This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Zenkaikon 2009 November 7-8 Valley Forge (List of FRC run panels)

edited November 2009 in Everything Else
A bit late, but I realized there wasn't a public thread talking about the panels that Geeknights and the FRC are running at Zenkaikon in Valley Forge.

Zenkaikon schedule

Just a note if you plan to come, we are probably going to sell out... So pre-reg or show up early (Sunday has a full schedule through 6 so don't be afraid to just come for that!)

Moe Anthropomorphism-tan
Emily Compton & Katsunori Matsushita, Informative/Entertainment
The Japanese have a long tradition of attributing spiritual essense to everyday objects. From kitchen gods to Unix daemons, mechamusume to Hatsune Miku, there is a cute girl hiding in anything and everything if you just look hard enough. Why? How? Come and learn about the latest craze of Japanese fandom and its genesis. SUN, 11:15 AM – 12:15 PM, Panel 2

Geekology
Jessica Fiedor, Acedemic/Informative
Geeks and fans alike spend a great deal of time debating what it means to, well, be geeks and fans. Jess will bring an acedemic perspective to the debate with the unveiling of her nationally-presented research into this topic. SUN, 3:00 - 4:00 PM, Panel 2

Burning Wheel Game Demonstrations
Alex Jarocha-Ernst, Informative/Entertainment
SAT, 3:00 – 6:00 PM, Gaming Workshop

Anime You Should See
Rym DeCoster & Scott Rubin, Informative/Entertainment
You're an anime fan (or a parent/friend of an anime fan, at least), so chances are that you've seen an anime or two. But have you really seen enough to know what you like (or what's good)? Anime is not a genre, but a medium, and there are anime for all tastes. Come see all that anime has to offer, cover your bases, and learn that's it's not all big eyes, small mouths, and power levels over nine thousand. SAT, 7:15 – 8:15 PM, Panel 2

Beyond Dungeons & Dragons
Rym DeCoster & Scott Rubin, Informative/Entertainment
D&D is a great way to get into tabletop role playing games, and for most of us, it was our first foray into that world. As classic and dear to us as it is, however, it has certain limitations. If D&D was your first step, then we're here to give you your next. You've probably never heard of Dogs in the Vineyard, InSpectres, The Burning Wheel, or a whole host of other amazing games. Broaden your gaming horizons, flex your role-playing muscles, and learn what comes after. SUN, 9:00 – 10:00 AM, Panel 2

Anime Match Game
Rym DeCoster & Scott Rubin, Game Show
Based on the original 1970s Match Game, this game show features contestants selected from the audience attempting to match celebrities' always-entertaining answers to fill-in-the-blank questions. SAT, 8:30 – 10:00 PM, Panel 1

Kendo: The Way of the Sword
Katsunori Matsushita, Informative/Entertainment
Interested in Kendo? Want to see just what that wooden sword you bought in the dealer's room can do? Join Katsu as he explains the history, the culture, and the technique of “the way of the sword.” SUN, 9:30 -10:30 AM, Main Events

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited November 2009
    As much as I love Geeknights and as much as I enjoy hanging out with the forumites and the FRC at cons, I'm going to have give a bir.... um...big thumbs down to this because I've got a play to help run, and that is easily more important than a geeky podcast. So, sorry guys.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Also...I question as to why this wasn't brought up a week ago or something so people could pre-reg faster.
  • edited November 2009
    Yupa, Hey if you can't make it you can't make it. This is just a FYI... I've been too busy with the rest of life (local election, planning the panels and other set up and changing jobs at my company) that it slipped my mind that I had not posted here.. (plus we are close to selling out :-p)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • It's next weekend? Fuuuuck...
  • It's next weekend? Fuuuuck...
    Yea, my election is Tuesday and the Convention is that Saturday ^_^ Life is fun!
  • I'm coming up for Sunday to do the mecha panel with Karl. Does anyone want to get together for post con noms?
  • Grr. I'm going to be in DC that weekend.
  • Holy crap how did I not know about you guys going to Zenkaikon?

I'm the Otakon DJ from 08. I'm going to be the main rave DJ at Zenkaikon! So excited!
  • Hey, What non-panel things are happening Sunday? Are there going to be some Burning Wheels, etc?
  • I'll be around the gaming area for most/all of the con, running BW demos or playing random other games. So yes.
  • I have a special GeekNights mashup I'm going to play at the rave. Make sure you're there ;)
  • I have a special GeekNights mashup I'm going to play at the rave. Make sure you're there ;)
    Can you post it somewhere after the event, for those of us who are vastly unable to drop by, ie, overseas and such?
    Can you post it somewhere after the event, for those of us who are vastly unable to drop by, ie, overseas and such?
    Plays included too...all three nights.
  • Plays included too...all three nights.
    I just meant the remix, but whatever makes a motion in your ocean.
  • I'm sitting in the Anime match Games with Geeknights, where are you? :-p
  • edited November 2009
    I'm sitting in the Anime match Games with Geeknights, where are you? :-p
    Doing your mom, just like any other night.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • See you Z-conners tomorrow.
  • edited November 2009
    I don't know if any of you were there, but I played this track about 20min into the rave. The rave was extremely shortened due to poor management of scheduling, but it was fun while it lasted.

The track it is mashed with is Pendulum - 9,000 miles

Enjoy!

http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/7115071/file.html
    Post edited by solarplexus7 on
  • The rave was extremely shortened due to poor management of scheduling,
    Yea, we are going to have less bands next year, like two instead of 4. They require way too much set up time...
  • Got back at 9 last night from my 320 mile round trip and just passed out from exhaustion. It wouldn't have been so bad had I not gone to Viga totally awesome party the night before, but that wasn't an option. Panel went well, all seemed to enjoy it. My throat was a little sore from shouting like a mad man at it.
  • Got back last night as well (hey fancy that!). Had a fun time chilling with Uncle Yo, and met a bunch of crew people. Gut random hugs from two lolita cosplayers which I guess was a plus. Wish I had gone to Viga's party!
  • over 9,000.... more like at the most 2,500 peopleWe didn't turn away 7,000 people...Clearly the reporter missed the dragon ball reference from a volunteer...
  • over 9,000.... more like at the most 2,500 peopleWe didn't turn away 7,000 people...Clearly the reporter missed the dragon ball reference from a volunteer...
    I really need to start remembering to prereg for cons.
    LOL!
  • Got back last night as well (hey fancy that!). Had a fun time chilling with Uncle Yo, and met a bunch of crew people. Gut random hugs from two lolita cosplayers which I guess was a plus. Wish I had gone to Viga's party!
    I thought you'd be with your girlfriend mostly so I didn't want to interfere. I'm sorry.
  • I thought you'd be with your girlfriend mostly so I didn't want to interfere. I'm sorry.
    No worries! Is there anything perchance happening before I leave on Sunday (the 15th)? As she's pretty busy with class, I find I'm playing a lot more Sim City than is perhaps acceptable to maintain a necessary level of sanity.
  • Hay! Just so you all know I love this con it's so close to my house that my seiner prom will be in the same hotel. So I really hope you guys are going to zenkicon next year too. But, I am so happy that I pre-ragisted and got there early holy crap that line.
  • seiner prom
    Your what now?
  • You don't remember being a seiner in high school and going to prom. I mean it was a while ago, but I still remember mine.