. They don't make you look like someone playing devil's advocate, they make you look stupid.
  • Yay, more stupid, angry conservatives:
    Miller knows his disability payments are covered through a government-run plan.

"I'm not against all government programs," he said, "just those where they are stepping in where they don't have to step in. Their main job is to take care of those citizens who don't have a voice."
    Miller, who said he learned of the town hall meeting from a newspaper item, likes to watch Fox News and enjoys commentators Glenn Beck and Sean Hannity.

He said he thinks Obama wants to set himself up as a dictator for life.

"He has set up a shadow government and plans on crossing the Rubicon," Miller said.
    In other news,
    Jon Stewart pwns Glenn Beck
  • edited August 2009
    Irony, thy name is Hitler comparisons.
    Stay classy, Republicans.

EDIT: I'm really curious: do people like that woman think they're helping?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Irony, thy name is Hitler comparisons.
    Well, you gotta admire that passion. Because, as you know, those conservatives have lots and lots of passion. /sarcasm.

EDIT: I'm really curious: do people like that woman think they're helping?
    Do people like that really think all that much? People who throw around Nazi comparisons so frivilously need to be thrown back to 1939 Europe with a JEW patch slapped onto their shirts. They'll be begging to return to America's current "Hitler". Idiots.

But that video made me lol.
    Well, you gotta admire that passion. Because, as you know, those conservatives have lots and lots of passion. /sarcasm.
    Yeah, I have no idea what it's like to be passionate, being a liberal and all that.
  • Kind of on topic with a geeky twist: Hitler's Fifth Column zombies easily dispatched by Captain America.

The phone call from Hitler at the end is priceless: "Hello, Lord of Death? How are tings going?" I'm gonna be laughing about that for a long time.
    I like that these people are standing up to the expansion of our Federal Government, but where the fuck were these people when the Republicans were starting a war and curtailing civil liberties.

Fucking fair-weather Republicans.
  • Fucking fair-weather Republicans.
    Until the Republican party drops all of its socially regressive and religious platforms, it is basically anathema to most reasonable people regardless of their fiscally conservative economic views.
  • edited August 2009
    regardless of their fiscally conservative economic views.
    That many of the elected Republican officials don't espouse any more unless it is to destroy social policies that go against their social agenda.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Until the Republican party drops all of its socially regressive and religious platforms, it is basically anathema to most reasonable people regardless of their fiscally conservative economic views.
    Completely disagree, almost every Republican I know is one because of fiscal conservativism.

I break the Republican party into two groups.

The first group I call True Republicans, these are socially moderate/progressive and fiscally conservative. Above almost everything else they hate the government having a hand in their wages, hence why anytime someone says "tax cuts" they cheer. I also find them to be fiercely self sufficient and dislike having their hard earned money handed out to people who didn't work hard for it, hence they oppose social wellfare prorgrams. They vote Republican because they are told they will be given these things or because they detest the Democrats and their using tax dollars to make life more "fair."

The second group I call Conservatives, also Crazies for short. These are the people whom oppose social equality for gays and want intelligent design taught in class rooms. They have a warped perspective of what they once thought America to be and think everything wrong has been caused by Democrats, Hippies, and evil Communism. In short these people are nuts. I find their vocalness to be disproportionate to the party as whole.

Of all the Republicans I know, I've yet to encounter a Crazy. Admittedly I've only live in the northeast and Georgia, maybe the craziness gets stronger in the middle of no where (like Alaska.)
  • That many of the elected Republican officials don't espouse any more unless it is to destroy social policies that go against their social agenda.
    Our elected officials do seem to be pretty awful.
  • edited August 2009
    The first group I call True Republicans, these are socially moderate/progressive and fiscally conservative. Above almost everything else they hate the government having a hand in their wages, hence why anytime someone says "tax cuts" they cheer. I also find them to be fiercely self sufficient and dislike having their hard earned money handed out to people who didn't work hard for it, hence they oppose social wellfare prorgrams. They vote Republican because they are told they will be given these things or because they detest the Democrats and their using tax dollars to make life more "fair."

The second group I call Conservatives, also Crazies for short. These are the people whom oppose social equality for gays and want intelligent design taught in class rooms. They have a warped perspective of what they once thought America to be and think everything wrong has been caused by Democrats, Hippies, and evil Communism. In short these people are nuts. I find their vocalness to be disproportionate to the party as whole.
    This is just a no true Scotsman argument.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • This is just a no true Scotsman argument.
    My observations are what they are what they are. I wasn't trying to imply the conservatives were less Republican than "true Republicans," but I can see how the wording could be confusing. It's just a box you check on a voter registration, it is what it is. I used True Republican mostly because of a lack of a good name for that group.

I think the reason that such intolerant views are allowed to continue in the Republican part is because most Republicans don't care about such things.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2009
    I think the reason that such intolerant views are allowed to continue in the Republican part is because most Republicans don't care about such things.
    The only things that matter for a political party are its platform, and what it actually does in government. Regardless of sentiment, the Republican party has increased spending, increased the size of the federal government, and held a reactionary social policy.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The only things that matter for a political party are it's platform, and what it actually does in government. Regardless of sentiment, the Republican party has increased spending, increased the size of the federal government, and held a reactionary social policy.
    All true.

So where do I go if the Republicans don't have what I want and I don't want to drink the Democratic Kool-Aid?
  • edited August 2009
    So where do I go if the Republicans don't have what I want and I don't want to drink the Democratic Kool-Aid?
    Start a new party, join one of the many other parties, or work with your 'true' Republicans to reform the party.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • The only things that matter for a political party are it's platform, and what it actually does in government. Regardless of sentiment, the Republican party has increased spending, increased the size of the federal government, and held a reactionary social policy.
    All true.

Third Parties or create your own or take over your local republican party. Change happens on the local level and will spring up from there. If you are not willing to do the work, then you have to stop complaining ;-p
  • If you are not willing to do the work, then you have to stop complaining ;-p
    But, but, but...I have real work to do for moneys, I don't have time for changing the world. :P
  • If you are not willing to do the work, then you have to stop complaining ;-p
    But, but, but...I have real work to do for moneys, I don't have time for changing the world. :P
    Start Local.
  • Start Local.
    You can join my party as soon as the paperwork is complete. ^_~ Something along the lines of the "Pragmatic Rationalist Party." Maybe "Scientific Pragmatism." I'm not sure yet. But, I'm about halfway through the paperwork.
  • Start Local.
    You can join my party as soon as the paperwork is complete. ^_~ Something along the lines of the "Pragmatic Rationalist Party." Maybe "Scientific Pragmatism." I'm not sure yet. But, I'm about halfway through the paperwork.
    I'd throw something about Humanism in there too. "Pragmatic Rationalist" sounds pretty good though.
  • edited August 2009
    Complain all you want. I keep coming back to my original point. The protests have worked. No more public option. And it isn't over.

You can argue all you want about what methods were used. But who cares. They did what they did, and they got a result. The result is much more important to me. You can't change the past (the heckling), so why cry over spilled milk.
    This article is worth a read.
    As is this.

I'm shocked why you guys are primarily complaining about the protesters. How about complaining that Obama is not standing firm? That's a little more important right now.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • The only things that matter for a political party are its platform, and what it actually does in government. Regardless of sentiment, the Republican party has increased spending, increased the size of the federal government, and held a reactionary social policy.
    Uhh... yeah... Pelosi, Obama, and the Dems have really reigned in spending.

Both parties suck. Wake up, people.
  • I'd throw something about Humanism in there too. "Pragmatic Rationalist" sounds pretty good though.
    The key work is "pragmatic." The only solid platform of the party is the idea that all governmental decisions should be made pragmatically, based on solid evidence or reasonable expectation, for the general betterment of society as a whole, balancing the rights of the individual with the needs of society in favor of the individual wherever the decision to do so is arbitrary.

Obviously, the specific language used needs to be much more precise, but that's the gist of it.
  • Uhh... yeah... Pelosi, Obama, and the Dems have really reigned in spending.
    Did I say they did?

I have two viable parties from which to choose. Both are equally fiscally irresponsible, so that's not a factor in my decision. The Democrats at least waste the money on social programs rather than war and surveillance. If I have to pay anyway, at least the Democratic platform is far more palatable overall.
  • I'd throw something about Humanism in there too. "Pragmatic Rationalist" sounds pretty good though.
    The key work is "pragmatic." The only solid platform of the party is the idea that all governmental decisions should be made pragmatically, based on solid evidence or reasonable expectation, for the general betterment of society as a whole, balancing the rights of the individual with the needs of society in favor of the individual wherever the decision to do so is arbitrary.

Obviously, the specific language used needs to be much more precise, but that's the gist of it.
    I'm all for joining this political party. There's an atheist meetup group in the Capital District that may also be interested in joining. Keep me in the loop about this.
  • I'm all for joining this political party. There's an atheist meetup group in the Capital District that may also be interested in joining. Keep me in the loop about this.
    It completely depends on the actual platform that he puts forth. The name sounds great, but I could call a party the "Peace, Love, and Kittens" party and create a platform whose main agenda is further bankrupting the world economy in an effort to bring down all monetary based systems.