This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

All is well with the world

Comments

• It was a joke..
    D'oh.
  • edited August 2009
    That is one brittle and flimsy happiness if you have to ignore massive portions of reality to maintain it.
    Works for Republicans.
    But are Republicans really happy people inside?
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • I didn't think a simple statement could bring out so much conversation in this thread. Interesting. Maybe I should of posted before work this morning.
  • That is one brittle and flimsy happiness if you have to ignore massive portions of reality to maintain it.
    Works for Republicans.
    I'm not even sure that they're people.
  • But are Republicans really happy people inside?
    Actually we are.
  • edited August 2009
    Actually we are.
    Haha... now I really have to bite my tongue.
  • edited August 2009
    Actually we are.
    Haha... now I really have to bite my tongue.
    If that is the study I recall, they also determined that the margin of error was relatively high and that most republican respondents marked that the suffering of others had little to no baring on their personal happiness. Also, even as skimpily reported on that page, it isn't like the dems are a bunch of downers.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Haha... now I really have to bite my tongue.
    I don't quote you how you'd please and now you hate me?
    If that is the study I recall, they also determined that the margin of error was relatively high and that most republican respondents marked that the suffering of others had little to no baring on their personal happiness. Also, even as skimpily reported on that page, it isn't like the dems are a bunch of downers.
    And your point is?
  • edited August 2009
    It's your complete missing of the point that bothers me, not the way you compose your posts. Thinking that it's what shows up in the blockquote brackets that matters and not what your post accurately responds to just shows even more that you're missing the point.

Illustrated here:
    And your point is?
    Her point is that your data is unreliable.
  • ... and that dems are more sympathetic and empathetic to the pain of others.
  • I don't quote you how you'd please and now you hate me?
    When she says she does hate you, get out the wedding rings... or run.
  • Thinking that it's what shows up in the blockquote brackets that matters and not what your post accurately responds to just shows even more that you're missing the point.
    All I was going for is that Republicans are not unhappy people. I was in no way trying to prove anything about or comparing them at all to Democrats. I think the data supports that much.
  • Thinking that it's what shows up in the blockquote brackets that matters and not what your post accurately responds to just shows even more that you're missing the point.
    All I was going for is that Republicans are not unhappy people. I was in no way trying to prove anything about or comparing them at all to Democrats. I think the data supports that much.
    You don't need data to support that all people can be happy in one way or another.
  • EDIT:
    Mornin' all.
    Wasn't it around 18:00 when you posted that?
    Not in the UK.....
  • This thread is full of win. It's gone from a simple declaration of well being, to a debate over moods and whether people should rain on others parade (which I expected) to a freaking political debate..

I think I am now having one of those blissiful moments ^_^
  • edited August 2009
    Wait, does that mean we're about to have a recursive thread?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • @ Cremlian: Aren't you always jolly? Seriously, I could actually do all the things we joke about doing to your Mom and you would just shrug, say "Eh" and return to what you were doing unperturbed.
  • edited August 2009
    Wait, does that mean we're about to have a recursive thread?
    Strangely enough, the fact that there's all this discussion and entertainment made through such a simple statement of happiness is feeding my own happiness agin. I'm getting that feing of a cat on catnip again, especially after I just watched trigun. No wonder so many people take drugs, this is awesome!

Love and peace! Love and peace! Love and peace!
    I can't stop making this face -----> ^_^
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • All things considered, I am not a very happy person. I've gotten over thoughts of suicide, thankfully, but I don't often find myself in a really good mood. For the most part I'm anxious, overly-sensitive, bored, lonely and sleepy, and there isn't much that really cheers me up anymore. The best mood I can usually attain is a feeling of contentment among good friends, but I haven't been able to see my good friends very much. I'm reasonably sure this is largely a symptom of my current situation (bored, somewhat alienated teenager in a podunk town), but that isn't as reassuring as I'd like it to be.
  • @Funfetus: If you, or anyone else, is having problems with depression, feel free to ask about it.
    I'm not, but thanks for the offer. I was just curious -- probably because this stuff doesn't seem to happen to me. I generally feel pretty content with my life.
    I'm reasonably sure this is largely a symptom of my current situation (bored, somewhat alienated teenager in a podunk town), but that isn't as reassuring as I'd like it to be.
    Bored and alienated in a podunk town aside, just being a teenager is enough to make most people somewhat unhappy. It's a rough time. It does get better. :)
    Actually we are.
    Any study on happiness is suspect in that it's inherently self-reported. Most republicans are Christians, and in my experience, Christians will report that Jesus gives them the joy joy joy joy down in their heart, even when he doesn't. Another possible interpretation: Republicans are much more likely to be rich white people with no real problems.
  • Wow. Lots of debate.

I'm generally happy, but some days I'm super-duper over-the-moon happy, and everything feels bright and wonderful. And then other days I worry about war and stuff and Scott makes me mad or something and I'm just arrrrgh!
    The Rym scale is just about perfect. Hungry/Tired is about a bad as you get, which leads to mildly frustrated, but most of the time Rym is a happy and fearless guy.
  • Love and peace! Love and peace! Love and peace!
    Well dude, now you just rock.
  • edited August 2009
    I've spent the morning having a depressive episode after coming to the realization that my own strength might not be enough to get my life back on track before it's too late.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • ...my own strength might not be enough to get my life back on track before it's too late.
    How true of my own life. ^_^
  • Feeling better after sleeping for a few hours.
  • edited August 2009
    Christians will report that Jesus gives them the joy joy joy joy down in their heart, even when he doesn't.
    Who are you to judge whether or not a belief in an ancient magician makes people happy? :P
    Republicans are much more likely to be rich white people with no real problems.
    HEY! I resemble that remark!
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I usually range between meh to sarcastic and bitter, yet sort of happy to smirking. Anything below meh (being sad or angry) doesn't last very long, unless someone actually gets me furious, in which I get primal.
  • I'm actually trying pretty hard not to feel really bummed right now, which is something that happens to me a lot. I wish I could just instantly cheer up and spend the rest of the day happy.
  • I'm actually trying pretty hard not to feel really bummed right now, which is something that happens to me a lot. I wish I could just instantly cheer up and spend the rest of the day happy.
    My trick is to do something nice, helpful or thoughtful for someone having a worse day than me.
  • edited August 2009
    I'm actually trying pretty hard not to feel really bummed right now, which is something that happens to me a lot. I wish I could just instantly cheer up and spend the rest of the day happy.
    My trick is to do something nice, helpful or thoughtful for someone having a worse day than me.
    Awww, that's so sweet. I like that.