This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things you have mispronounced.

Either recently or as a child. Here are some of my examples:

Spanakopita - Me: (spn'AK-o-peeta)
Antigone - Me: (anti-gon)

Everyone ever on the first try:

Yosemite - Everyone: (yoh-se-MYt)
Epitome - Everyone: (epi-TOHM)

Comments

• Archipelago - Me: ärch-i-pe-lah-go
  • I remember reading some book about some ancient culture when I was a kid, and it kept talking about canoes. I pronounced it as in "volcano", and had no idea what it was talking about. I knew perfectly well what a canoe was; I just didn't make the connection to the written word.
  • bag - Me: Ba-y-ug

I am from the South originally and I can't completely shake my old accent.
  • Spatial

Seriously, that word makes no fucking sense.
  • edited November 2009
    Plateau. When I was a little kid, reading a Lion King book. Pla-tee-ah-oo?

Kate: Do you ever pronounce words like "insurance" or "cement" differently also?
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • edited November 2009
    Spatial

Seriously, that word makes no fucking sense.
    It seems it's from "spatium" in Latin. You're right, though; "spacial" is more consistent.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Impudent - Me: Impotent

It was simple word replacement in my first debate in my introduction to logic class in 7th grade. Yeah, I didn't understand why the professor was trying not to laugh and some of the students were laughing until he pulled me aside after the debate to fill me in on the joke. I still feel lightheaded and turn red when I think about it.
  • My mom says Hammock like "Ham Hock". She's from the north.

Also, I say Ya'll a lot, because I'm from South Alabama and I can't shake it.
  • I'm Dutch. I mispronounce so many English words it's not even funny, even when I know how to pronounce them properly. I sometimes just fall flat on my face and keep crawling for a bit in such situations. So I've given up on keeping track of any single such occurrence. Also, dig.
  • I'm Dutch. I mispronounce so many English words it's not even funny, even when I know how to pronounce them properly. I sometimes just fall flat on my face and keep crawling for a bit in such situations. So I've given up on keeping track of any single such occurrence. Also, dig.
    Not that I doubt it's true, but it's hard to imagine given how well you write. :P
  • bag - Me: Ba-y-ug

I am from the South originally and I can't completely shake my old accent.
    Do you mean as in near the Carolinas?
  • respite - Me: (Re-SPITE)

Scalia - Me: (SCALE-ee-yah)

Still working on shaking this last one, especially after reading a particularly stupid opinion he wrote. Most of the time I like his work, but yeesh...
  • You even spelt it wrong!
  • Sauerkraut as Saukeraut.
  • edited November 2009
    Mjolnir
    You even spelt it wrong!
    What? That's the correct spelling for what I intended.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited November 2009
    Blech. Why refer to a comic-book imitation when you could speak of the original myth?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2009
    Blech. Why refer to a comic-book imitation when you could speak of the original myth?
    There's a little armor thing it refers to as well. Also, I am of the ever-increasing opinion that comic-book Thor > original myth Thor. When I think of Thor, I am thinking of comic-book Thor.

They are both fictions. The only literary advantage the myth has over the comic book is age. Comic-book Thor as a character is much more three dimensional and complex than original myth Thor. Further, original myth Thor was, just like most mythological Gods, a selfish, childish ass. Kind of like what Kilarney would be if he had God powers (God forbid). Comic-book Thor has a conscience, and I will never forget one time when he said to a human, "We are not fit Gods for worship."
  • It seems that the MJOLNIR armour is an acronym and hence should be capitalised.
  • edited November 2009
    It seems that the MJOLNIR armour is an acronym and hence should be capitalised.
    So, how do you pronounce it? Do you pronounce it any differently than un-capitalized Mjolnir?
  • Clearly, it needs to be shouted, because it's in capitals. Also, pronouncing different different things with the same name differently is not unheard of.

Honestly, though, I agree that comic-book Thor is awesome; I just don't see why they changed the spelling of Mjöllnir.
  • Ewe was said as "ewwwww" instead of "you."
  • I just don't see why they changed the spelling of Mjöllnir.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't have umlauts available in the typesetting menu when the character was first introduced.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if they just didn't have umlauts available in the typesetting menu when the character was first introduced.
    Everything was lettered by hand back then, though, yeah?
  • I honestly can't remember. I know I've mispronounced words, but someone usually corrects me, and from that point on I pronounce it correctly.
  • edited November 2009
    I know I've mispronounced words, but someone usually corrects me, and from that point on I pronounce it correctly.
    That's what most people do. Do you know anyone who persists in mispronouncing a word even after they've been told the correct pronunciation?
  • Mjöllnir- Me: "mah-jawl-near"
    Geisha- Me: "Gai-sha"

I still cannot fucking pronounce sphygmomanometer. Fuck that word.
  • Do you know anyone who persists in mispronouncing a word even after they've been told the correct pronunciation?
    The only people I know who do that routinely have an accent of some kind (re: Kate Monster), or they're being a deliberate pain in the ass (re: Scott Rubin).

I do mispronounce the names of antibiotics on occasion. "Cephalothin" is one that got me for the longest time. The correct pronunciation is 'sef-A-loe-thin', but I would pronounce it 'sef-AL-a-thin'.
  • edited November 2009
    Antigone - Me: (anti-gon)
    That's how my seventh grade English teacher pronounced it. Yikes.

As for me, when I was a child, I constantly mispronounced "grandma", so I used a corruption instead: Me-Maw (for my maternal grandmother) and Nana (my paternal step-grandma). I used my paternal grandmother's first name (Loretta, a quintessential southern name), mainly because she wanted me to.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited November 2009
    I constantly mispronounced "grandma", so I used a corruption instead: Me-Maw (for my maternal grandmother) and Nana (my paternal step-grandma).
    I would have used "Granmere" and "Gros Papa", but my grandmother was not sufficiently evolved to the point that she could use language, so it was useless to call her anything and we don't know who my grandfather was because she couldn't tell us.
    Do you know anyone who persists in mispronouncing a word even after they've been told the correct pronunciation?
    The only people I know who do that routinely have an accent of some kind (re: Kate Monster), or they're being a deliberate pain in the ass (re: Scott Rubin).
    What!!11!! Scott would do something just to deliberately be an ass?!!11 Say it ain't so. My world view has been totally shatered by this revelation.